A+ Certification - how difficult is it?

Started by
8 comments, last by Binomine 13 years, 11 months ago
Hey, I'm looking at getting A+ certifified, merely because most the tech-support jobs in my area seem to require it. I don't have a formal education, all my knowledge is self-taught through online articles and books, and I'm wondering how difficult getting certified is. Has anyone here taken the new 2009 tests? How hard are they? The extent of my hardware knowledge is summed up in that one time I once upgraded my video-card; I've never built my own PC (though I'd like to eventually, just haven't got the money atm), or anything like that, I'm mostly a software guy so far. The problem is, looking at what the test covers, it usings alot of hardware terms I don't understand. To give you an example, here is some of what the test covers that I'm not yet familiar with: 1.2 Explain motherboard components, types and features • Form Factor o ATX / BTX, o micro ATX o NLX • I/O interfaces o Sound o Video o USB 1.1 and 2.0 o Serial o IEEE 1394 / Firewire o Parallel o NIC o Modem o PS/2 • Memory slots o RIMM o DIMM o SODIMM o SIMM • Processor sockets • Bus architecture • Bus slots o PCI o AGP o PCIe o AMR o CNR o PCMCIA • PATA o IDE o EIDE • SATA, eSATA • Contrast RAID (levels 0, 1, 5) • Chipsets • BIOS / CMOS / Firmware o POST My question is, should I just grab a book on the CompTIA A+ Certification exams itself, or should I grab a book on computer hardware, or should I take a class? Most of the computer classes around here (Kansas City, Missouri) are seriously dumbed down, covering everything from turning on your computer, to even (*gasp*) moving the mouse across the desktop! And in only 8 weeks, too! How do you recommend I proceed? (Like I mentioned, most entry-level tech jobs around here require A+, whether or not it's of any real value)
Advertisement
My system:

Hung out at the bookstore for a few mornings one week, studied from one of the A+ books and paid for some coffee.

Took test, passed.

The textbooks should lay it all out for you, but I took my tests in 2005 so I don't know how much has changed. If the score requirement is similar, they're lenient enough on you. I think I needed a 70% to pass...

Now I work in desktop support and can't tell you the last time I needed 95% of the test material. A lot of the IRQ/DMA/bus stuff is for "supporting legacy systems" but I'd be shocked if you found a job that had you working on configurations for old 386's. The majority of the hardware portion is just some flashcard-worthy memorization about compatibility and maximum number of chained devices, I think the memory module pin counts were the most granular my questions got.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

I passed it my senior year of high school with like an 800/900 without studying.(well I did look at a cheat sheet the night before)
Granted it helped that I'd been fixing and repairing computers for the school district since I was a freshman :D

Anyhoo hardware is easy. Seeing that you've never messed with it, I suggest you start building computers (even if it's just taking apart old ones ones learning the parts using wikipedia, then putting them back together.). The only real difficult part of the test is memorizing pins' (how many pins are on a vga cable, which ones are grounds etc)

But yea, spend a day or two reading the study guides and you should have no problems. I've even seen computer literate people pass it.

The real question is why do places still force its employees to have useless pieces of paper.
486ing for life

http://www.gearcity.info/
http://www.ventdev.com/
Alright, thanks guys. I'll just grab a used book, flip through it, and if the book makes sense, take the test.

And the next time someone is tossing out a computer, I'll take it apart for fun and see if I can put it back together.
The A+ test is one of a set of tests known as "Adaptive" tests. Based on the answers to previous questions it will present you with questions that are judged to be either harder or easier. This doesn't prevent you from failing, but it does tend to make it a lot easier to pass.

I tend to hold most forms of certification in rather low regard (for hiring purposes) unless they have lab components. However, HR and such tend to have other priorities and the ability to easily tick a box for resume X that says "Has A+" makes their lives just a tiny bit more meaningless.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Anyone who built their own system at least once, or at least knows how to, can easily pass without a problem. The hardest part of A+ is that they word the questions in a way where there is multiple right answers, but only one most right answer. Lots of practice tests are very useful, especially ones that also highlight weaknesses in your skill set.

Books, like Sybex's, are helpful for general knowledge if you are somewhat unsure of your skills. Classes are a complete waste of time and money, unless you are completely unskilled in hardware and software, and are afraid to open your PC and look inside.

Just as an aside, A+ is a worthless cert on it's own. Unless it is a new requirement for a current job or a promotion, don't expect anything from it. At the very least, plan on getting N+ next.
Quote:Original post by Servant of the Lord
Hey, I'm looking at getting A+ certifified, merely because most the tech-support jobs in my area seem to require it.

That is the ONLY reason to get it.

The A+ cert basically says that you know enough to work at a tech support call center.

Think of it as a filter that eliminates most of the people who are computer illiterate. It is the white-collar version of a food handler's permit: The food handler's permit lets you cook fries at McDonalds, the A+ cert lets you answer calls for people who can't figure out where the "any" key is located.

For any game DEVELOPMENT work, it is useless. The certification you need there is a bachelor's degree in computer science.
Quote:Original post by Binomine
Just as an aside, A+ is a worthless cert on it's own. Unless it is a new requirement for a current job or a promotion, don't expect anything from it. At the very least, plan on getting N+ next.

I'll plan on getting them both then, thanks.
Quote:Original post by frob
For any game DEVELOPMENT work, it is useless. The certification you need there is a bachelor's degree in computer science.

Yeah, I realize that. I have no intention in working in the game industry, except as an independant developer.

Due to so many people looking for a job at this time (even entry-level tech support jobs), it's rather hard for me to find one, so I figure slapping a "A+ certification" on my resume, will at least put me slightly above those without it; plus, like I said, alot of jobs have it listed as a requirement, regardless of its worth.
Anyone who built their own system at least once, or at least knows how to, can easily pass without a problem. The hardest part of A+ is that they word the questions in a way where there is multiple right answers, but only one most right answer. Lots of practice tests are very useful, especially ones that also highlight weaknesses in your skill set.

I'll disagree with this, having taken the test just a few months ago because I had nothing else to do in Iraq, I can verify that it gets as deep as X number of pins for X cable etc. Due to my pretty extensive background in old hardware via working as an electronics technician for the military I felt this test wasy easy. Someone who's only replaced a video card and knows relatively nothing about the history of hardware, and the progression it's taken within the last decade I'd advise to study.

While it's not the hardest test in the world, or even a hard test...not knowing information at all can make it such.

Quote:

Almost every job I've looked at civilian side either wants certs of 4-5+ years of experience in that job. A very common cert wanted is the A+ cert, while it doesn't show you're amazing at working with computers or anything, it does show that atleast you've been familiarized with common components that you may find in a business settings.

Furthermore, if you plan on taking your technician job to the next level and work with anything in a basic corporation setting, chances are(due to contract issues and financing) that you'll see some really old hardware still being used because frankly, it squeeks by to get the job done and the company would rather spend their money buying new Mr. Coffee's and G15 keyboards for their offices, ask me how I know. :)

____________________________________________________________My Biggest Weakness: Too quick to judgeKnowing your own weaknesses is your biggest strength. What's your's?

Quote: Everyday I wake up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. - by Robert Orben
I did take 2006, not the new 2009.
Quote:Original post by Christopher Loyd

I'll disagree with this, having taken the test just a few months ago because I had nothing else to do in Iraq, I can verify that it gets as deep as X number of pins for X cable etc.
While I agree that some of the questions were actually difficult, the majority of them were not. I had a question about standard cable lengths, but I also had twice as many questions on toddler handling.
Quote:
Quote:Just as an aside, A+ is a worthless cert on it's own. Unless it is a new requirement for a current job or a promotion, don't expect anything from it. At the very least, plan on getting N+ next.

Almost every job I've looked at civilian side either wants certs of 4-5+ years of experience in that job. A very common cert wanted is the A+ cert, while it doesn't show you're amazing at working with computers or anything, it does show that atleast you've been familiarized with common components that you may find in a business settings.
A lot of jobs require A+, but having A+ will not get a person a lot of jobs. Kind of like how being an American citizen is a requirement for pretty much every job in the US, but only being an American citizen will not get you many jobs.

I do believe certs are useful. Certs show that a person has demonstrated they know certain things. An A+ shows you have obtained the same amount of info someone 3 months on the job has. Alone, that is not very much at all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement