• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

Please Read And Reply.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

#1 yodasmacker   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 August 2001 - 02:28 PM

Ok...Hello everyone I have a question about alot of things i''m just getting started in game design actually today is my first day..lol. I want to kno if anyone knows where I can learn c and C++ to make a game where do I learn this kind of language at w/o buying a book and I dont wanna learn the language to just make programs I wanna make games. But if u know and if u got aol im pm me my s/n is AreYouOk12 and my email is yodasmacker@hotmail.com for msn messanger or you can use that just to email me if someone would answer me I would appreciate it alot. .............

Sponsor:

#2 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 14 August 2001 - 02:55 PM

Iam a professional c,c++ ist i can help you .

#3 Martee   Members   -  Reputation: 476

Posted 14 August 2001 - 03:17 PM

New? Start Here!

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee

#4 masterchaos   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 August 2001 - 04:12 AM

try www.astentech.com with links to C/C++ tutorials and source

#5 baffler86   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 August 2001 - 04:23 AM

Hi!
I just want to tell you that if you don''t learn the language and make a couple of at least simple programs in it to show that you understand it, Game Programming will be alot harder than if you learn the basics of the language. I know you just want to make games and thats cool but its like diving off the deep end and doing the backstroke the first time you see a pool (just a way to describe the relationship). Hey but if you think you can do it go ahead!

A couple of years ago I tried doing the same thing. I did not know a pointer from a hole in the wall and jumped right into game programming. When I looked at the book (Teach Yourself Game Programming in 21 Days) I was incredily lost by what they were doing.

Just some things to think about.

#6 Calibur as boolean   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 August 2001 - 04:28 AM

im actually not much of a programmer as id like to be ;''( but i for some reason have an incredibly good nac for stucturally designing games.. if you need any help.. e-mail me

#7 Midnight Coder   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 August 2001 - 04:34 AM

I would really suggest buying books because they help a great deal. But if you absolutely can''t due to not having enough money or something, there are a few places on the internet. Follow the link Martee gave which will explain a few more things.

Also, don''t learn C/C++ for game programming. I know your intent is to make games, and you will make them eventually, but I suggest when you start learning to just focus on the language itself and not worry about games. It will be a while before you can start making even a simple game, because there is a lot to learn. Just don''t get discouraged. It took me 2 years before I wrote my first DirectX game.

Make sure you go to the for beginners section, you''ll definately want to read that. Martee gave the link,

#8 evaclear   Members   -  Reputation: 162

Posted 16 August 2001 - 05:15 AM

They say history repeats itself, and by looking at this post I can see it remains true. It was about 8 years ago now that I made the decision to "Program games". After making that "Hello world" program that every programming book has, I decided I was ready to take on the task. After buying numerous books specificaly on game programming, I decided it was way over my head. So the books went on to my bookshelf and just sat there. Though the game books sat there, I was determined to make a game. So I decided to read up on the things that were talked about in the game books. Matricies, vectors, bit wise operators, stacks, queues, linked lists, and so on. However it only took a short ammount of time to determine that each of these things were built off of others. It was like a giant spider web. Each point I reached had 4 more paths to follow, and there was no end in site. Again I realized I was out of my league, so the new books went on to the book shelf. Although I was discouraged, the game programming idea never left my mind. Luckly for me at the time I made that decision, I was on my way into college. I decided to major in computer science, and took some classes. The classes consisted of the basic C++ book, which we were to read, and do the assignments at the end of the chapter. Once again I started with the "Hello world" program, and soon after that more advanced programs that had input and output. About 1/2 way through the class the major gaps in knowledge started filling in. I finaly understood Stacks, queues, and linked lists, pointers, matricies, vectors, the list goes on and on. Those books that sat on my bookshelf for the past year or two were dusted off, and finaly I understood them.
And all because my college instructors FORCED me to write those stupid text programs that had NOTHING to do with making games (or so I thought).

Anyway my point here is to stop you from wasting your time, and getting frustrated. People who do C++ or C or any other programming language are considered to be "Software Engineers". The term Engineer is used to define someone who builds something. Other engineers build buildings. However the building will not stand long if it does not have a good foundation. In the case of "Software engineers" knowledge is your foundation. If you don''t have the appropriate knowledge your going to tumble, which means you''ll have to start over again from the start.

Determination, and enthusiasm only gets you so far. So please heed the words of someone who''s been where you are. Go out and buy a Good C++ or C book. Read through it and do all the non game related programs. It might take you 2 months it may only take you a few weeks. But I gaurentee you that in that time you''ll learn more than you will if you try to just learn "game specific" programming tasks. And by the time you finish the book, you''ll be ready to start game programming.

#9 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 16 August 2001 - 10:40 AM

My site has a great C and C++ tutorial and its for game developers. Its in the early stages but is updated regulary. I have 93 member sand would like 100 by mid-night. You can join without me saying so and it only taskes a couple of seconds. it is wortyh those precious two seconds though...

Sometimes you only want the best…
http://communities.msn.com/craigwoolmersprogrammingsite
nuff said!
We nearly have 100 members now. Will you be number 100? You can also now join without singing up. Just copy and paste the address into the address box and you have full access to the site!

#10 wrenhal   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 August 2001 - 08:58 AM

One thing that everyone seems to overlook is this very sites own tutorial:
Hands-On Interactive Game Development

You can learn more HERE

B e S
It's Da BOMB Baby!!!
. o O ~
A little nonsense now and then,
is relished by the wisest men
~ O o .
-- Willy Wonka

Edited by - wrenhal on August 22, 2001 3:59:38 PM

#11 Midnight Coder   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 August 2001 - 09:07 AM

Is yodasmacker still even reading this?

#12 a2k   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 August 2001 - 09:53 AM

i dunno. i was just instant messaging him a few minutes ago. i guess he doesn''t know how fast the gamedev community responds...

a2k

#13 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 August 2001 - 09:24 AM

I just post to confirm what "evaclear" ,"Midnight Coder" and
"bafler86" told you about learning at least basic c++ ( or C ) first. I made 2 years of Pascal and 1 year of C++ ( bouth for DOS) at school before I made my Hello world in win32 ( with MSVC++ ) .
And yes, Teej''s Hands On Interactive Game Development is a very good place to start but you have to know some c or c++ first ....
Good luck and if you have any trouble you can e-mail me maybe I can help.

#14 yodasmacker   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 August 2001 - 01:48 AM

LOL...Damn thanks for all the responds people. I have a book I got the Teach urself C in 21 days and i do not understand any of it im just totally lost in it the 1st page i dontunderstand any of it and it just gives me head aches i really wanna become a programmer but IM to dumb . I guess i''ll just never learn this *cries* well atleast i know html thats good. lol. i just dont understand i learned html and it was so easy. but c and c__ all that stuff like //help stuff like that is hard. I just dont understand it. I was thinking about try to find a personal tutor on the internet but I cant find anyone and i gotta get a new computer caz im on a 60mhz computer . So like um 4 months ill be gettin a new computer caz i cant find any jobs right now im only 15 16 dec 20 but anyways thanks for all the replies and if anyone maybe possibly would like to tutor me it would be much appreciated. Thanks, Yodasmacker!

#15 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 August 2001 - 10:01 AM

Well, I am realy a beginer to in windows programing ( and DirectX ) put I know a litle something about programing in DOS
with C++ . So if you would like me to tell you a litle about basic C++ I''ll be glad to help. It will help me to becose I have to prepare for the next summer ex am at info.
But I am shure that someone more exp. will be willing to help you so , that''s ok.
If ypu need help send me an e mail.

And btw. keep reading that book. I have it on my compiuter and is
a great book for beginers. You just have to keep tring.

The Mask

#16 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 August 2001 - 10:07 AM

Well , I am a beginer in windows programing and DirectX myself but I do know a litle something about basic C++ for DOS , so , if you''d like me to help you send me an e mail.
And btw, keep reading that book .I have it on my compiuter and it helped me a lot. So don''t give up.

#17 Midnight Coder   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 August 2001 - 10:24 AM

It''s only hard to understand because it''s something new. Once you understand even the most basic thing about the language, you''ll be able to pick up the rest easily. You aren''t too dumb, I believe most of us had at least a little trouble understanding what was going on when we learned our first language.

Just read it very slowly, and concentrate on the book. Don''t try to read too much at once, a chapter or two a day is good. Let it sink in. Don''t try to watch TV or listen to music while reading either, just focus only on the book. If something doesn''t make sense, re-read it again and think about it until you understand. Also, some of the code samples in the first chapters aren''t meant for you to understand, they''re just there to show you what a program might look like. If there are certain words you don''t understand in the text (not trying to be offensive, everyone has words they don''t understand sometimes), then look them up in a dictionary or some type of reference book.

The key thing is to just be patient. If you know in your mind that this is really what you want to do, then never give up. If you read a chapter and don''t understand everything in it, then re-read it as many times as you have to. Worst comes to worst, you could try picking out a different book. But I think the one you have now is pretty good.

#18 dirkduck   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 August 2001 - 12:34 PM

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
My site has a great C and C++ tutorial and its for game developers. Its in the early stages but is updated regulary. I have 93 member sand would like 100 by mid-night. You can join without me saying so and it only taskes a couple of seconds. it is wortyh those precious two seconds though...

Sometimes you only want the best…
http://communities.msn.com/craigwoolmersprogrammingsite
nuff said!
We nearly have 100 members now. Will you be number 100? You can also now join without singing up. Just copy and paste the address into the address box and you have full access to the site!

you would not believe how much this guy spamms his site on some other forums. Its sad.

McDougal...DUCK McDougal

#19 lunarss   Members   -  Reputation: 169

Posted 27 August 2001 - 01:21 PM

STOP WHINING! That was the harsh grandpa statement meant to give you motivation and insight. I realize it probably did neither, but telling yourself its too hard isnt the answer. The first thing you should realize is that you shouldn''t be in any rush to learn this stuff. If you''re 15, you have plenty of time. I program for a job and in my spare time. People, including my fiance'' think I''m crazy for having programming as a hobby; graphics programming no less. When I was 15 C++ was over my head too, but I stayed with it and kept going. I now work at SquareSoft in LA. The reason behind that is that I didn''t give up. Take it a step at a time, and you''ll be fine. Also, if you''re good at math, get a Computer Science degree, or at least an MIS degree. Most companies won''t even sneeze in your direction if you don''t have a degree and some type of experience to go with it. I had several internships with software development firms and those helped a lot. Just some ideas anyway. Just don''t give up like that. If you really want to develop games, giving up is harder than biting the bullet and learning the technical side of things. Good luck.

"You are too useless. And now I must beat you." - English subtitle in a Honk Kong Movie.

#20 Drizzt DoUrden   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 27 August 2001 - 01:38 PM

I am very young also. See, C++ is easy, too me. Its graphics programming that I have trouble with(scarthes head). I started C++ when I was in 6th or 7th grade. It took me about 2 years to learn it, decently. Be aware I was failing math up till eigth grade. That was probably why it was so hard. So, my point is, learning C++ is pretty easy, you gget a book and read it, you search for answers when you have trouble and if you cant find it you post on here. Once it comes to learning the WinAPI and OpenGL/Direct X, then youll have some trouble, more than likely.

"I''''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''''Urden

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS