• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Lightmaps, detail and multitexturing

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 NewDeal   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 30 August 2001 - 08:26 AM

I just added support for lightmaps in my terrain engine. I render the lightmap with singlepass multitexturing (OGL ARB extension). Im also using a large texture which covers the entire map. This large texture is then blended with a detail texture to make things look better. This process is also handled with help from multitexturing. My problem is combining these things. For everything to work in a single pass i will need support for 3 active textures on my graphics card (which i dont have). My questions are. 1) How many texture slots (you know what i mean) does new graphics cards have today ? 2) Are there any alternatives to rendering this in multiple passes ?

Sponsor:

#2 zedzeek   Members   -  Reputation: 528

Posted 30 August 2001 - 10:50 AM

u use base + lm + detail thats 3 textures
the only cards that can do this in one pass are the radeon + geforce3
A/ radeon has 3 units + geforce3 has 4
B/ no u need 3 textures thus for a 2 texture at a time card u will need to do 2 passes.

#3 NewDeal   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 30 August 2001 - 11:18 AM

Thanks zedzeek

Your tutorial on multitexturing helped me quite a bit btw

I really dont have the time for 2 passes. I guess i will have to blend the base and lightmap before rendering then. Should do the trick right ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS