• Create Account

[web] How do Browser games implement 'tickers'?

Old topic!

Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
40 replies to this topic

#41 plopo   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:41 AM

Hello,

I had the same problems when starting to work on my hobby game (aimed more at learning & experimenting with things).

It does not matter where I ended up (that is stackless python and websockets) - only know that I did run tests using PHP CLI, where a PHP process would be used a a *persistent* game logic buffer somewhere along the way between the database (where truly persistent game data is being held) and the clients.
Main reason: the lock mechanisms mentioned in ToohrVyk's excellent post above. I found it easier and more flexible to move the queueing complexity to a "persistent server" rather than deal with it at database level. This intermediate server can then be used as several things: real game state cache (persistent in memory), able to write-through or write-back to the DB at predetermined times/intervals or on demand. Not perfect, obviously, but once the game world is "loaded", the database basically goes to sleep.
Then arises the issue of talking with that PHP-CLI process using HTTP. Because afik, Apache is then not available... sockets are, however.

Also consider this idea: are universal ticks necessary in your game? Is progression fine-grained enough to allow desynchronised updates between players? (as in: would the fact that player A gets his resource X updates a few seconds before player B gets his resource Y be game-breaking?). I found out that in my hobby dev process, it was the case: updates could run be asynchronously. That is true within a same faction and between factions. So "faction" updates all run independently of one another - which dilutes the load over time. Any "locking" mechanism can then be made compulsory at game logic level - and only when unit/monster/resource/whatever interaction makes it so (combat, resources sharing, and the like).

My 2 £ cents :)

Plopo

PS: could not help remembering this jewel: nothing to do with anyone on this thread, so here goes for the laughs :) http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Multithreaded-PHP-.aspx

Old topic!

Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS