Help getting a game progamming job

Started by
15 comments, last by M2tM 13 years, 6 months ago
Hi everyone,

I would like to get a game programming job. I have been programming since I can remember and can work in most programming languages, but I don't have a collage degree. I do have some published (non game) work though.
I was wondering if I showed off my programming skills with a small game, maybe programmed in two or more languages might help land a job?
To sum it up. I would like your opinions on the best way to get a job.

Thank you for your time.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by code_eater
Hi everyone,

I would like to get a game programming job. I have been programming since I can remember and can work in most programming languages, but I don't have a collage degree. I do have some published (non game) work though.
I was wondering if I showed off my programming skills with a small game, maybe programmed in two or more languages might help land a job?
To sum it up. I would like your opinions on the best way to get a job.

Thank you for your time.

You have to have a degree to even qualify for most jobs. If you are really determined to get a job without a degree then you should actually make some games but they will have to be super impressive...
Would a degree in computer science (i.e. programming) help at all? I'm starting one in February in Java. I'm also learning C++ in my own time too.
It's not a practical strategy to get a job these days without a degree. One in a million can do it, but you probably have similar odds trying to win the lottery. Just get a degree.
Quote:Original post by Palidine
It's not a practical strategy to get a job these days without a degree. One in a million can do it, but you probably have similar odds trying to win the lottery. Just get a degree.

That's overstating things a bit, even if the advice is solid.

For the OP:

Example code to show always helps (unless it's terrible of course). One thing to remember though is that a college degree is needed most often by HR, who don't have a good way to judge technical candidates. Getting a referral by someone already at the company is still the most effective way of getting a job, and certainly to get by HR and the most likely hangup about the lack of degree.

I have TWO degrees, both in Physics so I am already adept at Mathematics. And I have several years experience in C, C++, Win32, COM and DirectX9, with a solid grip on C# which I am now currently learning.

And yet I am struggling to get a foothold into this industry.

I'm resorting to Web development now as a means of creating my own website to show off my skills.

A degree may help but it seems having commercial experience will always win outright in spite of that catch 22 situation of gaining such experience in the first place.

I was toying with the idea of doing a computer science degree, but that seems like overkill considering that I already have two highly technical degrees which both involved a certain amount of computer literacy anyway. I.e. I had to learn C on both courses.

And, combined with the fact that I have already spent years teaching myself to a pretty advanced level in coding, having a 3rd degree in computer science seems pointless.

So, building a website seems my only course of action, although I am thinking about doing some of those Microsoft certified examinations.

I have the skills... My problem right now is proving that to an overly cautious audience. So to be perfectly honest, simply having a degree just doesn't cut it these days, especially at a time when lots of people seem to be getting them.
Quote:Original post by CodeStorm

I have TWO degrees, both in Physics so I am already adept at Mathematics. And I have several years experience in C, C++, Win32, COM and DirectX9, with a solid grip on C# which I am now currently learning.

And yet I am struggling to get a foothold into this industry.

I'm resorting to Web development now as a means of creating my own website to show off my skills.

A degree may help but it seems having commercial experience will always win outright in spite of that catch 22 situation of gaining such experience in the first place.

I was toying with the idea of doing a computer science degree, but that seems like overkill considering that I already have two highly technical degrees which both involved a certain amount of computer literacy anyway. I.e. I had to learn C on both courses.

And, combined with the fact that I have already spent years teaching myself to a pretty advanced level in coding, having a 3rd degree in computer science seems pointless.

So, building a website seems my only course of action, although I am thinking about doing some of those Microsoft certified examinations.

I have the skills... My problem right now is proving that to an overly cautious audience. So to be perfectly honest, simply having a degree just doesn't cut it these days, especially at a time when lots of people seem to be getting them.

Degree in the field, obviously. Nursery degree won't help you get a job as rocket engineer.

I'm an engineer and I can program pretty cool stuff too, but I don't think I'd ever get a job as a programmer. Entry level: who in the right mind employ me, when I will leave them for a better job as an engineer?
Higher-level: who in the right...
Moved to BREAKING IN.
code eater,
Scroll up and click the tiny "View Forum FAQ" link.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Mmmm... I assumed Physics would be a relevant degree in the software industry dude.

Most Physics courses includes coding by default. Then of course, there is the small matter of Physics being used in games quite a lot.

So again, a degree doesn't necessarily cut it.

I don't think people are making the claim that ANY degree will do. Some degrees or more relevant than others. But nonetheless, a degree doesn’t necessarily guarantee you the job that you want.
Quote:Original post by CodeStorm
Mmmm... I assumed Physics would be a relevant degree in the software industry dude.

Most Physics courses includes coding by default. Then of course, there is the small matter of Physics being used in games quite a lot.

So again, a degree doesn't necessarily cut it.

I don't think people are making the claim that ANY degree will do. Some degrees or more relevant than others. But nonetheless, a degree doesn’t necessarily guarantee you the job that you want.

Maybe it "doesn't guarantee" but it's unavoidable.
Engineering courses had coding too. But that's not enough for a coder job. Sorry.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement