• Create Account

The Retro Renaissance Game Development Challenge!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
65 replies to this topic

#21 yckx   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1159

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

I guess the Pac-Man game I'm working on is likely too modern to submit:

That's okay; I'm not at all confident I can get it to a releasable state by the deadline :D But I thought I'd share, since it's within the spirit of the contest, if not the rules!

Sponsor:

#22 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3045

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

Noice :)

Can't resist a retro themed challenge, so here's a WIP shot from my game:

Very rudimentary building blocks are there, but a game is still to be made from it. I'm going for a C64esque look.

#23 The_Neverending_Loop   Members   -  Reputation: 568

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:31 AM

Talk of all these entries is very exciting, and whats even more exciting is that we just got a sponsor to add a prize to the pool.

The people over at PuppyGames have graciously donated a copy of their latest game Revenge Of the Titans!, PuppyGames specializes in making Neo-Retro Arcade games which seemed to fit perfectly with the concept of this contest. Being a long time fan of theirs myself, be sure to check all their games out, you will not be dissapointed. So thank you Cas and the rest of the puppygames.net team!

[Edited by - The_Neverending_Loop on September 7, 2010 12:31:47 PM]

#24 Wan   Members   -  Reputation: 1365

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:40 AM

Pst! You forgot the http:// part in the puppy games link in both your last and original post. :)

#25 The_Neverending_Loop   Members   -  Reputation: 568

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:09 AM

Quote:
Original post by Wan
Pst! You forgot the http:// part in the puppy games link in both your last and original post. :)

Boy do I have egg on my face... thanks for the save!

#26 The_Neverending_Loop   Members   -  Reputation: 568

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

Not much to see yet tho, but i will have a game by the due date. I created a basic world class and done work on the action class.

#27 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3045

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:03 AM

I see and raise ermm.. a house! The basic engine seems to be mostly there, just the game and content is missing.

#28 Oberon_Command   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1716

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:52 AM

I don't really have much yet, so here's some of my reference material and a screenshot of a GUI test.

edit: Also, it appears that either my graphics card or XNA doesn't like any screen resolution below 320x240, so I can't make the graphics quite as low res as I should like without resorting to such foolery as drawing everything to a sprite, then stretching it over the whole screen. Drat.

[Edited by - Oberon_Command on September 10, 2010 5:52:42 PM]

#29 The_Neverending_Loop   Members   -  Reputation: 568

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:27 AM

@ Endurion: Touche Endurion Touche...

and for you oberon the resolution doesnt need to be that low, as long as you can look at the game and feel like it was made 10 years ago, you should be fine.

#30 The_Neverending_Loop   Members   -  Reputation: 568

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:51 PM

Updated screenshot, game still looks ugly but Ive worked more over the weekend
on the map system, and added collision detection along with object interaction.
The one weird grass tile actually used to be a stone figure that I destroyed!!!, and iam currently doing the same thing to his friend in this screen. As you can tell Iam leaving transparency/masking for the end lol.

With that said, I thought I would take the oppurtunity to ask all the participants what is the modern element they are thinking about adding.

For me my game is actually going to have network player (hopefully i know iama be cutting it close) but yea Id l-ve to hear what your going to use as your modern element.

#31 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3045

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

The modern element for mine is the 3d part. It's basically a rip off of Fez. I've been waiting for that game but they keep on working on it. Fez forever :)

It's a very interesting mechanic but also needs very careful level design. You end up blocking a view too easy.

#32 The_Neverending_Loop   Members   -  Reputation: 568

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:43 AM

Wow that look great! cant wait to try it, I got to pick up my development speed to try to keep up looks like you got something really nice there, I like how it looks like your still playing a Commodor 64 but one that was made like 10 years ago that could handle 3D graphics. Nice job!

#33 scgrn   Members   -  Reputation: 168

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:50 PM

Cool, I'm in!

#34 iliak   Members   -  Reputation: 275

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:28 AM

My current project : Dungeon Eye. An eye of the Beholder II clone.

[Edited by - iliak on October 7, 2010 8:28:30 AM]
- Iliak -
[ ArcEngine: An open source .Net gaming framework ]
[ Dungeon Eye: An open source remake of Eye of the Beholder II ]

#35 The Communist Duck   Members   -  Reputation: 154

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:48 AM

Wow, those screenshots look seriously amazing!

My game is a Bomberman clone, but with cats (o__0), and the modern element is going to be screen shader effects (think red screen with FPS games).
I don't have any art to share; still using placeholder graphics but the artist working with me has a few sprites. However, the game has a working loading, menu, and selection screen.
The map is kind of working. However, I realise I still have a lot of work to go.

#36 Beverly Mcadoo   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

Speaking of retro games, has anyone seen the 8-bit city maps? I think these are hilarious.

http://8bitcity.com/map?New%20York

[Edited by - jpetrie on September 21, 2010 5:24:43 PM]

#37 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3045

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:32 AM

Before it's too late, the perfect sound effect tool for this challenge: DrPetter's sfxr.

You can get it from here.

In other news I'm progressing fine. I've just got most of the menu, control binding and other settings stuff done, since that's eating lots of time and better done before the deadline looms.

Hope to see lots of fine entries!

#38 The_Neverending_Loop   Members   -  Reputation: 568

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

Quote:
Original post by Endurion
Before it's too late, the perfect sound effect tool for this challenge: DrPetter's sfxr.

You can get it from here.

In other news I'm progressing fine. I've just got most of the menu, control binding and other settings stuff done, since that's eating lots of time and better done before the deadline looms.

Hope to see lots of fine entries!

Cool tool Endurion, and the guys website is pretty cool as well Thanks++!, yea I hope to see some fine entries too especially mines!, iama see how far i get in the next 3 days and see what if anything will i have to cut off from the features set to hand something in.

#39 scgrn   Members   -  Reputation: 168

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

My entry is coming along well, although I'm starting to feel the deadline looming. I'm doing a vertical space shooter and the modern element is an online high score system.

I'll post a screenshot soon...

#40 The_Neverending_Loop   Members   -  Reputation: 568

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:15 AM

Yea same here man, Iam doing my first alpha test this weekend, so hopefully it will all go well and I have new screenshots to post

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS