• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
487 replies to this topic

#241 Washu   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 5368

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

wow your info area is a nightmare in this setup. You have an avatar, 3 line location and 2 lines of badges.

Hehehe.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.
ScapeCode - Blog | SlimDX

Sponsor:

#242 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1774

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

I logged on after many years to say that: I hope the personal ratings go away permanently. I hate this feature and is the main reason I do not contribute to any GD discussions. The rating system made me immediately stop contributing to this community after receiving downvotes for my helpful posts for no apparent reason which gave me a shit poor attitude spending my time helping people on this board.

You had 16 posts... You would not imagine how many times people here get voted down by random people. Overall after time the rating reflects a general consensus. Usually people have a general concept of their rating unless their oblivious to how they act on a forum

Also if you care about your rating the trick was always there. Post in for beginners or answer easy questions in like math and physics.

#243 leiavoia   Members   -  Reputation: 960

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

Also if you care about your rating the trick was always there. Post in for beginners or answer easy questions in like math and physics.

Yeah, i guess we can let the cat out of the bag now. Good bye, kitty!

But you know what? That was always the incentive to help out the newbies. Who's going to help out the newbies now?

#244 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1217

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

wow your info area is a nightmare in this setup. You have an avatar, 3 line location and 2 lines of badges.

I'm tempted to remove them all just for sanity, but the more obnoxious it is now the more likely something could be done about it sooner rather than later.

#245 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

A (super-basic, really kinda ugly) dark theme is now available, and will be further developed. It'll get complex and pretty more quickly if anyone's willing to help me out with it.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

#246 Matias Goldberg   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3576

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Regarding the rating system: I've been voted down. Multiple times. A few times it fell awfully.

But what did I learn from that? I realized I was being an ass, and more importantly, unprofessional.

I often learned the hard way that I was wrong.

I'll agree when it comes to political/religion discussions, the rating system becomes unfair, but I just stay away from them. This is a technical forum after all, a few comments may go into the lounge but an actual debate isn't best handled in GD.Net

I learnt to shut my mouth when I don't know about something or my opinion isn't needed, and to only speak when I am required and I can add something of value to the topic. Surprisingly I saw how my rating went up.

#247 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5250

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:23 PM

I don't know if anyone noticed yet, but Mike did tweak the stylesheet to shrink the left column and expand the post area. It wasn't a huge change, I think only like 35 pixels or something, but looks like some more tweaking is in order.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#248 leiavoia   Members   -  Reputation: 960

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

I don't know if anyone noticed yet, but Mike did tweak the stylesheet to shrink the left column and expand the post area. It wasn't a huge change, I think only like 35 pixels or something, but looks like some more tweaking is in order.

I did notice some jiggering of the right column on the main forum list page. It's a step in the right direction.

#249 Khawk   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 1362

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:48 PM

I did notice some jiggering of the right column on the main forum list page. It's a step in the right direction.

I reordered that a little bit ago. There's a number of other subtle but needed tweaks. Another example is that the badges are now quarter the size they were before, the RSS feed menu at the top right of every page (click the RSS button) is no longer bright orange, and some of the padding is a little better in random places.

And if you see strange font sizes, it's because I'm testing out fonts.

#250 DenzelM   Members   -  Reputation: 295

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

A lot of people have probably already said what I am about to say. First of all, on the positive side, I like a lot of the new toys on GDNet! Just to name a few: avatars, file attachments, blogs, profiles, new rating system, etc. That's all very great and I don't want to detract from that. There are only so many ways to say something is great, so now I turn over to the problems I have.

My problems are largely superficial I will admit, but with this new layout everything seems organized and disorganized at the same time and it is annoying me. I may get used to it but right now I agree that the "Recent Posts" should be further up. Furthermore, when reading threads I can usually only see one post in my browser window while on the old GDNet I could see on average 2-4 posts in one window.

All in all it feels as though everything is so spaced out and organized in a disorganized fashion as I said above. To give an example, on the old GDNet forum I could get a lot of information by glancing at one spot and it made my reading more efficient. I could look at the top left corner of a post and get a person's avatar, their name, when it was posted, and the beginning sentence of their post. Things were much more concentrated on the old forum I feel.

Once again, I don't want to detract from all the positive things that were done. I will probably get used to it, so thanks GDNet!
Denzel Morris (@drdizzy) :: Software Engineer :: SkyTech Enterprises, Inc.
"When men are most sure and arrogant they are commonly most mistaken, giving views to passion without that proper deliberation which alone can secure them from the grossest absurdities." - David Hume

#251 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2177

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:23 AM

Maybe I overreacted a bit, but I still fell that gamedev now is just another forum with no personality.

Some suggestions:
  • Maybe it's just me, but the font in the "reply editor" is smaller, that the font in the forums. Only one font size please! I'll get blind this way.
  • I don't know why is changing nicks is a good feature. It destroys the personal feel, people can post whatever they want with whatever nicks. Okay, I can report it, or check the profile, but hell, I like to see who I'm talking with.
  • Bring the old rating back. Everything is said already about this
  • Put the relevant info into one line at the posts' "titlebar".
  • Vertical space again. There should be 1 blank lines between the posts, like the old one. the titlebars are higher than should i think. The post rating widgets takes up vertical space too. Maybe it's just me, but I think the space between the lines could be smaller.
  • where are nested quotes?
  • Quote boxes are too big

#252 davepermen   Members   -  Reputation: 1017

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:30 AM

Maybe I overreacted a bit, but I still fell that gamedev now is just another forum with no personality.

which it was before. the personality comes from us, the users. not from the forum, the page, the layout, anything.

I don't know why is changing nicks is a good feature. It destroys the personal feel, people can post whatever they want with whatever nicks. Okay, I can report it, or check the profile, but hell, I like to see who I'm talking with.

because people might not be LeetH4ck0r 10 years after they registered it? maybe some people grew up?

Bring the old rating back. Everything is said already about this

yes, enough ranting, hating and posting how bad it was during the years..

rest i can't comment on. i think it's okay, needs some getting used to.
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

#253 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2177

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:41 AM

which it was before. the personality comes from us, the users. not from the forum, the page, the layout, anything.

because people might not be LeetH4ck0r 10 years after they registered it? maybe some people grew up?

yes, enough ranting, hating and posting how bad it was during the years..

rest i can't comment on. i think it's okay, needs some getting used to.

I know the personality comes from us, but I'm talking about the site. Now it looks like any other forums, but okay, it's just my opinion. I never liked forums so much because of their layout. Maybe I'll get used to this one.

You could change nicks before too (by asking a stuff member). But not so easily from post to post. So if you grew up, you could change the nick anyway.

#254 valderman   Members   -  Reputation: 512

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:45 AM

I'm with the "no thanks GameDevBook" crowd; for all its faults, the old rating system was better than the new one (bring back downrating or kill off ratings/reputation entirely I say,) and all this social networking cruft is both annoying and a little confusing (though I guess it'll get less confusing with time.)

Quote notifications are a nice feature though. More focus on the forums, less on MyGameBookTweetSpace.

EDIT: is it just me, or is MyGameBookTweetSpace a tad slow at the moment?

#255 davepermen   Members   -  Reputation: 1017

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:54 AM

I enjoy the social networking stuff. Allows people that are not members to contribute without allowing anonymous. That's a huge plus. The rest is a why not for me. because, really, why not? There's no harm in having social features (i know how associal some of you might be, just don't use that part, then).

and the new rating system works very well, i know it from some other forii. your statement "the old works better than the new one" makes NO sense. the old one was critisized for years, the new one is two days old (here), and works without critisizm in other communities since years.

you just have problems to cope with change.
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

#256 kilah   Members   -  Reputation: 499

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:35 AM

Look and Feel is something weneed to get used to it, plus I am not a designer thus I won’t comment on it.But some usability issues arise from my point of view. Main two are the oneswho got most critics: "Recent Threads situation" is a concern, as itdoes not help users to fast scout on forums, yet it GameDevdevelopers know more than anyone else how their website traffic flows I givethem a vote of confidence on this. IOTD is not an usability issue as thatfeature seems to be gone (or if it hasn't, it has been burrowed somewhere).

This was sent as feedback, butposting it here if anyone else wants to discuss/improve it:

All these are mainly usabilityissues that I've come into, please take into account that this is a firstglance on my thoughts, not a in deep analysis. Consider my setup as fullscreen navigation using google Chrome on a resolution of 1680x1050 under XP.

Old website main ordered focuswere: Latest articles/columns, Recent Threads(only forassiduous customers as it may be confused with side advertising), front Advertisings/Spotlight(Green isn't enough to draw full attention over advertising with that colorset), News and side advertisings. Reason News are taken into account as afocus , even if they were barely seen (with my setup), is the colorhightlight they suffered on daily basis (longest darker blue bar color withinthe main page, aside from GameDev title banner). Upcoming events and navigationmenus are within the range yet, they barely get any attention. Reason forUpcoming events to not be relevant is that user first glance tends to be rightside, due to spotlight green highlight ( this does not mean user is watching highlightedplace, this mean user notes it and so does his eye movement), In fact spotlightis so similar to front advertising that you consider both equal.

New Website main ordered focusare: Latest articles/columns-Front Advertising, FeaturedJournal/Spotlight/Careers, Events this week/Latest news. Once again Spotlightcolor scheme is not enough to draw attention. And global color scheme on titlesdoesn't offer the high contrast needed to draw user attention to a singleplace. Events this week draw too much attention, even if there might not be asingle event that current week, which seems to a issue to think about. Latestnews is not highlighted enough, so it seems to me that user will skip thatcontent. Most relevant issue here is by far Latest articles/columns-FrontAdvertising may be considered both as one. As their Look and Feel is toosimilar unfortunately. In fact the first time I saw the new layout I had toseek where Articles were at.

In order to reach RecentThreads I need to scroll down, Pass Featured Book, Recent Articles (again), andRecent Threads.

My main suggestions:

1) Careers is not somethingI've personally ever wonder about on GameDev, if I want to seek a job I wouldgo to gamasutra way before coming here, personal taste. This is a place thatshould move down the main page, not one of the 3 main spots. This is suggestion depend on GameDev strategy.

2) Swap advertising withcareers and swap careers with Recent Threads. This would have two interestingbenefits: Article focus regained and Recent Threads accessibility/focus.

3) Latest news must be highlightedsomeway (Darker blue, longer bar, anything).

4) Most calendar days arewasted, I would give a rethought.

Hopefully this helps,

Cheers.

#257 phantom   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7429

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:59 AM

and the new rating system works very well, i know it from some other forii. your statement "the old works better than the new one" makes NO sense. the old one was critisized for years, the new one is two days old (here), and works without critisizm in other communities since years.

The old rating might well have had it's complaints but you know what it did well? It made people accountable for how they acted over the site and gave the community the ability to show they disgreed with the way someone was conducting themselves. As soon as it was introduced the torrent of shit posts which had been becoming a problem over the forums dropped to a trickle as the effect kicked in.

The biggest problem I have with the current system is that there is no negative feedback ability to either a) make people correct their attitude or B) flag posts as being 'bad'. Granted, the latter feature wasn't present in the old system but as we are changing system it really is needed here.

Maybe it's not need on other sites, but frankly the other sites I've been to which use a rep system were basically opinion driven sites (so, gamer forums for the most part) with no requirement for technical correctness; on the flipside we have a forum which in large sections pretty much REQUIRES technical correctness and the inability to flag posts in such a manner reduces the usefulness.

In short; the new rating system is all well and good for flagging 'good' things but is lacking in the ability to make community driven corrective measures as well, which is a major oversight on a site like this.

#258 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:30 AM

The old rating might well have had it's complaints but you know what it did well? It made people accountable for how they acted over the site and gave the community the ability to show they disgreed with the way someone was conducting themselves. As soon as it was introduced the torrent of shit posts which had been becoming a problem over the forums dropped to a trickle as the effect kicked in.

The largest problem with the old system is that people were using the ratings as a disagree button, as an indicator of helpfulness/technical knowledge, and as an attitude meter. Having three very loosely related things tied to a single number makes it impossible to know why someone has a low rating. If people were in some way held accountable for why they rated someone down then the rating system would be better.

I do agree that there should be ways to rate down posts at least for technical questions (bad advice can be worse than no advice at all), but I don't think it should have a lasting negative affect on the person's profile. Bad posters will end up having low scores and good posters will have very high scores. I don't see why we need to add more negativity

edit: MAN I LOVE THE BLACK THEME.

#259 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2177

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:55 AM

Simply don't allow to rate in the lounge and on the profile. If someone is so desperate to rate down somebody to look up his/her posting history, then let him/her do it...
Or, (if the moderators are bored and have tons of time which I believe they have :P), downrating should have a reason, or a pointer to the thread that was the reason of downrating. Okay, lame idea...

#260 davepermen   Members   -  Reputation: 1017

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

Maybe it's not need on other sites, but frankly the other sites I've been to which use a rep system were basically opinion driven sites (so, gamer forums for the most part) with no requirement for technical correctness; on the flipside we have a forum which in large sections pretty much REQUIRES technical correctness and the inability to flag posts in such a manner reduces the usefulness.

In short; the new rating system is all well and good for flagging 'good' things but is lacking in the ability to make community driven corrective measures as well, which is a major oversight on a site like this.

i'm on a lot of technical other forums, where accuracy and correctness is needed. the only-plus rating system works very well.

and you can flag posts that are incorrect or inpolite. just report them. which i do on the other forums, too.

as said, it's a CHANGE. you can not YET say if it's for the better or the worse. but you could at least try it first, instead of going into attackmode. without trying it out for a while, we can't KNOW if it works, or not.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS