• Create Account

XNA Tutorial Series : Making a Tower Defence

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

#1 Firefly08   Members   -  Reputation: 164

2Likes

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:19 AM

Hi,

I have recently revived an old blog of mine : http://xnatd.blogspot.com/. It is devoted to creating a full TD using XNA. So far I have 10 tutorials online :

Tower Defense Tutorials :
Pathfinding Tutorials :
All the tutorials (excluding Tutorial 1 and Tutorial 2) have accompanying source code. The blog also contains source code for a finished Tower Defence (albeit old and slightly different to the final project made using the tutorials). Hopefully you will find the tutorials helpful, and any feedback is welcomed (Good or Bad :P)

Sponsor:

#2 Kada   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:41 AM

I'll take a look when I have time later today. I hope this does a good job of explaining how to draw and maintain more than 1 image, because I haven't quite grasped the process of drawing multiple things, and also transitioning from 1 game screen to another (menu to game, quit back to menu, etc).

Thanks for the resource!

#3 xSharp   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:11 AM

I've been looking for a tower defense tutorial in XNA, I'll definitely take a look.

Thank you!

#4 Firefly08   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:47 AM

Thanks for the replies guys!! Currently there are no tutorials about GUI or menus, but trust me, that is coming quite soon :D

#5 Kada   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:16 AM

I'd like to learn XNA by following your tutorials (I already know -some- C# and I'm an experienced programmer in other languages), but in your first tutorial you say the engine is loosely based on Nick Gravelyn's Tile Engine, but I can't seem to find it on the web. The old link is dead, and the new one I found by googling (http://nickgravelyn.com/archive/#tileengine) is dead too :-P

Thanks for the help

If I DO find the tile engine tutorial, should I read that first, or do you think your tutorial set is sufficient enough as a start to see how you go about creating a game (and then go and read the tile engine tutorial after)?

#6 Firefly08   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:24 AM

Hey, I would definitely recommend watching the whole series, it really is very useful, but it's not required, it just depends how much experience you have with C#

I found you a link : http://blog.nickgravelyn.com/2010/02/tile-engine-videos-on-youtube/

#7 Firefly08   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:34 AM

A new tutorial is up about adding in "Waves" of enemies!!

#8 Firefly08   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:19 AM

Tutorial 9 is now up!! This tutorial focuses on adding in multiple waves.

#9 VitaliBR   Members   -  Reputation: 147

0Likes

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:39 AM

Amazing!

Congratulations friend!
I work with DirectX, but I issued the forum I frequent in my country (Brazil), ok?

:D

#10 Firefly08   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:45 AM

Quote:
Original post by VitaliBR
Amazing!

Congratulations friend!
I work with DirectX, but I issued the forum I frequent in my country (Brazil), ok?

:D

Thank you very much! :D

#11 Firefly08   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:08 AM

I've just uploaded another tutorial, Tutorial 10 : Creating the GUI (Part 1)

[Edited by - Firefly08 on December 23, 2010 4:08:42 AM]

#12 Firefly08   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

Tutorial 11 : Creating the GUI (Part 2) is now up, and it will probably be the second to last tutorial in the series :(

#13 Firefly08   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

I have just uploaded the latest tutorial in the series! Tutorial 12 : Adding a New Tower Type

#14 Firefly08   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

I just added a new tutorial : Tutorial 13 : Adding the Slow Tower

#15 Firefly08   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

Hey guys, I have just added the final tutorial in the series! Tutorial 14 : Polishing the Game. Hope you have enjoyed this series and hopefully you found it of some use!

#16 F4lc0n   Members   -  Reputation: 127

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:01 AM

Hi,

this looks like a great tutorial. I really want to read it through. Could you maybe host the tutorial in PDF form or at least add a print link to the individual posts? That would be greatly appreciated! This way I could have the whole tutorial in one file and not needing to access the webpage all the time.

#17 Machaira   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1028

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:26 AM

Is there a reason why you can't just print them yourself?
Microsoft XNA MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on XNA game development

#18 F4lc0n   Members   -  Reputation: 127

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

Yes because it's totally unreadable. Usually articles have a print button which prints the text / article in a printer friendly format but I didn't see any link on the blog for this. If you just print the webpage it looks horrible.

#19 Doug Rogers   Members   -  Reputation: 173

0Likes

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:21 AM

Yes because it's totally unreadable. Usually articles have a print button which prints the text / article in a printer friendly format but I didn't see any link on the blog for this. If you just print the webpage it looks horrible.

There are free plugins to print web pages, like this one:

http://www.hp.com/global/us/en/consumer/digital_photography/free/software/smart-web-printing.html

Epson has one, too, I think.

#20 Firefly08   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:56 AM

I have uploaded one last addition to the series which should make porting the game to windows phone easier! Tutorial 14.5 : Drag and Drop Towers

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS