• Create Account

matrix hierarchies

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 ulbdir   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 August 2001 - 04:10 AM

Hi, i''m having trouble limiting the rotation of joints in a skeletal animation system. If I just decompose the local joint matrix, I get the euler angles around the parent''s axis''. But rotation limits are given around the joint''s relaxed orientation (that is the initial pose). The final matrix of a joint is created as follows: this->matrix = (this->relaxed * this->offset) * parent->matrix; (this->offset is the matrix that is animated) So basically what i want is the euler angles that this->offset rotates about the axis'' of this->relaxed. As I said, just decomposing this->offset gives me the angles around parent->matrix... Can anybody help me here? Thanks, Dirk

Sponsor:

#2 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 18 August 2001 - 03:28 AM

Hmm, I had a similar problem with my skeleton animator, but:

> this->matrix = (this->relaxed * this->offset) * parent->matrix

shouldn''t it be:

this->matrix = parent->matrix * this->offset

(in OpenGL order) ?

Transform a joint by it''s offset from the original relaxed pose and then apply the parent matrix. Why remultiply this->relaxed ? Your mesh that is to be deformed is already in the relaxed position (geometrically).

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS