• Create Account

Open GL in normal applications

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Xetrov   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 18 August 2001 - 04:42 AM

I was wondering why OpenGL is rarely used for 2d applications, such as file managers, web browsers etc. Is it the wrong sort of API to use? Almost my entire experience with programming in GUIs (i mean not Text/console apps) has been with openGL. I was just wondering if it was the wrong sort of API to use for an easily portable application, such as a web browser or filemanager etc? If it is, can anyone suggest another API which is as easy to use? Thanks in advance

Sponsor:

#2 NickW   Members   -  Reputation: 303

Posted 18 August 2001 - 04:59 AM

Well, the main reason why people don''t use OpenGL for 2D is because it''s a 3D engine. It doesn''t allow you to draw directly to the screen, (Except with glDrawPixels, which is very slow). If you''re looking to do stuff in 2d in windows, try using the GDI or even DirectX. If you''re looking for portability, check out SDL (www.libsdl.org). With SDL you can write completely portable code, so I highly recomend it.

NickW

#3 wolfman8k   Members   -  Reputation: 140

Posted 19 August 2001 - 03:13 AM

Allegro is a lot better than SDL.

#4 Maximus   Members   -  Reputation: 124

Posted 22 August 2001 - 12:40 AM

OpenGL isnt a 3D engine, its a graphics API. It does 2D just as well as it does 3D.

#5 outRider   Members   -  Reputation: 852

Posted 24 August 2001 - 11:56 AM

But its probably not used for stuff like file managers because then you''d need a 3D card to use that file manager. How many people out there using a file manager or a web browser (many millions) also have a 3D card? I know you can run OGL in software but then whats the point of even using OGL? Just use GDI or DDraw.

------------
- outRider -

#6 Midnight Coder   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 August 2001 - 12:03 PM

GDI is used for normal applications because it''s almost guaranteed to work the same on all video cards and computers.

#7 Julio   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 24 August 2001 - 12:20 PM

quote:

Allegro is geared more towards beginners. I don''t mind using it, but I''d never make a game or demo with it. it''s too restrictive.

How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they just declare drakness as a new standard.

#8 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 25 August 2001 - 04:02 AM

quote:
Original post by Julio
[quote]

Allegro is geared more towards beginners. I don''t mind using it, but I''d never make a game or demo with it. it''s too restrictive.

What can''t you do with it? There''s also tons of addons.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS