• Create Account

Normals, Lighting and 3DSMax and OpenGL

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pav3   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 August 2001 - 04:36 AM

ok...so i need normals for lighting right? ok. when i make a model in 3DSMax, and export it to an ASE file, it gives me face normals (1 normal per face) and vertex normals (3 normals per face), so i wanted to ask what do i need? if i only take the face normals, the lighting is kinda gonna suck, but if i use 3 normals (1 per vertex) the lighting is gonna be better/slower? and how do i make Per Pixel Lighting? (I have Radeon, and i downloaded a demo of Per Pixel Lighting from ATI, so DON''T tell me it doesn''t work. thx.

Sponsor:

#2 TM   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 August 2001 - 04:24 AM

Use normals per vertex if you want to have a smooth look for your surfaces. This doesn''t imply a performance loss at all, since this type of shading has been implemented in hardware for a while now...
I''m not familiar with per pixel lighting on a Radeon, but I guess they have some documents and source code online in their developer section concerning this subject. If not, you can always check out nVIDIA''s developer site for some information, but their demos probably won''t work on your card...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS