PSX Net Yaroze developement and PS2 Linux

Started by
18 comments, last by KwamiMatrix 22 years, 8 months ago
Hi everyone. I would like to know if anyone knows if and how I could obtain a Net Yaroze playstation dev kit. You know, the black Playstation that serves as a developement Playstation. I would still really like one. I also hope that Sony Computer Entertainment brings PS2 Linux to the US. I also want to have experience developing for my PS2. If you haven''t visited www.ps2linux.scea.com, go there and say yes to purchasing PS2 Linux if it came to the USA! The more support, the better. You can also check out www.runix.ru, and see there version of the Linux kernel for PSX. There will also be a version of Linux by them for PS2. thankx. Edem Attiogbe
Edem Attiogbe
Advertisement
Check ebay daily. People have auctioned off their Yaroze systems from time to time.
Sony no longer sells the yaroze. Like it has been said, you can get one off of ebay if you keep an eye out.

There is currently a group of people on this site, that are going to try and set up a petition, that appears to be along the lines of "please re-release yaroze, or atleast some doc''s on how to make psx games" that I have somewhat started, and am somewhat the head of.

I''ll get working on writing the petition as soon as possible, but I just don''t have enough spare time to get it done for a while.

There are resources to make psx games without a yaroze, however they are no where near as sony''s documents would be.

For information about the current status of the petition, or just information about psx dev, I am starting a new post today, about the current status.

I don''t mean to be rude, but please do not post in more than one channel. This is bothersome, and I promise you that you will not get any responses faster. Especially since you are asking for info on where to get yaroze, and anyone who would know good enough to say, would be watching the console dev forum. Thank you.

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People
Great, I fully support a petition for Sony Computer Entertainment to re-release the Net Yaroze. When it is ready, include me.

Edem Attiogbe
Edem Attiogbe
why use a yaroze?
I code with my grey 7500 Playstation, you need a bunch of stuff, but you can get it to work for development,

check:

psx.rules.org
psxdev.de
napalm.intelinet.com
dev.paradogs.com
"why use a yaroze?"

Because it''s legal.

Because you get all the official documentation and updates without waiting for it to appear (and you have to hunt) on the net.

Because you get full Sony support, which means proper technician answers.

Because against what most of the hacker sites say, it is a much better system than the illegal hacks. Games that appear on the yaroze have been consistently better than most illegal games. There is also a huge list of people who have entered into the industry because of the Yaroze, or even games that have appeared on the shelf that started life as Yaroze games.

Because $250(last cost) for a license and tools to one of the most popular systems every created is a pretty good alternative to being a hacker.

BTW before anyone takes offence, I''m not against the people who choose not to use the alternative means, I communicate with a few of them frequently, however I''m just responding to the direct question as someone who has used both means.

Marc Lambert

marc@darkhex.com

Marc. Help Wanted template | Game development isn't easy! | Indie interviews
Bloodlust is back! -Leave your morals and political correctness at the door.

Sorry for the OT post, and mlambert, this is not a personal attack at you or anything.

quote:Original post by mlambert
Because it''s legal.

Hold on - how is what these "PSX Hackers" doing illegal? I just want to get that straitened out first..

Because you get all the official documentation and updates without waiting for it to appear (and you have to hunt) on the net.

Not everyone out there uses the official Sony docs. In fact, almost all of the so-called "PSX Hackers" don''t. Some people have done a phenominal amount of work in reverse engineering the playstation, all in a 100% legal way.

Because against what most of the hacker sites say, it is a much better system than the illegal hacks.

Any system is only as good as the person that uses it. The so-called "hacker-system" is almost exactly the same as that used by the Yaroze, just without the accompaning software.

Games that appear on the yaroze have been consistently better than most illegal games. There is also a huge list of people who have entered into the industry because of the Yaroze, or even games that have appeared on the shelf that started life as Yaroze games.

This again falls back to the issue of documentation. These "illegal games" (why are they illegal?) were made with very little knowledge of the underlying hardware, and their documentation almost entirely consists of educated guesses, and the gurantee that only 50% is likely to be correct.

Just the very idea that they were able to work in this limeted environment, with really very little idea of how the hardware works, and are actually able to create something is pretty phenominal, in my own humble opinion.

But maybe that''s just me.

-mark
I''m don''t have a lot of time right now, but I gotta answer this so I applogize if any of this seems blunt and to the point.

quote:Original post by mafried
Hold on - how is what these "PSX Hackers" doing illegal? I just want to get that straitened out first..

It''s not. Once you buy something, you can do whatever you want to it. Even light it on fire and burn it if you want. However, it IS illegal if you sell a game you have made for it.

quote:
Any system is only as good as the person that uses it. The so-called "hacker-system" is almost exactly the same as that used by the Yaroze, just without the accompaning software.

Wrong. The libs, doc, and tools that come with the yaroze are far better than the hacked ones, and the official dev kit ones they sell to companies are far better than the yaroze.

quote:This again falls back to the issue of documentation. These "illegal games" (why are they illegal?)

They are illeagal if you try to sell them because of licensing issues. Other than that they are not.
quote:
were made with very little knowledge of the underlying hardware, and their documentation almost entirely consists of educated guesses, and the gurantee that only 50% is likely to be correct.

This is one reason yaroze is better -- the docs. But don''t forget, even if they know all the stuff, the libs with the yaroze are better than the ones that have been hacked out.

quote:
Just the very idea that they were able to work in this limited environment, with really very little idea of how the hardware works, and are actually able to create something is pretty phenominal, in my own humble opinion.

But maybe that''s just me.

-mark

yes it is. but think about what could be done with all the info sony would give.

sorry if I was blunt, but so you know I''m not flaming you--- i agree with you in some areas. i don''t enough time to say more now though.

Drakonite

Shoot Pixels Not People
Well, I agree with Drakonite. The Net Yaroze is the official hobbyist development Playstation, so the hardware will work better and will be more stable than any reverse engineered PSX. Secondly, with the software developement kits and libraries, it is only obvious that Sony''s software libraries are far better than any hacked version. Speaking of hacked versions, does anyone know how a hacker would go about developing their own PSX libraries? Anyway, I want a PSX Net Yaroze bad, along with the PS2 version of the Linux kit and its libraries. Someone was talking about a PSX Net Yaroze petition to Sony Computer Entertainment. Can someone please clue me in as to how to participate. Thanks.

Edem Attiogbe
Edem Attiogbe
That would be me that has been doing the whole sony petition thing... right now I am working on the petition (i''ve actually had some time the past few days!) and someone has been making an online signup page.

Neither of these will be released until the petition is completly ready, for reasons that should be common sense.

The thread that is now the official spot for posting of the news is this one it is located in the console/pda forum

And don''t worry, when it is ready, it will be up for weeks, and probably a month or two, before we compile all the signitures and send it to sony. Yeah, i know that sounds like a while, but dont'' worry, it''s the best way to go.

Drakonite

Shoot Pixels Not People

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement