• Create Account

Open GL in VC++??

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 kaiel090x   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 August 2001 - 06:37 PM

My question is, well, my problem is this: I have the standard edition of microsofts visual c++ compiler, and it can only run the program(exe) I make through the MSVC++ program itself(the compiler). I dont not have the money for the professional edition, but I realized something in my Code Warrior compiler. I can create windows 32 apps. Can I just use that for openGL support, or do I absolutely need to use MSVC++''s compiler? ~ from the depths of the ocean

Sponsor:

#2 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 10 August 2001 - 07:21 PM

You can use OpenGL with just about any compiler you want. But, shouldn''t the standard version of MSVC allow you to compile to executable?

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

#3 Zerosignull   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 August 2001 - 09:26 PM

Check in ure codewarrior header directory. usually there is a sub folder called "gl" check in there and c if gl.h glaux.h etc are in there. if they are then ull be able to compile opengl

~prevail by daring to fail~

#4 kaiel090x   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 August 2001 - 03:45 AM

I can compile, the thing is, the program only runs when you compile it. You cant just click on the exe. The standard Edition only lets you compile through the MSVC++ app.
quote:
Original post by Null and Void
You can use OpenGL with just about any compiler you want. But, shouldn''t the standard version of MSVC allow you to compile to executable?

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

~ from the depths of the ocean

#5 Zerosignull   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 August 2001 - 04:17 AM

It does seem strange that the standard edition the edition to which u expect most generall pple to hav so to now alow the compilation executables is strange!!!! ne way msvc has to create a executable somwhere aon ure hd search for it when ure running the program

#6 kaiel090x   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 August 2001 - 04:24 AM

It does create it, it just doesnt run. When you click the exe, it gives you an error about not being able to run unless you are in the program, and go to run. And then the script wil run, and the exe is made, but again when you click the exe it wont run. WHEN I DOUBLE CLICK ON THE ICON(exe): It gives me this error saying distribution of this product is illegal, meaning, I cant go sell my game if I made it in standard.

Code warrior has the following header files I believe are associated with OpenGL:
gl.h,glaux.h,glu.h.
Code warriors header file folder has probbly around 950 header files, so I would say it has every one. So I could just input my OpenGL code in my code warrior compiler, then right?

quote:
Original post by Zerosignull
It does seem strange that the standard edition the edition to which u expect most generall pple to hav so to now alow the compilation executables is strange!!!! ne way msvc has to create a executable somwhere aon ure hd search for it when ure running the program

Edited by - kaiel090x on August 11, 2001 11:30:36 AM

Edited by - kaiel090x on August 11, 2001 11:34:28 AM

#7 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 11 August 2001 - 04:28 AM

I have MSVC++ Intro Edition, more/less the most basic edition, and it''ll let me run the exe file while MSVC++ isn''t running. I have debugging turned on, so the exe is always outputed to a subdirectory of my main project folder called "Debug" (the default directory). Just move the created exe to your main project folder & it should run fine.

#8 Weatherman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 August 2001 - 04:53 AM

I have Visual C++ Version 6.0 (Standard Edition) and I have no difficulty running my programs from the executable (.exe).

Are you sure that you have the Standard Edition (or do you have an "academic edition" or an edition that is bundled with a book or is part of some other offer)?

#9 kaiel090x   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 August 2001 - 05:05 AM

It came with "Game Programming Starter Kit 4.0" or something like that. But it says its standard edition.

quote:
Original post by Weatherman
I have Visual C++ Version 6.0 (Standard Edition) and I have no difficulty running my programs from the executable (.exe).

Are you sure that you have the Standard Edition (or do you have an "academic edition" or an edition that is bundled with a book or is part of some other offer)?

#10 Tha_HoodRat   Members   -  Reputation: 143

Posted 11 August 2001 - 05:10 AM

He probably has the intro edition however , even the Intro(minimum) allows you to make stand alone programs . Its just that these executables have an annoying message Box (of course you could easily get rid of it ).

#11 kaiel090x   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 August 2001 - 05:17 AM

How do I get rid of it?

quote:
Original post by Tha_HoodRat
He probably has the intro edition however , even the Intro(minimum) allows you to make stand alone programs . Its just that these executables have an annoying message Box (of course you could easily get rid of it ).

#12 TerranFury   Members   -  Reputation: 142

Posted 12 August 2001 - 11:19 AM

I don't know how to get rid of the dialog box, but I know one way you can generate EXEs that never had the box to begin with. That is to use the Intel Performance compiler. A trial of version 5.0 is available free from Intel (go to their website). It integrates into the Visual C++ IDE so it behaves almost exactly like Microsoft's compiler. Sure it expires, but you know how to set the Windows clock, so I'm sure you'll find a solution to that little problem...

Edited by - TerranFury on August 12, 2001 6:26:04 PM

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS