• Create Account

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
487 replies to this topic

#361 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2149

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

Yes, sorry, I missed that.

Muhahahaha, you can't rate me down for that!!!!11

Sponsor:

#362 Starnick   Members   -  Reputation: 1214

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

One thing I've started to discover about the new site is how well it aids the stalker in you.

I can seeeeee you. Heh

#363 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5188

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

In your "user settings / forums", you can change the values of "posts/topics" per page.

I have to remember that you can send people straight to these locations with the generic URL that doesn't care what member ID your are or anything. I like this ability.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#364 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9604

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

Spoofing the HTC's user agent in Firefox, 12.45 kB for the home page (that's only the HTML of course).
For some reason the software isn't detecting the use of my old iPhone 3G and loads the normal view. :(

You may want to try the IPS iPhone app. I don't use an iPhone myself so I don't know how it works, but it could help.

#365 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5188

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

It would be extremely difficult to modify the multi-quote behavior...

Figured I might as well spell out what would need to be done here - when you reply to comments in journal posts (for example) you can hit the "Reply" link for multiple comments and it loads the quotes all up in your Reply Box at the bottom. So yes, perhaps we can combine the "Reply" and "MultiQuote" buttons on the forum into one. We remove the "MultiQuote" and change "Reply" to "Quote" and when you select "Quote" it loads the quote into the Fast Reply box rather than jumping to a Full Editor page. You should be able to load up multiple quotes into the Fast Reply box across pages. If you click "Add Reply" or "Use Full Editor" the Full Editor opens with all the quotes you have already selected.

Again I'm pretty sure, however, that this is a change we would have to request be made in the IP.Board software itself rather than something we can do.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#366 Puyover   Members   -  Reputation: 188

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

I love it. It looks like more web 2.0 style

#367 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30424

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

I just realised that old threads with HTML were brought across verbatim. That's awesome for not breaking anything in existing content.

#368 MaulingMonkey   Members   -  Reputation: 1556

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

So to be clear, taking time time to tell a user they're being offensive has no effect, but an anonymous down-rating does, when they can't even see what thread it was attached to? That says more about the community than the need for a rating system.

Regardless of what it says about the community, offensive users quite often realize they're being offensive. Individual posters pointing out even the obvious are easily ignored as "hypersensitive" or in need of thicker skin. Sometimes, they even have a point! But ratings shifted that from the easily dismissed individual to a summary of the community as a whole that happened to noticed their presence.

If you want a system where people simply ask questions, and answers given can be voted up/down by the community, that's called Stack Exchange. GD is more about discussion, not right/wrong answers, and should not try to encroach on SE... all these sites work best with big communities so let GD be the titan of discussions and SE the titan of community-voted question answering.

If you're saying we shouldn't sort thread discussions by post rating then great, I'm with you. "Stack Exchange does it therefore don't do it!" isn't a terribly convincing argument though. A lot of the discussions in the technical forum would do just fine on stack overflow -- that we take a more general and discussion oriented focus is no reason to avoid improving our tools, even if those tools aren't terribly useful in each and every single thread. On top of that, we're already getting half the toolset in rating posts up.

But **** it, seems clear we're trying it anyways, and I'm not pointing out anything that hasn't been already pointed out ad nauseam in detail.

EDIT: An obscenity rewriter? Really? No, no, this won't do -- even staring it out is better than 'fark'.

#369 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

It would be extremely difficult to modify the multi-quote behavior...

Figured I might as well spell out what would need to be done here - when you reply to comments in journal posts (for example) you can hit the "Reply" link for multiple comments and it loads the quotes all up in your Reply Box at the bottom. So yes, perhaps we can combine the "Reply" and "MultiQuote" buttons on the forum into one. We remove the "MultiQuote" and change "Reply" to "Quote" and when you select "Quote" it loads the quote into the Fast Reply box rather than jumping to a Full Editor page. You should be able to load up multiple quotes into the Fast Reply box across pages. If you click "Add Reply" or "Use Full Editor" the Full Editor opens with all the quotes you have already selected.

Again I'm pretty sure, however, that this is a change we would have to request be made in the IP.Board software itself rather than something we can do.

I was thinking more along the lines of making the reply button do exactly what the reply button on the top or bottom does, but in individual posts it would also tag the given posts multi-quote toggle to on so it auto-replies to that.

But that, like was said before, is probably better served as a feature request to IPS than to mess with here lest upgradability be an issue in the future.

#370 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5188

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

Hey everyone, check out the status feeds:

Gaiiden
Dave Astle (myopic rhino)
Kevin Hawkins (khawk)
Mike Tanczos

We'll be using them to update changes we are making to the website. Many are small but some are things you won't know unless you're told so I would suggest checking here often for the latest. Mike, you'll want to see what Dave tweaked just recently.

I'll add more staff when they have updates too.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#371 Mike.Popoloski   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2912

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

Good to see. What was it set at before? Also, is this supposed to reset every day? It didn't seem like it was doing that for me.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

#372 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2307

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

Good to see. What was it set at before? Also, is this supposed to reset every day? It didn't seem like it was doing that for me.

It was set at 5 per day, which was just ridiculous, and it was kind of buried in the settings. It's set high enough now that hitting the limit should be unlikely, so if you encounter it, let me know.

#373 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 21475

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:39 AM

As posted MUCH earlier in this thread and others, I've been working on my own theme for the site.

The version I'm actually using is a bit longer. I don't want the "feedback" button and eliminated the 120 pixel logo on top, but I kept them enabled in the style sheet I'm giving out.

I've posted it on the blog for review and feedback.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#374 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:24 AM

woops wrong person.

#375 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5188

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:58 AM

Hey Frob can you clue me in how to use your style sheet with Firefox? I'd like to see how these changes you're making actually look. Or post pictures. Thanks.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#376 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 21475

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

Hey Frob can you clue me in how to use your style sheet with Firefox? I'd like to see how these changes you're making actually look. Or post pictures. Thanks.

Good point. I'm using Stylish (http://userstyles.org) to just post the raw CSS. There are several extensions to web browsers that let you apply CSS directly to a site.

I'll just post screen shots for now since I don't have instructions:

Posted Image

... and ...
Posted Image

The next item on my hit list is to hide the "group / posts / joined" lines and shrink the image. I'm trying to reclaim vertical space and those are painful on short posts.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#377 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2994

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hey frob, I was thinking the same about the user stats.
This is what I came up with stylish. The stats are visible when you hover over the user area.
What do you think?

hover.png

#378 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5188

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

You know, all that information is available in the pop-up bubble you get when you click on the eeetsy-bitsy button next to a person's display name. I say we just make that more prominent or have that be the function when clicking on a user's avatar/name because from their you can do pretty much everything you see in the post area.

If anyone jumps in and says "but dude that's one more click I have to do..." I'm gunna ninja your head off :P

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#379 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

If anyone jumps in and says "but dude that's one more click I have to do..." I'm gunna ninja your head off :P

I really don't want to be that guy, but if the code above you can do it on hover and doesn't have the pretty bad loading penalty the itsy bitsy button does it seems like that would be better.

Do we know if it's possible to put that information in the bar with the names in it? There seems to be plenty of room there for all sorts of relevant info.

#380 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5188

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

perhaps a combo - basic info on hover and a click brings up the more expansive dialog.

new post.png

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS