Physics students good for game design???

Started by
13 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 8 months ago
Hi ya'll!

I'm currently a chemistry/physics major coming up on my third year (out of five, unfortunately) and I've started to think chemistry really isn't for me. Programming has been a long time hobby of mine, but I've stopped a bit since I've been a in chemistry.

Anyhow, I was wondering if I continued in physics (not chemistry)...would my degree be viable to get a game developing position? I know for a fact physics is used in games, and as I said, programming is fun for me. In fact, I've managed to scrap up a simple program in C with a few of the basics (collision detection and motion, animation, input, simple level loader) over the last few weeks or so. And I've read up on some 3D development stuff with a book back in high school and now that I've taken linear algebra and stuff, I think I can go back get through it.

So I have some skills :) but changing to a CS degree would be really hard at this point in my college career.

But how about if I stick with physics? Can a BS in Physics with my pet projects (which will probably be much more developed in three years) be a foot in the door for game design?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by noobermin
1. changing to a CS degree would be really hard at this point in my college career.
2. Can a BS in Physics with my pet projects (which will probably be much more developed in three years) be a foot in the door for game design?

1. Nobody said you had to.
2. Anything is possible.

Moved to Breaking In. noob, please scroll up and click "View Forum FAQ."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the move and info. The site is actually quite fun.
Oh, your nick is actually noob - thought that was a little elitist :)
A guy I work with at our studio has a physics degree and does tool programming. So, yes, you can do that. Anything is possible.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
So I guess it really can't ever be an insult then since I chose this name, or people will just have an alibi if they use for me :P

I guess I know anything is possible...well, I personally don't believe that, but what I mentioned probably is. I guess I'll make my question a bit more specific. I read how important it is to first get into the industry...the "DIFTI" method. I'd guess a BS in anything can land you at least some job somewhere, and may be if I'm convincing enough, I might get a job in the gaming industry. But does a physics BS look good to game programmers specifically?

EDIT: ok, tool programming...I guess that's a start.

Still, I'm a bit skeptical about the whole break-in method. Is it really just that, get in somewhere are you actually have a chance to make it up? Of course, it wouldn't be easy that way, but is it actually viable, ie., a good path verses just a path that relies on luck?
As long as you are able to prove that you are good for the job, you can get it. In programming, education is not AS important as in other fields, as pretty much all the information is available on the inet and many programmers are self taught. If you provide a demo that will clearly show that you are able to apply your knowledge and create something real it can be enough for you to be accepted, even if you don't have certified education in CS of SE (although it does help). Since you are in physics, you could try physics engines - they are actually pretty complex and, if you wrote one, it could be a card up your sleeve.
And those do sound difficult, but do sound interesting :) That would work as a senior research project too...hmm...
Quote:Original post by noobermin
1. I guess I know anything is possible...well, I personally don't believe that, but what I mentioned probably is. I guess I'll make my question a bit more specific.
2. But does a physics BS look good to game programmers specifically?
3. Still, I'm a bit skeptical about the whole break-in method. Is it really just that, get in somewhere are you actually have a chance to make it up? Of course, it wouldn't be easy that way, but is it actually viable,
4. ie., a good path verses just a path that relies on luck?

1. Yes. I was just answering the question that you asked, the way you asked it.
2. Nobody cares what degree you have, if you show up with a spectacular portfolio and a reasonable resume.
3. Yes -- it's still not easy. Nothing worthwhile is easy. What's the problem?
4. Yes -- "luck" is not a plan. You have to work go get lucky (you have to make your own luck).

Thought I'd moved it before -- moving it back again. Since we are talking about breaking in, not about beginner programming questions.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Lots of game developers don't have any kind of degree. What is going to get your foot in the door for a first job is a portfolio. Simple programs in C aren't going to really cut that. If you don't want to switch to CS then you are going to have to spend a *lot* of personal time self studying on a variety of topics to create interesting demo projects/complete games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement