• Create Account

Multiple Viewports/Perspectives

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 asaari   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 August 2001 - 11:07 AM

How can you make Multiple Viewports/Perspectives?? Like a square in the top left of your screen that shows the view through someone in your squad''s eyer etc.? Ive seen this done in a few D3D games, but I dont remember seeing it in openGL, is there a way to do this, is it very complicated? thx in advance

Sponsor:

#2 Shannon Barber   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1361

Posted 14 August 2001 - 11:21 AM

To do something like that, you''d need to render two scenes, your view and the buddy-cam view, render the buddy cam in a samll off-screen buffer and blit onto the primary buffer.

If you wanted a rear-view, you might be able to use environment mapping...

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent

#3 Slinger   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 August 2001 - 06:51 PM

Ive done this before, one of the ways to do this is to render the everything you need from the 2nd cameras POV to a texture, then render the texture to a quad. The only problem with this is the speed factor. This will probably slow down your framerate considerably so you will want to implement a lower LOD for the 2nd POV because it will probably be rendered to a smaller portion of the screen.

#4 wolfman8k   Members   -  Reputation: 140

Posted 17 August 2001 - 09:46 AM

I think the simplest way is something like this:

glViewport(yadda yadda);
// set projection matrix

// Draw first scene

glViewport(yadda yadda);
// set projection matrix

// Draw second scene

I''m not sure if you can have the viewports overlapping though.

#5 ironfroggy   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 August 2001 - 11:26 AM

I''m sure the viewport thing would work. I was going to suggest that too. If there are any problems, just mask out the rest of the scene when doing the 2nd camera.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS