RPS

Started by
11 comments, last by jtecin 24 years, 3 months ago

WC3 looks interesting, but its certainly not the first cross-genre product. RPG elements are always a ripe thing to bring into a different genre to spice it up.

But yeah, that always happens to me as well. I go off thinking I have this great new idea, only to find out everyone else has had it as well, but just hasn't gotten around to writing anything with it yet. :P

------------------
- Remnant
- (Steve Schmitt)

- Remnant- (Steve Schmitt)
Advertisement
Oh please. RPS (Role Playing Strategy). You think Blizzard is trying to create
a new genre? Or just rehasing the same old sh*t by rephrasing RTS (Real Time Strategy).
They are obviously trying to make their product stand out from the rest of RTS
games by calling it something "different" when in fact it really is a RTS game.

quote:
Blizzard introduces a new concept in gaming: the RPS
(Role-Playing Strategy) game. A strategy game set heavily within
a role-playing environment, RPS takes the individual combat and
interactive environments found in role-playing games and
combines them within a competitive strategic environment.

This is pure marketing, not some new concept.

Trevor

Here's a thought that's supports my argument that RPS is just marketing glitz.

Why didn't Blizzard create an entirely new product line to introduce this
supposedly new genre of RPS? Instead they used a highly successful product
line, the Warcraft series, all of which are RTS games. Why didn't they go
with Diablo III instead as the new genre of RPS? The Diablo series has more
role-playing in it than Warcraft, and this is what the name RPS emphasizes most.
But no, it's because Warcraft III will be a RTS game, true to its predecessors.

A new genre demands a new game with a new storyline, not a rehashed sequel.
Maybe they should have called this new genre GMS, Game Marketing Strategy.

Trevor

Is that a wizard's hat or a cone?

Is this really the first RPS? From what little I read about it, it sounds more like one of the console Tactic's games, like Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, or Tactics Ogre. What special edge is it that Blizzard is giving Warcraft III to make it any different from these?

Jonathan

Did you read the preview Trevor? The interview said that they were very hesitant in calling it Warcraft III. The only reason they called it that is because it takes place in the highly popular Warcraft universe. Also, the screen shots show a lot of 3D. It has nothing like the look of Warcraft II. Read the Gamespot preview and you'll get a different idea. . .

I did read it, but you simply can't introduce a new genre as a "sequel"
to an entirely different genre. Role-playing games focus on a small
number of characters and invest large amounts of time into their development.
If any of the characters die, you usually can't get them back, so you've lost
everything. And this is normally not played on a level-by-level scenario.

By contrast, strategy games like the RTS Warcraft series focus on a large
number of units. The player really doesn't care about developing who they
are, you just create them by the dozen and send them out to get slaughtered.
You can't take units with you to the next level, so everything basically
starts over again.

And whether the game is 2D or 3D, the look itself doesn't have anything
to do with what genre the game represents.

I think Blizzard didn't have the balls to start up a new game series or
a new storyline, in fear that their RPS marketing concept would fail
or not do as good as the rest.

Trevor

Okay, first I thought I had this brilliant idea of a game that combined a great 3D story and unit commanding. Then, I was looking at a preview of Warcraft III, and it turns out Blizzard already has the genre named a Role Playing Strategy, or RPS. It figures, I try to come up with a totally original idea and someone already has thought of it. Anyway, this genre has to be awesome. Warcraft II is my favorite game, and I love RPG's. I sure hope Blizzard doesn't ruin this genre by making a crappy Warcraft 3, because it seems like a great idea to take and run with. Anyway, what does you guys think of a Role Playing Strategy game? I might work on something similar for my next game, except it will probably lean a little more towards role playing. . .
I understand your argument, but I am still hoping for something original from Blizzard. They said that you WOULD have a lot of interest in developing characters. Also, in a role playing game if your character dies you do get them back. I am hoping this game doesn't go on a mission by mission basis, it is just one big war, like the people at Blizzard said it would be.
"You simply can''t introduce a new genre as a ''sequel'' to an entirely different genre."

Perhaps you mean you can''t make a sequel to a game that''s in a different genre as the original? In response to this I ask: WHY NOT?

Using Warcraft III as Blizzard''s first entry into this new RPS genre is an excellent idea. The game is strategy-oriented enough to justify making it a sequel to Warcraft II. It''s a new kind of game; giving players something they''re familiar with, in this case the world of Warcraft, to help ease them into a new style of gameplay is essential.

Yes there are marketing strategies involved. So what? If they don''t market the game correctly no one will play it. I certainly disagree with the notion that the next Warcraft game HAS to be just another RTS.
Warcraft III sounds a lot like a 3D version of Heroes of Might & Magic. Genre has been done before, and someone is putting a 3d "magic touch" on it. Yawn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement