Matrix API?

Started by
7 comments, last by kirkd 22 years, 7 months ago
Does anyone know of a good (read "free and reliable") API for matrix calculations. I''m looking for something that can do inversions along with all the other good matrix operations. Thanks!! -Kirk
Advertisement
i still think this is an excellent set of basic 3d graphics structures:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article988.asp

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Thanks for the link! I notice, however, they don''t supply any code for inversion. ugh. I guess I''ll have to do that one myself.

-Kirk
I''ve used a math library called Newmat, which is decent and source code is available, including inversions. Here is the link:

http://webnz.com/robert/cpp_lib.htm

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Graham,

Thanks! I''m sure I can''t write an efficient matrix inversion routine better than what is available out there. This should help a lot.

-Kirk
I could give you the maths for inverting a matrix... but I doubt you need it now.
Sure, I''d welcome any input you have. The math isn''t the problem, however, it''s making it fast and efficient. Matrix inversion is rather costly, isn''t it?

-Kirk

One question to ask yourself is: do I *really* need to invert the matrix? Yes, inversion is expensive and there actually are often ways to do things without needing the inverse. The method implemented in the Newmat library I think is one of the most efficient methods for *arbitrary* matrices. If you need to invert a 4x4 or 3x3 transformation matrix, then the fastest method will be a closed form solution, available I think in an appendix of the OpenGL red book as well as many other sources.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
the matrix has you...
Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement