• Create Account

OpenGL drivers appear to do nothing...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
35 replies to this topic

#1 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3333

Posted 16 August 2001 - 07:06 AM

I ran GLSetup, it all went ok, it installed the right drivers for my card, but when I run the NeHe tutorials I get absolutely no hardware acceleration. All the implications have been that, if you use OpenGL and have the drivers, acceleration is automatic. Is it really that hard to get OpenGL to work properly?

Sponsor:

#2 v71   Banned   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 16 August 2001 - 08:23 AM

I had a similar problem in the past but once installed glsteup everything went ok, is your board an old one maybe its not opengl 1.1 compliant...

#3 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3333

Posted 16 August 2001 - 09:38 AM

Yes, mine is old, but GLSetup explicitly supports it.

#4 zedzeek   Members   -  Reputation: 528

Posted 16 August 2001 - 09:53 AM

what graphics card do u have what OS, glsetup is only for win(x i believe

#5 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3333

Posted 16 August 2001 - 10:11 AM

The pc in question has an Orchid Righteous (basically, a Voodoo 1) card, running Win98 SE. GLSetup should work.

#6 mittens   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1315

Posted 16 August 2001 - 02:36 PM

Hmmm, I really don''t think the voodoo 1 is OGL 1.1 compliant. But, check it''s settings, and make sure that everything looks good. Try using an example using the GLUT library, see if that helps at all, if none of the above work, well, im out of ideas.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
Shining Darkness- A division of Chromesphere Studios

#7 zedzeek   Members   -  Reputation: 528

Posted 16 August 2001 - 08:45 PM

voodoo cards have always had problems , the voodoo1 drivers are at least opengl1.1 quake2 wouldnt run otherwise. try searching for quake3arena compatible drivers.

#8 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3333

Posted 16 August 2001 - 11:30 PM

I wouldn''t know where to get such drivers. All I know, is that these are the drivers installed by GLSetup, which is pretty much the only place any site tells you to go to install OpenGL drivers... if these don''t work for simple examples, I doubt anything''s gonna work (except perhaps minidrivers for specific games or something).

#9 En3my   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 August 2001 - 12:09 AM

it''s obviously not the same problem, but i did have a problems getting opengl apps to run properly... as it turned out it i needed a new driver for the motherboard, and everything worked as a charm...

#10 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3333

Posted 17 August 2001 - 01:29 AM

My motherboard driver is the most recent and final one.

#11 Outworlder   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 17 August 2001 - 04:39 AM

I have a Voodoo Banshee, and never got OpenGL acceleration properly. Yes, I''ve done some OpenGL using the Quake mini-gl drivers, but many things were broken, and it only worked in full screen mode. Perhaps the demos use an incompatible pixelformat, or a feature not implemented.

Maybe you could use a program to inquire the capabilities of the board. (This came to my mind... what does the "PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW" do exactly? If I remember correctly, Voodoo 1 can only work in fullscreen mode)

Gaiomard Dragon
-===(UDIC)===-

#12 drefan   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 August 2001 - 06:15 PM

I used to have a Diamond Monster 3d which was also a voodoo1.
3DFX released a ~different~ version of their card some years later which actually did support opengl. It was sold as the 3dfx voodoo1 (on the box and all). Your card probably only supports the GL mini drivers for quake1/2.
Problem: My voodoo1 would not work for quake3 which will only run with a 100% compliant card.
Solution: Bought a new opengl compliant video card.

#13 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 18 August 2001 - 03:33 AM

It''s a standard problem on Voodoo1 and 2 cards: The installed driver is NOT opengl32.dll but 3dfxvgl.dll . When NeHe''s examples activate the OpenGL subsystem, it automatically loads opengl32.dll, which is the original MS software driver. Easy solution: backup opengl32.dll and rename 3dfxvgl.dll to opengl32.dll, that''s all.

#14 drefan   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 August 2001 - 09:01 AM

that should automatically be rerouted though

look at the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OpenGLdrivers

#15 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 18 August 2001 - 10:36 AM

> that should automatically be rerouted though

No it''s not. Don''t know for the Voodoo1, but it''s not for the Voodoo2. Simply because it is not a fully compliant OpenGL driver, even the most recent ones aren''t. If you don''t want to rename it, you still have to search for the 3dfxvgl.dll in your code and load it manually. Look at the startup-sequence of Quake3 for an example. This problem was solved with the Voodoo3.

#16 reaptide   Members   -  Reputation: 226

Posted 18 August 2001 - 11:00 AM

Are you running the tutorials in fullscreen? The voodoo1 did not support windowed acceleration. I use to have that problem with my voodoo3.

#17 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3333

Posted 18 August 2001 - 11:06 AM

Yes, I am running them in fullscreen, I know about it not accelerating in windowed mode.

I did the file-renaming thing, and it, er, almost worked The 3D card kicked in, but the screen just went blue and I couldn''t get back to my normal video mode and had to reset the PC. So that''s getting changed back

#18 Shag   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 August 2001 - 02:47 PM

try downloading ...

http://www.delphi3d.net/download/glinfo.zip

print out the report, and check the pixel formats that are supported on your card ... make sure the nehe example code is using the same ...

#19 gph-gw   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 August 2001 - 03:09 PM

I don''t quite understand why you''d want to use that card anyway, when you could get a Voodoo3/4 for cheap now that 3dfx is under...

Don''t use the drivers from GLSetup if they don''t work. Head to www.3dfx.com and download their drivers. My rule of thumb is that if a version of GLSetup doesn''t work the first time, it''ll never work. Always try the manufacturer''s drivers first.

#20 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3333

Posted 18 August 2001 - 03:18 PM

gph-gw: Because (a) cheap does not equal zero, and (b) most newer cards require AGP ports.

The drivers at 3dfx.com are older than my Win98SE drivers, and the link to their OpenGL drivers on the 3dfx site was dead when I checked it. I don''t want to install older drivers over newer drivers; the last time I did that for a graphics card, I got the video going dead whenever I scrolled to the bottom of a web page.

By the way, ''Shag'' (nice name), that utility doesn''t tell me much. It seems to be talking more about the drivers than the card, but either way it''s not too clear. In this case, the drivers are the Microsoft ones again, since I changed the file names back to avoid any further crashes. The tutorial uses 640x480x16, which I''m pretty sure a Voodoo 1 can deal with.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS