From Glut to Win 32

Started by
4 comments, last by cMADsc 22 years, 7 months ago
Greetings all, I have been using glut in my opengl programming lately. Although, I have been learning win 32. Here is a question to those who made the transition from glut to win 32. How much of win 32 did you learn for opengl? The whole language or just enough to make a window? How much should one learn of win 32?Thanks in advance. ----------------------------- "There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do." "...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."
-----------------------------"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do.""...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."
Advertisement
Yo really don''t need to know a whole lot. Spend a little time on NeHe''s site, the first few tutorials go over getting set up in windows.
Also consider getting "OpenGL Game Programming" by the GameDev gurus themselves, it has a good overview of what Win32 you need to get OpenGL up and running.

"If consquences dictate our course of action, it doesn''t matter what''s right, it''s only wrong if you get caught."
- Tool
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
It''s only syntax and semantics you have to learn. The notion of a message processing loop and callbacks you''ve already learnt through GLUT.

Win32 is esentially the same, but with some ''interesting'' (read: questionable) variable names and weirdo CApiTAlisatION

Paul Groves
pauls opengl page
Paul Grovespauls opengl page
wouldn''t you rather use SDL? www.libsdl.org :D
----------------------------www.physicsforums.comwww.opengl.org
quote:Original post by grady
wouldn''t you rather use SDL? www.libsdl.org :D

Or even better: AllegroGL

But really, why in the world are you developing under win32????
I guess ''cause he wants to program a Windows game? At least, that is the case with me...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement