• Create Account

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
487 replies to this topic

#281 Mike.Popoloski   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2901

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

Also apparently there are quotas to how many upvotes you can do in a day, since I just ran into mine. I didn't even vote that many posts. What the heck is up with that?
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

Sponsor:

#282 daveodonoghue   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 114

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

It feels more cluttered than the old system.

Would like less information being available by default. Post headings are enough for me, if the poster don't make good headings then bugger em.

#283 leiavoia   Members   -  Reputation: 960

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

The largest problem with the old system is that people were using the ratings as a disagree button, as an indicator of helpfulness/technical knowledge, and as an attitude meter. Having three very loosely related things tied to a single number makes it impossible to know why someone has a low rating. If people were in some way held accountable for why they rated someone down then the rating system would be better.

I never used it like that. I only rated people down who were being legitimate buttheads.

#284 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5045

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:04 AM

Also apparently there are quotas to how many upvotes you can do in a day, since I just ran into mine. I didn't even vote that many posts. What the heck is up with that?

Have not been able to dig up this setting in the ACP at all. How many votes did it say you did? Or if it didn't tell you how many would you say you've done (best guess if you can't be precise)

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#285 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2121

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

The way I saw it (okay, I'm not an old member) the people were rated more because of their style, not the actual content (I'm talking about rating in the lounge). Ant that is an important thing IMHO. Posts on gamedev always seemed so professional. The kthxby shit only comes from newbies and disappears quickly. So as poorly formatted posts and trolling.

The only time I was rated down was because of my style, not my opinion. I had crazy/stupid opinions, but I wasn't rated down. I was a harsh prick, I got rated down. Trolling gets rated down most of the times. Okay, I'm not one of the old guys, but I always experienced that.

I only rated down people if they deserved it: being an idiot troll (no matter of their opinions: shit, mine changes all the time!).
Or being lazy helpless "give me code" "I have no idea to solve it" type people, and only if they don't change (there are some helpless guys who flood the forums will tons of trivial questions. I rate them down, they are not helping others just asking for help from others)

And yes, I want my 1428 back, it looks damn good.

#286 Josh Petrie   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3113

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:12 AM

Have not been able to dig up this setting in the ACP at all. How many votes did it say you did? Or if it didn't tell you how many would you say you've done (best guess if you can't be precise)

10 I think he mentioned on IRC.

Josh Petrie | Core Tools Engineer, 343i | Microsoft C++ MVP

#287 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5045

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:19 AM

Another question. Are the contests gone?

Just realized this was never answered I don't think. Like many things, they are gone for a while but will come back as we continue to work on the site. It's also more a question of having someone to take charge of them more than it is infrastructure,

Overall I like the new layout. However, I think the forum posts would look much better without the dark lines between them. Please see the following image to see what I mean:

Posted Image

I just went back to the old site for a look and the post seperator bar is almost twice the size there than it is here, so it's already an improvement. We need demarcation between posts. Running them all together isn't going to make things easier to read.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#288 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2121

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

I ask again, maybe I'm wrong, but is the line-spacing bigger than the old one? Something between 1 and 1.5 (units in Office Word).

#289 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5045

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:31 AM

text spacing.png
New forums on the left, old on the right. IMO the difference is there but negligible

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#290 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2121

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:51 AM

text spacing.png
left:old, right new.

Maybe it's just details, but the new is approximately 10/9 times more spacey. And that does count I think.

EDIT: Sorry, i wanted to edit the post, not to post a new one.

#291 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5045

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:15 AM

...approximately 10/9 times...

No idea what this means, but I still don't see any appreciable difference

Don't forget that failing to convince me doesn't mean I won't be outvoted by the rest of the staff, but IMO this text-spacing thing is not an issue worth any attention

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#292 MaulingMonkey   Members   -  Reputation: 1556

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:53 AM

No idea what this means, but I still don't see any appreciable difference

10% increase in the size per line. Left side seems to contain 11 newlines compared to the right's 10 in the same space, despite using fonts of apparently identical height (although differing wideness). Wouldn't hurt to bump it down a bit... you've currently got:

ipb_styles.css:2678
.post_body {
    margin-left: 235px;
    line-height: 100%;
}

.post_block.no_sidebar .post_body {
        margin-left: 0px;
    }

.post_body .post {
        margin-top: 3px;
        padding: 10px;
        line-height: 150%; /* <--- chrome says this is being matched, and it looks bloody ugly */
    }

The intertubes tells me browsers default to 110-120%, and I wouldn't mind it as low as 100% with this font. A preview (current 150% vs 100%):
Posted Image

#293 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2121

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:04 AM

Plus the current font looks smaller than the old, despite the same height (9 px in the image I posted). I seem to be finical and old-is-perfect/new-is-sux, but it does count to me. I don't see too well, so I have to increase the size of the new font to make it as readable as the old one. So even bigger vertical space...

Don't do anything about it, if I'm the only one with this of course.

Edit: left click on an image should open in in a new tab IMHO.

#294 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2307

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:06 AM

text spacing.png
left:old, right new.

Maybe it's just details, but the new is approximately 10/9 times more spacey. And that does count I think.

EDIT: Sorry, i wanted to edit the post, not to post a new one.

Trying to do a more apples to apples comparison here. First, a post on the old site vs. the same text using the default font on the new site:

compare.jpg

Next, a post on the old site vs. the same text and Verdana on the new site:

compare1.jpg

#295 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5045

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:22 AM

Trying to do a more apples to apples comparison here...

I just tried what you did myself but opened the old post version in a separate window and then sized it down to match the horizontal space we have for posts on this forum and then I finally noticed a difference. Again, small but at least this time I could see it instead of thinking I was imagining it.

The intertubes tells me browsers default to 110-120%, and I wouldn't mind it as low as 100% with this font.

I suppose I would be willing to try out 125% and see what people think. The 100% is definitely too close together. People who complain about the white site burning their eyes out late at night are going to have the same problem focusing tired and bleary eyes on closely-spaced text even if it's on a darker background.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#296 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2307

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:29 AM

Since you're comparing multiple lines, did you size the width of the old forum post to match the fixed-width of the new forum post?

No, since that wouldn't affect the vertical line spacing. I just adjusted it so that the total number of lines per paragraph was the same.

#297 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5045

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:32 AM

rats didn't finish editing my last post fast enough. If you compare with the same widths, you'll see that the old version does fit in the same amount of text in a noticeably lesser amount of vertical space.

spacing.png
This is the old post sized the same width and then matched from the top of the text

In other words, I stand corrected

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#298 MaulingMonkey   Members   -  Reputation: 1556

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:46 AM

Trying to do a more apples to apples comparison here.

Hmm. Is your zoom on both sites at 100%?
Posted Image
Even with more newlines on the old left theme (whoops, overcompensated), it's shorter by a good bit at 100% zoom with chrome.

#299 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2121

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:49 AM

Okay, I'm lame, but how can I change the displayed fonts with my browser?

#300 MaulingMonkey   Members   -  Reputation: 1556

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:01 AM

Okay, I'm lame, but how can I change the displayed fonts with my browser?

Depends on the browser. I'm using chrome's built in developer tools to temporarily change mine for experimentation. There are plugins (and sometimes browser support) for "user/custom stylesheets" or greasemonkey scripts which can be used to make more permanent changes on your own end if it's not going to be fixed site-side.

EDIT: Old vs New links for people wanting to do their own comparisons/fiddlings, since I have them handy.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS