• Create Account

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
487 replies to this topic

#221 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

The site layout breaks when it's narrower than about 1200 pixels wide, which is wider than I usually keep my web browser. Usually about 960px wide is right for me, though I'm not sure how common that is for other people.

Also, I like the idea of letting you sign on with Facebook/Twitter. But I'd absolutely love to be able to do single sign-on with my Gmail account. I've implemented this myself for LucidChart (see sig), and I'd be more than happy to point you guys in the right direction or even write a little code to get it done. Of course, I'd want you to notice that I already have an existing account with my gmail address and just log me into the right account, rather than creating a new empty one for my Gmail account.

Is it just me, or is the :hover color on the top menu ('home', 'features', etc) white, therefore making the text invisible when you hover over them?

When I'm not logged in, the Reply button on a thread is disabled, with no login (or register) button nearby.

~BenDilts( void );

Lucidchart: Online Flow Chart Software; Lucidpress: Digital Publishing Software

Sponsor:

#222 Mossa Nova   Members   -  Reputation: 125

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

I like what they did. They saw a problem and fixed it.

Great job folks!
Mossa TheGreat, Semi-Game Programmer, born in 1991, student.Hangs out mostly at www.3DBuzz.com. Good community for anything CG - Computer Graphics - related.

#223 benryves   Members   -  Reputation: 1992

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:21 PM

Is it just me, or is the :hover color on the top menu ('home', 'features', etc) white, therefore making the text invisible when you hover over them?

This is a side-effect of the site being very wide; if you reduce your browser width the menus wrap onto the line below their intended dark background .
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

#224 maxgpgpu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 279

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

This should be a poll, so we can get an instant feedback impression.

Off hand it appears I'm in the minority, but I dislike every aspect of the new system. The current scheme is much less intuitive.

Probably my biggest overall gripe is, the old style was much more "concise". By that, I mean lots more information fits in a given size window in old style. Huge bummer for me so far.

At least I hope the majority are better off, even if I'm in the minority.

#225 Khawk   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 1362

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:26 PM

Also, I like the idea of letting you sign on with Facebook/Twitter. But I'd absolutely love to be able to do single sign-on with my Gmail account. I've implemented this myself for LucidChart (see sig), and I'd be more than happy to point you guys in the right direction or even write a little code to get it done. Of course, I'd want you to notice that I already have an existing account with my gmail address and just log me into the right account, rather than creating a new empty one for my Gmail account.

I like the Google account linking idea. Did you submit it to the feedback system?

#226 Aardvajk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5998

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

I've had a rethink.

Lots of strong reactions, but that is because (IMHO) GDNet is such a big, important part of our development lives.

#227 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

I like the Google account linking idea. Did you submit it to the feedback system?

Submitted, thanks for reminding me to put it into the right channel.

~BenDilts( void );

Lucidchart: Online Flow Chart Software; Lucidpress: Digital Publishing Software

#228 dvno   Members   -  Reputation: 499

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

I see "View Latest Content" link is working now. So now I am happy.

#229 KulSeran   Members   -  Reputation: 2544

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

I've had a rethink.

Lots of strong reactions, but that is because (IMHO) GDNet is such a big, important part of our development lives.

It's also really easy to find things to complain about and easy to do so. The things that are working just work, and you don't notice them. The things you don't use you anyway probably won't complain about. etc.

I think, overall, the changes are good. The new site has a lot of good features to it, and is overall very slick. But, like everyone else, while they are actively working hard to transition everything, I'll complain loudly for the betterment of the community I've been part of for 7 years. As posted above, the link to "devs shouldn't read forums" does have some good logic to it. The signal to noise ratio is going to be horrific at times like these, and more people will post "i hate this" than "i like this" because the people who like it are too busy just using it.

Keep up the good work staff.

#230 KulSeran   Members   -  Reputation: 2544

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

I see "View Latest Content" link is working now. So now I am happy.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

#231 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

I've had a rethink.

Sorry, but your profile highlights a problem in wasted space. Click the link to his post so you can see it if you didn't notice it.

Anyway, people with avatars and little forum badges have all their posts take up a large amount of space. Even a once sentence post takes up almost 3 inches of vertical space.

By far my biggest complaint is the waste of vertical space in threads and in the forum thread list. In the thread list it seems to stem mostly from the default thumbnail thread identifier picture things on the far left. In the threads themselves it's harder to say because it's a bunch of little things that add up to a lot of wasted vertical space.

http://www.gamedev.net/forum/3-gdnet-lounge/
http://archive.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=3

if you look at them both, the old GDnet lounge you can get to almost 12 different threads without scrolling. On the new one just 6.

in the game dev's should avoid forums thread, you can't even see the second post with the new style.

#232 Eastfist   Members   -  Reputation: 159

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

Very slick. Posted Image

BUT, it's too wordy. At least before, there were gamepad icons or book icons denoting what each new entry was about. I don't want to be reminded of looking at code in an IDE, seen too much. Posted Image
Be part of the man/machine revolution. SDXM 2D game engine.
www.eastfist.com

#233 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8319

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

I've been using the site a bit now, its all right I don't really mind the layout all that much. What I am happy about is that visible progress has been made, if the site can then build on this by iterating reasonably quickly then that would be great. Reading the site on my iPhone is cool, the site works much better than the old one. I haven't bothered to login or post yet though.

About the polls, I guess I associate them with people who start their own little free forum. The forum has 4 messages, 2 of which are pointless polls. My "fear" is that newbies to the site will start polls without really understanding how the community works here. I prefer the old site which had a centralised list of polls, but which ran long enough to get a good response rate and were moderated to weed out a lot of useless polls.

Other than that, I don't like the ad between the top post and the next reply, I think the ad should be moved from the content area to elsewere on the site. Mixing ads with content is really bad from a user's point of view.

#234 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:46 PM

Actually, now that I think about it, why am I getting ads when I'm a paying GDnet+ member? :blink:
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

#235 Fiddler   Members   -  Reputation: 850

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

The site breaks when viewed on my 1080x1920 monitor (rotated). Please, design it for ~960px screens (to allow for zooming in), the current design requires 1200px which is too high.

Another feature request: allow existing users to associate openids to their accounts and make sure you can log in via gmail. Pretty please?

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

#236 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5245

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

Sorry, but your profile highlights a problem in wasted space. Click the link to his post so you can see it if you didn't notice it.

Anyway, people with avatars and little forum badges have all their posts take up a large amount of space. Even a once sentence post takes up almost 3 inches of vertical space.

By far my biggest complaint is the waste of vertical space in threads and in the forum thread list. In the thread list it seems to stem mostly from the default thumbnail thread identifier picture things on the far left. In the threads themselves it's harder to say because it's a bunch of little things that add up to a lot of wasted vertical space.

http://www.gamedev.n...3-gdnet-lounge/
http://archive.gamed....asp?forum_id=3

if you look at them both, the old GDnet lounge you can get to almost 12 different threads without scrolling. On the new one just 6.

in the game dev's should avoid forums thread, you can't even see the second post with the new style.

If you really want to get technical, each row is 7 pixels higher.

#237 BLG   Members   -  Reputation: 154

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

I logged on after many years to say that: I hope the personal ratings go away permanently. I hate this feature and is the main reason I do not contribute to any GD discussions. The rating system made me immediately stop contributing to this community after receiving downvotes for my helpful posts for no apparent reason which gave me a shit poor attitude spending my time helping people on this board.

Some more feedback:
- This site is mainly a forum site and as others have said the recent threads needs to be put back at the top of the page
- The image of the day MUST be put back visibly on the front page, as it is one of the most inspirational things on this site.
- Personally I dont care about most web 2.0 bandwagons and despise the post to social network buttons. I do not need to immediately Twitter, Delicious, Reddit, ect.. everything from this site to the rest of the world.
- Vertical real estate seems to be wasted, which may be a problem later on my netbook.
- I like that this forum does not have huge image tags at the bottom of each post, however I do prefer if you keep the text only tags as I have found many interesting projects from people that way.

Keep up the work guys, should be an interesting upgrade.
Boo ya grandma.. boo ya!

#238 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1214

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

I have to agree with what others have said so far regarding wasted space for one liners. Having the avatars and forum badges make this comment take up an excessive amount of space compared to what it should do. Can't we fit these things horizontally above the post like the old forums, with smaller images? Even if the avatars don't shrink it will still reduce the waste of screen real estate.

#239 0BZEN   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2016

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

I like it, but I'm confused at the same time.

Does lack the 'gamedev' touch somehow.

Everything is better with Metal.

#240 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

I have to agree with what others have said so far regarding wasted space for one liners. Having the avatars and forum badges make this comment take up an excessive amount of space compared to what it should do. Can't we fit these things horizontally above the post like the old forums, with smaller images? Even if the avatars don't shrink it will still reduce the waste of screen real estate.

wow your info area is a nightmare in this setup. You have an avatar, 3 line location and 2 lines of badges.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS