• Create Account

Searching for a FPS Game Engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 SnakeM120   Members   -  Reputation: 140

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

Hello, im searching for a FPS Game Engine it should use C++ be Free for use of Indie Dev. If someone could help me find something similiar or something i could use that would be awesome. By the way i searchd the Web and just found a Engine that would go with that. That would be UDK the Unreal Engine im just not sure if its for Free Indie use or not.

Thanks for now.

Sponsor:

#2 ishkabible   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:59 PM

what about quake2 engine? it meets your criteria, .md2 models are arguably the most widely available freely on the internet so you wouldn't even need to learn to make modles.

#3 pothb   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:03 PM

Quote:
Original post by SnakeM120
Hello, im searching for a FPS Game Engine it should use C++ be Free for use of Indie Dev. If someone could help me find something similiar or something i could use that would be awesome. By the way i searchd the Web and just found a Engine that would go with that. That would be UDK the Unreal Engine im just not sure if its for Free Indie use or not.

Thanks for now.

It's free to use. But if you make more than 5K I believe, you have to start paying royalties.

#4 Denzin   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

I'd recommend UDK, eventually if your game is successful you will have to pay however it is an easy use engine. Your C++ knowledge will have to evolve into the c++ like unreal script, and you will need to create your own skeletal meshes (their defaults are not free to use)

#5 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17937

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

Quote:
That would be UDK the Unreal Engine im just not sure if its for Free Indie use or not.
The UDK is a very good piece of technology. You can read about licencing terms along with some examples on this page, from which I quote the following example that is probably most relevant to you:
Quote:
from UDK Licencing
A team creates a game with UDK that they intend to sell. After six months of development, they release the game through digital distribution and they earn $15,000 in the first calendar quarter after release. Their use of UDK during development requires no fee. Upon release they would pay US $99.99 for a Royalty Bearing license. After earning $15,000, they would be required to pay Epic $2,500 ($0 on the first $5,000 in revenue, and $2,500 on the next $10,000 in revenue). On subsequent revenue, they are required to pay the 25% royalty.
There is also some relevant information in the Licencing and Business/Legal sections of the UDK Frequently Asked Questions.

Essentially, you can use the UDK for free during development, but it will cost you some money if you intend to sell your game. If your game is a wild success you do have the option of negotiating for a proper commercial licence should it turn out to be cheaper than the royalties owed. This is a high quality, well supported and commercially proven technology that is probably worth the costs involved, but of course the final decision is yours and should be made based on your own needs, goals and level of funding.

If you're looking for more options you could also check out DevMaster.net's 3D Game and Graphics Engine Database. Irrlicht may be a good starting point to investigate.

If you're after more specific help than that you'll need to give us more information on the features you're after in the engine, whether support and/or additional tools are important to you, etc.

Hope that helps! [smile]

#6 SnakeM120   Members   -  Reputation: 140

0Likes

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

Ok let me abit specific I want a Engine that is writen in C++ so i can work on, Is Free for Indie Games ( meaning i can make money with out License), Importable models from Autodesk 3ds Max and it should be FPS. Its just a game to start of a Indie Company realy i don't wanna make a big Hush about something i just wanna try earning money by putting Games on my Homepage so people can buy them.

Edit: And thx for the Anwsers^^ i been tryning with UDK but i can't use C++ since i don't have the License and Quake is not realy my thing ( meaning the Grafik doesn't Suprise me ^^; sadly)

#7 Dom_152   Members   -  Reputation: 437

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:13 AM

Quake 3 or the Cube 2 engine: http://sauerbraten.org/

#8 SnakeM120   Members   -  Reputation: 140

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

Is maybe Darkbasic free for Indie games? Because it looks like i could use it.

#9 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17937

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:36 PM

Quote:
Is maybe Darkbasic free for Indie games? Because it looks like i could use it.
No.

You could have found that -- or your question about the UDK -- out simply by viewing the product websites.

If you're after this type and quality of product, perhaps you should consider spending a small amount of money; they aren't free, but they're pretty cheap and are a good proven foundation.

Otherwise, you've been offered a couple of suggestions, and have the DevMaster list to look through. Do Irrlicht or Cube 2 meet your needs?

#10 SnakeM120   Members   -  Reputation: 140

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:21 AM

Quote:
Original post by jbadams
Do Irrlicht or Cube 2 meet your needs?

Well Irrlicht has a better Grafic but the programming is realy hard
Then again Cube 2 is easy to Programm but leaks on the Grafic.

I would maybe choose Cube 2sinc ei don't have anything else at the momment.

#11 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17937

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:32 AM

1. The quality of the artwork makes a big difference in the graphic quality of a game. A really advanced engine with bad artwork can look bad, and a really simple engine with great artwork can look great. If you're after specific effects or capabilities you should make sure the engine supports them, but if you just think the screenshots look bad keep in mind you may be able to get better results by using better quality models and textures.

Keep in mind also however that better quality artwork can sometimes cost more money, which you seem to be unwilling to spend.

2. Game engines are rarely simple to use, and if you're finding the ones that meet your desires to be too difficult you may need to work on improving your programming skills, or invest in buying something that provides simpler tools such as FPS Creator.

#12 SnakeM120   Members   -  Reputation: 140

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:12 AM

1. So the people only look at the Grafics from the game. Hmm interessting never seen it from that point of view.

2. I had FPS Creator when i was 15 or 14 i guess not sure. Anyway i made some games with it then i moved on with does other Engines like UDK. And they were still too easy so i want maybe a engine that can make me think harder or some what.

( i should start moddeling also right?)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS