• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
487 replies to this topic

#381 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

When you PM people you have a nice dialogue, but when you send it it pops up an ugly default windows alert saying that it was sent. I'd imagine the user should already assume it was sent when the normal pretty dialogue goes away, and the default windows alert is ugly.

PMAlert.png

Sponsor:

#382 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22787

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

I think I'll just hide them. It is easier than handling hovering, which can have quirky issues when items move from under the mouse. It also allows me to cut the size down even more from the current 130px width, since content is king.

I've got about 2500 lines of the site's CSS to go through before I'm done with my own size reductions, so I'll probably post an update over the weekend.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#383 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3137

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

You know, all that information is available in the pop-up bubble you get when you click on the eeetsy-bitsy button next to a person's display name. I say we just make that more prominent or have that be the function when clicking on a user's avatar/name because from their you can do pretty much everything you see in the post area.

If anyone jumps in and says "but dude that's one more click I have to do..." I'm gunna ninja your head off :P

Ah that's what that "whatever it is" is for :D
okay, fair game. Maybe make the clickable img a little bigger and get rid of the redundant user info.
Personally I don't care so much about the time the ajax request takes.

But I vote for putting the username directly on top of the avatar pic and displaying reputation.:P

#384 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1217

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

Ah that's what that "whatever it is" is for :D
okay, fair game. Maybe make the clickable img a little bigger and get rid of the redundant user info.
Personally I don't care so much about the time the ajax request takes.

But I vote for putting the username directly on top of the avatar pic and displaying reputation.:P

Agreed. Reputation, although linked only to a user, does provide a quick check against whether the user is LIKELY to be providing useful content or just trolling. I understand that moving toward a content rated system is better for finding relevant information and answers, but reputation is far more useful for effectively dealing with troublemakers (ie, some users will identify the low rep and ignore a troll instead of biting on their troll-bait). It also provides a way of garnering trust in content that has not yet been rated up.

#385 leiavoia   Members   -  Reputation: 960

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

I'm not complaining, but i wanted to mention that i just caught myself glancing at the bottom corner of the post I was reading looking for a number. I found nothing there and got very disoriented :blink:

#386 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5277

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:55 AM

Pinning this up now that it's becoming slightly less active to make sure people see it and don't create their own threads.

Also modified topic description to help with this as well

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#387 arcadestuff   Members   -  Reputation: 141

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:05 AM

I'm not a massive poster on the forums as my post count will show but I am a regular visitor and I thought I would break the habit and post my thoughts. I may duplicate some things that others have said but I haven't had chance to read through all of the other pages of this thread.

Just for reference areas of the site that I view the most are -

Most Recent Posts
IOTD
Dailies and Latest developer news
Articles

I'm currently using the black theme which I much prefer. I do like the style generally. My main problem is that everything seems a lot bigger and more spaced out. I appreciate that this is an alpha theme though. It feels like the panels on the main page should be able to be dragged and dropped into position in the same way that I can do on igoogle for instance. This functionality would help with some of my other dislikes.

I'm a bit puzzled about the fixed width layout of the page. People usually use a fixed width layout to avoid the problems of resizing the browser window, the drawback is that you obviously lose the space at the edges. With the current setup the site has all of the disadvantages with none of the benefits. Space is still lost at the sides when the browser window is maximized and the content is mangled when the window is shrunk.

Most recent posts - Please move this back to the top. A lot of people have mentioned this so enough said

Dailies and Latest Developer news - I much preferred it when there were separators between each days news. It was a lot easier to read. Each item also had it's own heading, a nice icon and was generally easier to scan through. The current version just looks like someone has cut and pasted a text file to the front page, well maybe not that bad.

Latest Articles - I much prefer this to the old version. It uses the same amount of space but shows a lot easier what each article is about.

I can't seem to find the 'active topics' page. I'm assuming it no longer exists as it doesn't even work on the archived old-format site. For me this is a big loss.

Changing display name - Great feature, especially as I spelt my user name wrong when I registered and was unable to change it so a win for me :)

Fast Reply - I like this, allows me to keep the most recent posts visible while replying.

Careers - This is not so important for me. Even if I was actively looking for a job I wouldn't need it to at the top of the page. I can understand though if this is a source of advertising revenue and you want it to be prominent.

Just a few thoughts until I have time to explore the site more.

#388 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

I'm currently using the black theme which I much prefer. I do like the style generally. My main problem is that everything seems a lot bigger and more spaced out. I appreciate that this is an alpha theme though. It feels like the panels on the main page should be able to be dragged and dropped into position in the same way that I can do on igoogle for instance. This functionality would help with some of my other dislikes.

I think since the main theme was still kind of in beta, once it has been finalized the black theme can be remade using it's CSS so it's really just a black version of the white's CSS. When they first switched, the black theme was just about the same, but it seems kind of like the white one has passed it. Probably related to one guy working on the black theme and all the staff working on the white one.

#389 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5277

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

Dailies and Latest Developer news - I much preferred it when there were separators between each days news. It was a lot easier to read. Each item also had it's own heading, a nice icon and was generally easier to scan through. The current version just looks like someone has cut and pasted a text file to the front page, well maybe not that bad.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback here.

Please give my latest journal post a thorough read if you haven't by now, that will help with a lot of issues, like the Most Recent posts.

The one thing I don't cover in my post is the news suggestion you mention. That's definitely going to happen - wholly agreed there.

I think since the main theme was still kind of in beta, once it has been finalized the black theme can be remade using it's CSS so it's really just a black version of the white's CSS. When they first switched, the black theme was just about the same, but it seems kind of like the white one has passed it. Probably related to one guy working on the black theme and all the staff working on the white one.

Pretty much. Also, IPS theme development is a relatively open process so it will be easy for any member to skin this website although we're going to allow custom skins for GDNet+ only with a few select skins (like the black skin) for general members.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#390 Lode   Members   -  Reputation: 982

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:10 PM

Will it become possible for me to edit/remove the content I added with the "Manage Webspace" feature of the previous gamedev? The feature is gone. Thanks.

#391 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5277

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

Will it become possible for me to edit/remove the content I added with the "Manage Webspace" feature of the previous gamedev? The feature is gone. Thanks.

We don't know yet whether we'll be bringing back web hosting, but we are planning to get up files we hosted on the old site at least temporarily for GDNet+ members to retrieve anything they want to hang on to.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#392 Nanoha   Members   -  Reputation: 300

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

The only thing that's bothering me at the moment is that the "Recent Threads"-box is so far down the frontpage. For me, it is one of the most important elements of the site. I really liked being able to see the latest discussions at a glance.

I agree, most important thing for me is the recent threads section of the main page.

#393 Dmytry   Members   -  Reputation: 1148

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

I hope it stays that posts can only be rated up. The way old rating system worked, it strongly encouraged posting in agreement with public opinion; with even well regarded individuals over time giving in to temptation to gain reputation increase by making extremely negative yet popular remarks (along the lines of bashing free software, any new technologies or development methodologies, and the like).

in other news I dropped by to see if there's any interesting political discussion here [just to read which opinion would be popular on relatively unbiased forums], I guess not, so gonna leave. In yet another news, I released my game on Steam, which makes me an actual game developer earning a living developing games. (previously I did 3D graphics for movies)
My game The Polynomial is now available on Steam. | The Polynomial homepage | Cloud and terrain rendering |Everything i said in that post is obviously ABSOLUTE TRUTH my unhumble opinion.

#394 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5277

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

I'll run the risk of getting off topic and just say that video of the game is trippy as hell. Looks awesome congrats.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#395 Trillian   Members   -  Reputation: 410

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

I like the feel of it but I'll add my vote to reduce the height of most elements. Too much scrolling needed.

#396 leiavoia   Members   -  Reputation: 960

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

In yet another news, I released my game on Steam, which makes me an actual game developer earning a living developing games. (previously I did 3D graphics for movies)

[Also off topic] Hey, i thought we lost ya! Your work is always fun to look through. I'm glad you're "pro" now!

#397 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3694

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

Oh great. I'm not too happy about the new site layout but I guess it'll stay.

Vertical white space still needs to be reduced. It got better already, but I think it's possible to reduce more.
What's with all that Web 2.0 crap? Facebook, Twitter, etc. That feels kinda unprofessional. It feels like "we added everything which wasn't on a tree in three seconds".

What I notice is that every full page change my profile options menu is open albeit my mouse being nowhere near.

I'd prefer the top menu to auto-popup on hovering over it to avoid that one necessary click.

Also I'd like to have mouse over hottips on the forum icons. I have no idea what some of them mean (yellow vs. blue folders).

Wouldn't it be possible to put some of the profile info on the top line of someones post like in the old Gamedev? This could reduce a bit of the profile info's height on the left side.

Kudos for getting rid of that damn slowing flash ad on the reply page. I hated that it slowed typing every few seconds.

All in all it's probably ok for me :)
Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

#398 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1217

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:52 AM

What I notice is that every full page change my profile options menu is open albeit my mouse being nowhere near.

I get the same from time to time, and I believe this is due to the JavaScript not downloading for some reason (or failing to clean up all those visuals due to the page being broken during download). This happens when the network I am on is being hammered by clients. Because of this I also have had trouble replying (as the JS doesn't see that I've clicked on the reply box).

F5 a few times tends to iron this out more often than not.

#399 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3694

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:31 AM

It happens every single time for me, using IE8. IE doesn't show any javascript error though. Might be something else?
Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

#400 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5277

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:23 AM

Known issue

I'd prefer the top menu to auto-popup on hovering over it to avoid that one necessary click.

We used to have that during internal testing, but there's a really bad defect with it in some IE browsers and we can't re-activate it until IPS fixes it

Also I'd like to have mouse over hottips on the forum icons. I have no idea what some of them mean (yellow vs. blue folders).

These will eventually be changing - they are just the IP.Board defaults. Either way though there's always a key at the bottom of the page. Once you know, you know.

Wouldn't it be possible to put some of the profile info on the top line of someones post like in the old Gamedev? This could reduce a bit of the profile info's height on the left side.

It should be possible, yes. We're still experimenting with layouts and will be for the next few weeks.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS