• Create Account

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
487 replies to this topic

#1 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1941

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

This is extremely spiffy, but I am still highly disoriented. Also, those blue feedback tabs always look like "facebook" to me.

EDIT: Are the user ratings gone forever? I kind of hope so, but then again, kind of not.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

Sponsor:

#2 SteveDeFacto   Banned   -  Reputation: 105

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

Personally I think it's kinda cool though I don't like drastic changes. I wish they would have slowly transitioned into the new layout instead of just completely changing everything. Also it kinda has a pre-built template feel to it. I don't know what do you guys think about it?

#3 Kayzaks   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

Woah, unexpected this is.

Very cool!

#4 kloffy   Members   -  Reputation: 862

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

Personally I think it's kinda cool though I don't like drastic changes. I wish they would have slowly transitioned into the new layout instead of just completely changing everything. Also it kinda has a pre-built template feel to it. I don't know what do you guys think about it?

First impression: I like it, very slick!

The only thing that's bothering me at the moment is that the "Recent Threads"-box is so far down the frontpage. For me, it is one of the most important elements of the site. I really liked being able to see the latest discussions at a glance.

All in all, the new layout seems to take up more space. You could say that the old one was using screen space more efficiently. But I guess this can be somewhat fixed by adjusting the font size.

#5 Magius3   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

The only thing that's bothering me at the moment is that the "Recent Threads"-box is so far down the frontpage. For me, it is one of the most important elements of the site. I really liked being able to see the latest discussions at a glance

Agreed. The new layout is nice, but I would also prefer if this were closer to the top again.

#6 The Communist Duck   Members   -  Reputation: 154

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:33 AM

I think it's really neat. It'll take some getting used to from the old design, but I think it's great.

However the reputation system going into post count isn't amazing - it's difficult to tell if someone's an old member or a really good answerer (which I've found on other sites; very often people have spammed their way to huge post counts, seeming knowledgeable and actually useless)

#7 davepermen   Members   -  Reputation: 1007

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:38 AM

This is extremely spiffy, but I am still highly disoriented. Also, those blue feedback tabs always look like "facebook" to me.

EDIT: Are the user ratings gone forever? I kind of hope so, but then again, kind of not.

you have Reputation: 584Excellent
so no, it's not gone, but it changed. like everything..
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

#8 SteveDeFacto   Banned   -  Reputation: 105

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

I think it's really neat. It'll take some getting used to from the old design, but I think it's great.

However the reputation system going into post count isn't amazing - it's difficult to tell if someone's an old member or a really good answerer (which I've found on other sites; very often people have spammed their way to huge post counts, seeming knowledgeable and actually useless)

In my opinion I am very happy they got rid of the old rating system because even posting a thread like this in the lounge would make my rating drop. However, I think they should have had a rating system where users can only rate each other up. This way you would know if someone was a really helpful poster but you would not have people down rating each other over silly things like they used to.

#9 davepermen   Members   -  Reputation: 1007

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

In my opinion I am very happy they got rid of the old rating system because even posting a thread like this in the lounge would make my rating drop. However, I think they should have had a rating system where users can only rate each other up. This way you would know if someone was a really helpful poster but you would not have people down rating each other over silly things like they used to.

they have. i have a reputation allready. yours is 0 :) no clue how to increase it, though.. how does it work?!

edit: ah, one can vote up posts. that's nice.

edit2: yes, voted your post, and you got a reputation of 1.
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

#10 ChurchSkiz   Members   -  Reputation: 433

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:48 AM

I'm in the same boat, so much change so fast scares me. The features seem cool though. I will miss the rating system.

New profile system is pretty cool though. I especially like the ability to attach files to your profile.

#11 davepermen   Members   -  Reputation: 1007

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

Just rate the posts now. Better than rating persons.

#12 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

Very slick. Everything is so brand spanking new!

My two questions are:
  • Where did my Rating Points go?
  • Will we get the Black Theme back?

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#13 Drew_Benton   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1713

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:54 AM

I'm a HUGE fan of IP.Board so it was a pleasant surprise to see GD move to it. I'm very excited to see how GD progresses as a site this year now!

Kudos to the GD.net staff for finally making this happen, it's been a long time coming.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams." - William Butler Yeats

#14 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1941

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

Interesting. A lot of people seem to have reverted to 0 (neutral). At first I thought it was just people with ratings below 1000 on the old scale, but that doesn't seem right.

EDIT: AAH!@! No more HTML tags.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

#15 SteveDeFacto   Banned   -  Reputation: 105

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:59 AM

Awesome I can upload a profile picture without needing a GDNet+ membership!

#16 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4641

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

hey everyone! Just letting you all know I'm cooking up another blog post to go up in the next few days covering the major changes that you will all be dealing with, however I'm sitting back and listening to conversations like these to decide exactly what I need to cover. So keep exploring, keep asking questions and keep submitting feedback and I will be addressing all of it in the days and weeks to come!!

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#17 ChurchSkiz   Members   -  Reputation: 433

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

Just rate the posts now. Better than rating persons.

Just saw that now, up to posts, topics, and you get personal ratings on members too. Pretty slick.

#18 ChurchSkiz   Members   -  Reputation: 433

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

Awesome I can upload a profile picture without needing a GDNet+ membership!

How'd you do that? I only get access to 3 pre-installed avatars.

#19 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7641

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

I'm just wondering if there is any change with GD.net+, either active changes or planned ones?

#20 SteveDeFacto   Banned   -  Reputation: 105

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:14 AM

How'd you do that? I only get access to 3 pre-installed avatars.

Psh... like I'd tell you... =P

Just create an Album and set a picture to be your profile picture.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS