[slimDX] textures on the simpletriangle

Started by
2 comments, last by Xyno 12 years, 7 months ago
i have been working with slimdx (direct3d11) for 2-3 months now.
i started programming about 1.5years ago, the only langue i know is c#.

thats why i chose for slimdx when i started working on my game, i have been able
to make basic triangles, squares, qube's, etc. implement rotation(on the cpu) and i made a basic game world in which i can move around.

uptil now i have used shader only to return a color, colering my world by giving each polygon another colered shader, but now i would like to use textures(image .bmp or .jpg or something like that) instead of colors for my polygons.

so my question is how do i get to use a image instead of a color to be drawn as my polygon?

i have been searching for 3days and so far i havent found any helpfull tuturial about the subject for slimdx, i have found a dx11 tuturial to place a texture on a cube. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff729724(VS.85).aspx)
and i have been trying to use it to put a texture on the simpletriangle slimdx tutorial, but the only thing i get are erors or just a plain blue background.
this i probably due to the fact that i dont understand c++ or hlsl.

so if anyone has/knows some working code/ tuturial to put a texture on a square, triangle or cube , i would realy apriciate that.

the thing i'm currently stuck on is this :

from the msdn dx11 tutrial mentioned above :

c++ code (i assume)g_pImmediateContext->PSSetShaderResources( 0, 1, &g_pTextureRV );g_pImmediateContext->PSSetSamplers( 0, 1, &g_pSamplerLinear );hlsl code (i assume)// Pixel Shaderfloat4 PS( PS_INPUT input) : SV_Target{    return txDiffuse.Sample( samLinear, input.Tex ) * vMeshColor;}// Vertex ShaderPS_INPUT VS( VS_INPUT input ){    PS_INPUT output = (PS_INPUT)0;    output.Pos = mul( input.Pos, World );    output.Pos = mul( output.Pos, View );    output.Pos = mul( output.Pos, Projection );    output.Tex = input.Tex;            return output;}

i tryed transelating this code to slim dx and i seem to be able to work around most errors i get but i keep getting a txDiffuse doesent exist exeption.

exept for here (txDiffuse is the object storing our texture that we passed in from the code above, when we bound the resource view g_pTextureRV to it.)
the name txdiffuse isent mentioned any where else in the tuturial, leading me to assume that its not a varable but some kind of a keyword that exists in directx but not in slim dx.(i could be totaly rong here no clue how hlsl works just speculation.)

the g_pTextureRV thats mentioned in the "explenation" of the txdiffuse thingie,
is set here: g_pImmediateContext->PSSetShaderResources( 0, 1, &g_pTextureRV );
which i assume corresponds to this : device.ImmediateContext.PixelShader.SetShaderResource(resourceView, 0);
in slimdx but there doesent seem a way for me to pas g_pTextureRV there, this leaves me a bit confused.

i would apreciate it if anyone could offer me some help whit this problem.
Advertisement
Your HLSL shader that you posted -- is that the complete shader? You never defined "txDiffuse," so it'll tell you that it doesn't exist when it tries to compile the shader.

You're going to want to take a look at Riemer's XNA or Managed DirectX tutorials for this problem; it's explained nicely.

This has exactly what you're looking for:
http://www.riemers.net/eng/Tutorials/XNA/Csharp/Series3/Textured_triangle.php

The basics as I understand them in DirectX 9 are this: You need to set up a shader with a texture sampler (tells the graphics card how to pick/generate pixels from the texture). You then set the texture in the shader in your C++ program, and the sampler figures out how to color the pixels from the texture you fed it and your pixel shader code. I don't know if it's exactly the same for Direct3D 11, but something tells me the HLSL interaction part should be similar.

Best,
- Steve.
i finally got a texture to be painted(on a square)

the tutorial you linked to was indeed very helpfull, it gave me a better insight in how shaders function, so tank you for that.

but there seems to be some difference between xna dx9 and slimdx 11 so i still had to do a lot of puzzeling to get the syntax right.

so i'm gonna leave my working code here so the next person whith a problem like this may find it usefull.

its not realy the nicest code and i dont know if its the best (or even the right) way to do it but i got a picture to show up on the screen so for what its worth :

program.cs
using System.Windows.Forms;using SlimDX;using SlimDX.D3DCompiler;using SlimDX.Direct3D11;using SlimDX.DXGI;using SlimDX.Windows;using Device = SlimDX.Direct3D11.Device;using Resource = SlimDX.Direct3D11.Resource;namespace SimpleTriangle{    static class Program    {        static void Main()        {            Device device;            SwapChain swapChain;            ShaderSignature inputSignature;            VertexShader vertexShader;            PixelShader pixelShader;            var form = new RenderForm("Tutorial 3: Simple Triangle");            var description = new SwapChainDescription()            {                BufferCount = 2,                Usage = Usage.RenderTargetOutput,                OutputHandle = form.Handle,                IsWindowed = true,                ModeDescription = new ModeDescription(0, 0, new Rational(60, 1), Format.R8G8B8A8_UNorm),                SampleDescription = new SampleDescription(1, 0),                Flags = SwapChainFlags.AllowModeSwitch,                SwapEffect = SwapEffect.Discard            };            Device.CreateWithSwapChain(DriverType.Hardware, DeviceCreationFlags.None, description, out device, out swapChain);            // create a view of our render target, which is the backbuffer of the swap chain we just created            RenderTargetView renderTarget;            using (var resource = Resource.FromSwapChain<Texture2D>(swapChain, 0))                renderTarget = new RenderTargetView(device, resource);            // setting a viewport is required if you want to actually see anything            var context = device.ImmediateContext;            var viewport = new Viewport(0.0f, 0.0f, form.ClientSize.Width, form.ClientSize.Height);            context.OutputMerger.SetTargets(renderTarget);            context.Rasterizer.SetViewports(viewport);            ShaderBytecode effectByteCode = ShaderBytecode.CompileFromFile("effect.fx", "Render", "fx_5_0", /*"vs_4_0_level_9_1", */ShaderFlags.None, EffectFlags.None);            Effect effect = new Effect(device,effectByteCode);                      SamplerDescription a = new SamplerDescription();            a.AddressU = TextureAddressMode.Wrap;            a.AddressV = TextureAddressMode.Wrap;            a.AddressW = TextureAddressMode.Wrap;               a.Filter = Filter.MinPointMagMipLinear;                    SamplerState b = SamplerState.FromDescription(device, a);            Texture2D flower = Texture2D.FromFile(device, "rainbow.bmp");            ShaderResourceView resourceView = new ShaderResourceView(device, flower);            device.ImmediateContext.PixelShader.SetShaderResource(resourceView, 0);                    effect.GetVariableByName("xTexture").AsResource().SetResource(resourceView);            effect.GetVariableByName("TextureSampler").AsSampler().SetSamplerState(0, b);          context.PixelShader.SetShaderResource(resourceView, 0);            context.PixelShader.SetSampler(b,0);                    using (var bytecode = ShaderBytecode.CompileFromFile("effect.fx", "vs_main", "vs_4_0", ShaderFlags.None, EffectFlags.None))            {                inputSignature = ShaderSignature.GetInputSignature(bytecode);                vertexShader = new VertexShader(device, bytecode);            }                using (var bytecode = ShaderBytecode.CompileFromFile("effect.fx", "ps_main", "ps_5_0", ShaderFlags.None, EffectFlags.None))                pixelShader = new PixelShader(device, bytecode);                      var vertices = new DataStream(20 * 4, true, true);                  vertices.Write(new Vector3(-0.5f, -0.5f, 0.5f));vertices.Write(new Vector2(1f, 1f));            vertices.Write(new Vector3(-0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f)); vertices.Write(new Vector2(0f, 1f));            vertices.Write(new Vector3(0.5f, -0.5f, 0.5f)); vertices.Write(new Vector2(1f, 0f));            vertices.Write(new Vector3(0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f)); vertices.Write(new Vector2(0f, 0f));              vertices.Position = 0;            var elements = new[] { new InputElement("POSITION", 0, Format.R32G32B32_Float, 0), new InputElement("textcoord", 0, Format.R32G32_Float, 12, 0) };            var layout = new InputLayout(device, inputSignature, elements);            var vertexBuffer = new Buffer(device, vertices,20 * 4, ResourceUsage.Default, BindFlags.VertexBuffer, CpuAccessFlags.None, ResourceOptionFlags.None, 0);            context.InputAssembler.InputLayout = layout;            context.InputAssembler.PrimitiveTopology = PrimitiveTopology.TriangleStrip;            context.InputAssembler.SetVertexBuffers(0, new VertexBufferBinding(vertexBuffer,20, 0));            context.VertexShader.Set(vertexShader);          context.PixelShader.Set(pixelShader);                     MessagePump.Run(form, () =>            {                               context.ClearRenderTargetView(renderTarget, new Color4(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f));                               context.Draw(4, 0);                swapChain.Present(0, PresentFlags.None);            });            vertices.Close();            vertexBuffer.Dispose();            layout.Dispose();            inputSignature.Dispose();            vertexShader.Dispose();                renderTarget.Dispose();            swapChain.Dispose();            device.Dispose();        }    }}

fx file :
Texture2D <float4> xTexture;sampler TextureSampler;struct VS_IN{	float4 pos : POSITION;float2 cords :textcoord;};struct PS_IN{	float4 pos : SV_POSITION;float2 cords :textcoord;};PS_IN vs_main(VS_IN input) {	PS_IN output = (PS_IN)0;	output.pos = input.pos;        output.cords =input.cords;	return output;}float4 ps_main(PS_IN input) : SV_Target{float2 temp;temp  = float2(input.cords[0],input.cords[1]);	return   xTexture.Sample(TextureSampler,temp );}
Thx for the snippet georges123,

It was usefull for me, the effect part was missing in my code.

Cheers and GL for your game, we all share the same passion :)

Xyno

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement