Games Producer Query

Started by
3 comments, last by Kylotan 13 years, 5 months ago
I'm considering taking a Foundation Degree course on Games Technologies. It states that successful students have gone on to become to be a Producer, which seems appealing.

I was just curious, being a Games Producer, would it allow me to still help with development in terms of ideas and suggestion towards production. Or will I just be sat in an office all the time?

Thanks.
Advertisement
The producer role varies from studio to studio. Both/Either of the descriptions has happened in my experience.

Bear in mind that you can't become a Producer straight from University. You might be able to become an Assistant Producer but even those may require industry experience.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Obviously not straight from Uni, could be a junior producer possibly.

Thanks for the reply, hoping to see more information :) .
Quote:Original post by spencerd
1. being a Games Producer, would it allow me to still help with development in terms of ideas and suggestion towards production.
2. Or will I just be sat in an office all the time?

1. Yes.
2. Sitting right in your chair and never allowed to leave it? No.

Read FAQ 42: http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson42.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by spencerd
Obviously not straight from Uni, could be a junior producer possibly.

I've never heard of a junior producer. That would be a bit like being a junior chairman or a junior chief executive officer.

Generally speaking you're expected to get some experience of the industry in a different development role first. Without that, it's hard to have the skills needed to 'produce' a project. And certainly nobody really wants someone coming on board to offer "ideas and suggestion" who actually has no idea what it's like working in the trenches. (Such people do exist however - they are called publishers, and they pay you for the privilege of doing this.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement