Job Search Engines

Started by
11 comments, last by Telastyn 13 years, 7 months ago
I can't seem to find many reliable job search engines. I don't like snagajob. I want a good search engine to keep an eye out for an entry level programming job. Is there an over all good one people use or one geared specifically towards programming jobs? If it matters, I'm in Charlotte, NC.
Advertisement
Are you planning on moving?

If not, then the engines are probably not going to find much. They may find what you want, or maybe not.

Most job openings are never posted. That's one reason why the most reliable way to get a job is networking. Talk to people.

You didn't mention a specific industry. Many companies will send out job postings to the trade-specific locations. In games look at the gd.net listing or big sites like gamasutra.

Many companies will use their own web site, with a jobs/career/employment section. Look up the local companies you are interested in, and see if they post their jobs there. You can also send in an application without knowing of an opening, but chances are good it will get thrown out.
http://www.dice.com

http://www.gamasutra.com/jobs/

http://www.gamedevmap.com/

http://www.careerbuilder.com/

http://www.gamejobs.com/

http://www.gamejobhunter.com/

Some of these should do you good. Dice is great for contract work.
Alabama Man!!!
I never heard of snagajob or the idea of a "job search engine," but that's a terrible way to look for a game job. You want to use job boards dedicated to the game industry. Besides the ones that have already been listed above, you can also subscribe to creativeheads.net
But as has already been mentioned, since it's just about impossible to get a non-local entry-level job, you should either look locally or move to a game hotbed.
In addition to gamedevmap.com you should also bookmark gameindustrymap.com
And if you have not yet viewed this forum's FAQ, you ought to. Scroll up and look for the small blue "View Forum FAQ" link and click it. One of the things discussed therein is networking -- where, why, and how.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I should have clarified, while I would LOVE to have a game programming job, I'm just looking for a site that I can get "any" programming job from. Working on a financial app, a firewall, or anything really. I figure it would be much easier to get general "professional" programming experience under my belt before I look for a game development job than trying for game development straight out. I don't even have a degree yet, but I have been coding for about 8 years on my own now. I've taken some college programming courses (quite a few) and plan to go back to college once I get the finances to do so.

EDIT: also, until I get a degree, I'm not willing to relocate. After that, I'm up for anything.
Quote:Original post by slynk
1. I should have clarified, while I would LOVE to have a game programming job, I'm just looking for a site that I can get "any" programming job from.
2. EDIT: also, until I get a degree, I'm not willing to relocate. After that, I'm up for anything.

1. Yes. You should have. This forum is for people interested in the game industry.
2. You should have mentioned that before too (that you are still in college). Yes, nobody is telling you to relocate instead of going to college (advice was given on the assumption that you already had your degree). First things first. Degree first. Permanent job second.

I thought a lot of programming jobs are contract based? Is it not possible to work on and entry level project while I go to school? Programming pays more than my part time job. I don't know if I'll be able to pay for school with what I'm making right now. Charlotte unemployment is pretty high. I'm searching for a second job or something full time but I'm not finding much so I thought I'd try to get a job programming for awhile.
Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
1. I should have clarified, while I would LOVE to have a game programming job, I'm just looking for a site that I can get "any" programming job from.
2. EDIT: also, until I get a degree, I'm not willing to relocate. After that, I'm up for anything.

1. Yes. You should have. This forum is for people interested in the game industry.
2. You should have mentioned that before too (that you are still in college). Yes, nobody is telling you to relocate instead of going to college (advice was given on the assumption that you already had your degree). First things first. Degree first. Permanent job second.

I know you're a mod and everything, but I don't feel like this post is particularly on topic, and is more about being defensive at the OP's response to you. I understand the industry is competitive, but there's no reason to crush a guy's balls.

Um, OP, try to find programming jobs through your school, if that's what you're looking for, especially if that's what you're studying. Also, I know craigslist isn't the greatest resource, but I know web developers who have found some freelance work there, and perhaps you could as well. The only job search engine site I know of is indeed.com, but I believe you can narrow it down by industry.

I totally get wanting to get some money in your pocket AND something on your resume at the same time. ^^
1. I thought a lot of programming jobs are contract based?
2. Is it not possible to work on and entry level project while I go to school?
3. Programming pays more than my part time job.

I sure wish you'd said all this up front. You need to communicate to get ahead.
1. I would say "some" rather than "a lot."
2. Anything is possible. Even more so, since we are not talking about game projects.
3. Maybe, maybe not.
Look, I think you may need to get creative and network in unusual ways. Maybe contact the local businessmen's civic organization*, pitch yourself at one of their meetings, submit an ad to the local newspapers.
*Like Elks, Moose, Shriners, whatever is in your local area. All this stuff is kind of old-fashioned, but my thought is that local businessmen are probably where you can get small contracts.
Quote:Original post by gypsydiver
I totally get wanting to get some money in your pocket AND something on your resume at the same time. ^^

So do I. It wasn't at all clear to me that that's where he was coming from.

Thank you very much for your informative post. I'll look more into social networking as a means to find a job. The only reason I found my current job at a super market was from applying in person when they weren't even taking applications. The problem I have with that is finding a resource I can use to find what businesses nearby require the use of a programmer. Some are common sense while others aren't. It's easy to tell a bank could use a programmer however it's also easy to tell they need someone with a lot of experience. Finding a place that could benefit from my small resume to pitch myself to will require some thinking.

Thank you again for your help. I'd never have thought of contacting an organization like that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement