• Create Account

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
487 replies to this topic

#201 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1635

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

While we're at it, can we change the slogan to "GDNet, following the crowd since 2011."? GDNet has lost it's identity. Bland. Boring. Web 2.0. For a game development site, where's the creativity? Where's the do-it-yourself attitude? Let the new generation enjoy this site.

To be fair I suggested turning the forums into web browser mmo game with avatars that allowed you to walk around in the site. I can't find it in the IRC logs, but no one took me seriously :(

Sponsor:

#202 Lex224   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

I rather like the change. That is all.

#203 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1939

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

On one hand I agree with much of the objective criticism that has been made, and some of the subjective concerns as well, but I nonetheless had (and still have) an immediate positive reaction to the new site. In many ways it actually feels more like the "old Gamedev" than the previous iteration of the site, and it actually makes me want to share my game development endeavors.

That said, I have one more question. The blog icon seems to appear and disappear at random from my avatar area thing. Is this intentional?

missingblog.png vs. notmissingblog.png
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

#204 dragongame   Members   -  Reputation: 538

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

Hi,

I still find myself lost on the new site. I can't see things at a glaze. I do not like the new layout. And I will probably be absent for some time and hope, that when I return, the site has improved.

“Always programm as if the person who will be maintaining your program is a violent psychopath that knows where you live”

#205 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

3. Rating system - I like this new idea about rating posts instead of users, but I still understand the significance of being able to see the individual rating of a user directly from their posts. With such a rating system, I was able easily to tell whom within the community was most helpful and/or knowledgeable on a specific subject. Sure the rating system turned into a race to the bottom when it came to heated threads, but I believe overall it forced users into constructing well-written, no BS posts, and I think that is why GDNet had such high quality content coming from the forums. I would like to see a better compromise between these two features, I find them both useful. I also find the join date of a member to be a more valuable attribute than their post count, in general I have never been fond of community forums that emphasized a user's post count directly within a post (I know, a lot of forums do this, which is why I enjoyed visiting GDNet in particular).

My problem with the old system was exactly what you mention. If you get into any political discussion a rating that is supposed to indicate helpfulness or knowledge is lowered because people disagree with your political/religious/whatever beliefs, which cheapens it as a metric for who is most or least helpful to me. It became a trivial measure of how non-controversial or how little you shared a belief structure rather than any useful metric of technical knowledge or helpfulness. I probably lost 200 points just because I held a controversial view on healthcare, even though I wasn't really hostile and my arguments were generally subjective and I sourced most of my objective points. I don't really care about having a low rating, but it's something that made the rating system completely arbitrary and ignorable for me as a user.

The new system seems like it will solve that by having helpful users with ludicrously high ratings, but people who hold a controversial viewpoint won't get punished for being controversial. Unhelpful people will just not have a high rating.

It would be nice to have a minus rating for posts that didn't negatively affect overall rating just to distinguish helpful or unhelpful posts in technical topics though.

#206 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4637

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

I still find myself lost on the new site. I can't see things at a glaze. I do not like the new layout. And I will probably be absent for some time and hope, that when I return, the site has improved.

That's not a very good way to make sure the site is improved to your liking. Stick around, submit feedback and lend a hand.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#207 zerotri   Members   -  Reputation: 274

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

In my opinion GD was in need of a bit of modernization. The site currently however looks like it's formatted for high resolution displays which I know many people have, however I have been browsing GD on my laptop with a low resolution (1280x800) 13" screen for over a year, and was on an even lower resolution 15" before then. Browsing the homepage, I can't even read all of the Featured Development Journal/GDNet Spotlight boxes because of how large everything is. I agree that som text should indeed be large, but that should be limited to areas such as site menu. Why is the default post font so large and yet the font size for quotes is tiny in comparison. This forces me to constantly move myself closer and farther away from the screen just to read the text comforably. Please make the large fonts a bit smaller.

I also agree that there seems to be quite a bit of whitespace, as well as various large unused rectangles thrown into the mix to add color. I can deal with these myself by doing a custom stylesheet, but I really shouldn't have to. There is no reason that the Attachments/Options under this add reply box should take up the same amount of space as this box. A lot of the design can be streamlined. I for one am a minimalist and would prefer a site similar in design to this, but most would likely find it too minimal for GD.

Where is GDNet+? I wasn't the biggest fan of GDNet+, but I know that every time I saw the "Join GDNet+" section of the site it was in a strange way like the feeling I get when a new macbook is released. The feeling of wanting to drop the money right then and there because some of the features added were definitely worth paying for. Now I have a free blog? A free custom avatar? Why thank you GD, but this is also no way to get more revenue. At this point I am searching for that upgrade button just to see what is being offered. GDNet+ was indeed worth it and though I hadn't yet purchased a subscription in the years I've been here, I've been wanting to more and more. You almost had my money there.

I love what Gamedev has done for the programming community. The site is both helpful for newcomers and yet also informative for experts. I don't believe the new layout is going to change this, but if the new site layout stays this way it's going to be much harder to navigate for many users and may cause us to miss some of the more useful content of the site.

-Wynter Woods

#208 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

In my opinion GD was in need of a bit of modernization. The site currently however looks like it's formatted for high resolution displays which I know many people have, however I have been browsing GD on my laptop with a low resolution (1280x800) 13" screen for over a year [...]

To be honest, I'm reading the site through a 17' CRT monitor at 1152x864 and it took me 7 minutes to find most features. The 1 I couldn't find I found it by asking here and got a proper reply in no-time. I can perfectly read *everything* everywhere.

Either I am a real hero or there really is people who enjoy complaining for nimieties.
I like the Walrus best.

#209 Mike.Popoloski   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2850

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

To be honest, I'm reading the site through a 17' CRT monitor at 1152x864 and it took me 7 minutes to find most features. The 1 I couldn't find I found it by asking here and got a proper reply in no-time. I can perfectly read *everything* everywhere.

Either I am a real hero or there really is people who enjoy complaining for nimieties.

Or maybe you're a stupid tool who likes complaining about people who are complaining. It "only" took you 7 minutes? Seven minutes to figure out how to navigate a site is 6.5 minutes too many. A ridiculous amount of time really for what should be immediately and directly obvious to anyone who looks at it.

Also notice how I can be rude to people now? No more worrying about rate downs! Yes, I'm making a point here.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

#210 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

Or maybe you're a stupid tool who likes complaining about people who are complaining. It "only" took you 7 minutes? Seven minutes to figure out how to navigate a site is 6.5 minutes too many. A ridiculous amount of time really for what should be immediately and directly obvious to anyone who looks at it.

Also notice how I can be rude to people now? No more worrying about rate downs! Yes, I'm making a point here.

What's your point "Popoloski" ? :)
I like the Walrus best.

#211 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2092

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

Well, so long Gamedev!

I loved being here for 2 years in tears and joy, danger and security, laughter and anger.
But I can't keep up with this. You have taken a path I can't follow.
It will be tough, but it's time to move on!

Farewell!

#212 KulSeran   Members   -  Reputation: 2163

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

The big issue I've complained about is the extranious vertical white space. Good web pages don't make you scroll to find the most used features ( "active topics" for many forum readers, and IOTD has been brought up alot ). Good web pages also don't have "pages" for lists (look at google's new image search), and thus I personally miss being able to set 100+ posts per page so that I never had to click "next page" on most topics. A few things moved, and people don't like looking for new things (i hate it, but i know i'll get used to the new stuff here).

#213 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

One thing I will miss, though I'm sure others won't, is the ability to make cool javascript features. Like the "rotating" words, "image replacement", spoiler's tags, "floating" text. Ahhh, so nice and fun. Those days are gone now.

So, how do you create different themes for this site now anyway? Can anyone do them? Drop a little CSS? Or is it something that has to be done through this new software?
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#214 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1635

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

One thing I will miss, though I'm sure others won't, is the ability to make cool javascript features. Like the "rotating" words, "image replacement", spoiler's tags, "floating" text. Ahhh, so nice and fun. Those days are gone now.

Spoiler

I asked for sandboxed javascript when Superpig was working on V5 B) Though my intent was to allow the insertion of canvas games into the web browser.

#215 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 691

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

Couldn't agree more and certainly won't be paying for another year of GDNet+ unless a lot of the issues above are addressed. Having looked around the new content, my current feeling is that this is the death of gamedev.net and time to start looking for a new site.

Sorry if that is harsh but GDNet has been a very big part of my development life and I'm very unhappy to see it effectively gone now.

You think GD is defined by the CSS stylesheet used, not the massive community?

While we're at it, can we change the slogan to "GDNet, following the crowd since 2011."? GDNet has lost it's identity. Bland. Boring. Web 2.0. For a game development site, where's the creativity? Where's the do-it-yourself attitude? Let the new generation enjoy this site.

You think it's a bad idea for a site about game development to follow what is popular? That's just plain stupid. Games are written for all those people who use popular things, all the new coders learning to code today have grown up with Facebook and similar sites. You're the one stuck in the past and I'd be worried about slowing down in my ability to accept change if I were you - it's a pretty bad sign in a programmer.

I agree. I'm perplexed that people who pride themselves on being intelligent and technically adept are apparently unable to figure out a simple website, especially while complaining it's too similar to other sites. If it's similar, that should make it easier. People were in uproar the last time changed, for no better reasons. In fact every forum I've ever been on that has had an overhaul, people whinge about it.

I have a small number of specific complaints, but if people seriously can't figure out how to use a simple website, maybe they aren't cut out for game development.

#216 zerotri   Members   -  Reputation: 274

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

You think it's a bad idea for a site about game development to follow what is popular? That's just plain stupid. Games are written for all those people who use popular things, all the new coders learning to code today have grown up with Facebook and similar sites. You're the one stuck in the past and I'd be worried about slowing down in my ability to accept change if I were you - it's a pretty bad sign in a programmer.

I agree. I'm perplexed that people who pride themselves on being intelligent and technically adept are apparently unable to figure out a simple website, especially while complaining it's too similar to other sites. If it's similar, that should make it easier. People were in uproar the last time changed, for no better reasons. In fact every forum I've ever been on that has had an overhaul, people whinge about it.

I have a small number of specific complaints, but if people seriously can't figure out how to use a simple website, maybe they aren't cut out for game development.

Everyone that frequently visits this site is fully capable of adapting, but there we should be adapting to a change in content/location rather than a change in readability. There are plenty of small things I can complain about if you want. Why is AIM still not listed under contact me? Why does me gravatar seem to show up in posts, yet not in the upper left corner next to my username? Where have all of my watched posts gone? But none of these actually affect me on a day to day basis. What does affect me is how it seems like I'm wading through advertisements to get to the news on the front page. Yes, those advertisements were always there, but they weren't as prominent then. Now they are in my face. Goal achieved: I looked at your ad. I also happen to have lost interest in reading the news because of how much of a mess the front page is.

It's great that they switched from their previous forum software(what were they even using?) to IPB. I'm sure the site will be a lot easier to manage for them now. Web 2.0 shouldn't be a bad thing, and neither should social networking. What is bad is how I can't read the GD content comfortably.

Yes, I repeat myself. Yes, it's all been said before. This thread is here for us to post our thoughts about the site's layout, isn't it?

-Wynter Woods

#217 kseh   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1826

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

At first I was very much against the social networking type features but maybe they're a good thing. Since this site tends to aim for a fairly professional feel, we have been given the opportunity to take fledgling members and beat into them that "Add me" is uncool, unprofessional, annoying as hell, and warrents punishments like permanent banishment or being placed on a black list of some sort such that their super cool MMO never ever sees the light of day even with a full working demo (or some such thing). Maybe the young 'ns that are capable of absorbing our doctrine of what is acceptable, mature social networking will spread the word to their 'friends'and the web will once again feel like junior high-school drama is a distant forgotten concept.

If effective policies can't be worked out to handle juvenile social networking behavior, then that aspect shouldn't be here at all. I would figure that it isn't the intention of this site to compete with facebook et al. Providing a means to link to people's facebook pages should be sufficient. If my feelings on the matter can't be guessed, I don't come here (or to any website) to collect 'friends' that I don't know and don't know me so I'm not very fond of that particular feature.

If it turns out the way I think things should work is completly out-dated, I will concede I have turned into one of those old people swearing about kids today and how their new fangled notions are messing up the whole world and I will need to find a cave to live in with no electricty, wi-fi, or cell reception.

Other than that, I don't care much for the current icons indicating forum and post activity, they blend in too much with the other colours. And as already mentioned, it does look a little too facebook-ish, especially the Feedback link on the side. Not really sure why people say it looks more modern (maybe I'm old). There is some stuff to get used to and the over all change isn't a bad thing.

#218 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2092

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

I think it's much ore about the community than the actual content. This was a unique community, and I think the simple style, the rating system, the minimalistic interface (it's a technical forum after all, not some I don't know what) had a large part in that. Changing nicks, so that everydody will be lost in the swamp. I always thought gamedev has the best forum system, I never liked other forums so much (in fact, there are only 2 forums I use for "fun", this, and another one, but I like that for the community, not the forums). Maybe the posts are too separated, I don't know why I feel that

All the personality is gone.
Now Gamedev is just another programming forum I'm not interested in, since I'm not a programmer.

to be honest, this whole connected world shit is so UFO to me. In fact, I do think it causes more harm than good. I don't see no professionalism in adding those FB shit to the site. It is so annoyingly vapid.

#219 dvno   Members   -  Reputation: 499

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

Overall, I would like to say that the change is very positive. I like that you can rate individual posts, and that the profiles are more social now.

But I would like to note two issues about the new site.. First, I was not able to login with my old password, and had to reset it. Second, the "Recent Forum Posts" feature in the old site was great, and pretty much essential. It allowed to browse very far into the recent post history. Currently the site shows only the last 5 recent posts, and it doesn't even show in which forum they were posted. It would be great if you could browse further into recent post history.

#220 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4637

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

Other than that, I don't care much for the current icons indicating forum and post activity, they blend in too much with the other colours.

Those we can definitely change at some point, they're just the default IPS icons.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS