• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Texture Compression

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pav3   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 August 2001 - 08:25 PM

hi, i wanted to ask something. If i''ll do texture compression (s3tc) in real time (load bmp -> comvert to s3tc -> use as texture) will it harm performance a lot?

Sponsor:

#2 Dean Harding   Members   -  Reputation: 546

Posted 22 August 2001 - 11:49 PM

Not really, s3tc was meant to be quite fast to compress (it''s even faster to decompress).

Although, you probably don''t want to do it in software, get the hardware to do it! In opengl you just go like this:

int texture;

glGenTextures( 1, &texture );
glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, m_texture );
glTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_ARB, width, height, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, data );

where data, width and height are all set beforhand. I guess it''s similar in DirectX...

dHarding.net - Just click it.

#3 Julio   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 23 August 2001 - 02:00 AM

why not just convert it during design time? That''ll save the middle step unless you have a specific need for using a bitmap.

How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they just declare drakness as a new standard.

#4 outRider   Members   -  Reputation: 852

Posted 24 August 2001 - 04:37 AM

>> why not just convert it during design time? That''ll save the middle step unless you have a specific need for using a bitmap.

How can you save an image in the same format as the card uses for its texture compression? I''ve never heard of this...

------------
- outRider -

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS