• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Help a new guy.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 borg343   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

So, I'm starting to work on a game with a couple friends. We are confused on what engines we need and how to integrate them into one program. We are also looking for suggestions on what engines to use. Here's what we think we need. Anything wrong that you see, feel free to correct me, I'm still figuring out game development.

Base Language: C++
Graphics: OpenGL (That's what were thinking, suggestions please)
Networking: Winsock (Suggestions)
AI: No idea.
Audio: Again, no idea.

Also need to figure out where to program a UI in.

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated.

Resistance is Futile,
Borg343

Sponsor:

#2 Fl4sh   Banned   -  Reputation: 30

0Likes

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:30 PM

use XNA. O_o

#3 borg343   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:42 PM

Hmmm, that makes everything easier.... Thanks for that....

#4 SnakeM120   Members   -  Reputation: 142

0Likes

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:07 PM

You want to use C++ so that means you already know C++ if im Correct. If so try using the Game Engine Irrlicht or Sauerbraten. Their free and are Used with C++ and they are both compatible with OpenGL and Direct compatible i think. And im not sure again but Sauerbraten has online in the Engine already

#5 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

0Likes

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:09 PM

Use LISP.

#6 AlexanderRieder   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:26 PM

If this is your first game - go for a simple 2D game instead of a 3D one.
Also, I would recommend SFML/SDL/Allegro for 2D game developement with C/C++.
All 3 of them have pretty good docs and tutorials out there - just google it.

If you dont have any experience in network programming - dont do it until youre comfortable with the basics of game developement! It just makes stuff way harder to program in my opinion.

Anyway - good luck with your project.

#7 oler1s   Members   -  Reputation: 589

0Likes

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:14 AM

What exactly is the level of programming experience of everyone on the team? If it's, "we just started" or "we just started reading a book", you are in trouble. You're going down the route that demands experience. Start off with Unity or UDK. Or paid options. This just simply reflects your lack of experience, and your demands to make a game now.

#8 ChurchSkiz   Members   -  Reputation: 458

0Likes

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:02 AM

Quote:
Original post by owl
Use LISP.

ROFL, awesome.

#9 borg343   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:25 AM

Yes, I shall use LISP. But seriously, yes, the reason I said C++ is because I have experience in that language, and I am at an intermediate level. Teaching myself more everyday. I have looked at XNA and have all the tools, but I am as lost an English-speaking man watching a telenovella, in C#. Thank you all for the helpful suggestions and advice.

Resistance is Futile,
borg343

#10 dublindan   Members   -  Reputation: 457

0Likes

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:22 AM

Quote:
Original post by owl
Use LISP.

Clojure would be a good choice, actually. Especially with something like the excellent penumbra framework.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS