• Create Account

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
487 replies to this topic

#41 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1972

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

Another question. Are the contests gone?
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

Sponsor:

#42 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1678

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

aww we can't choose an avatar picture other than the stock ones. I chose a kitty.

Anyway the site feels clean. Like a clean room. :blink: I like the smilies.I don't like the placement of the name. I feel like it should be over the avatar picture.

#43 Rraawwrr   Members   -  Reputation: 322

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

Uh... is there any way to undo a upvote on a post? Because I can't really find a method to do that.

Visit my website, rawrrawr.com

#44 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1728

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Looks slick, but I have a few remarks. There's too much spacing between the titles and text, the recent threads tab barely fits on my screen now while showing less threads than before, the height of most items need to be trimmed down. Screens are getting wider, not higher :P. Also I'd like to see the recent threads moved up more, at least above recent articles.

#45 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2102

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

I can't set an avatar, although i made a gallery. I can only set the pre-whatever avatars :(

#46 Switch0025   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

I like the new site, looks good. A couple of things though:

1) Is Image of The Day gone? That was my favorite feature of the old GD net. Particularly I liked how it was on the front page; made it easy to get to.
2) In the "Recent threads" list on the front page, all of the "N Reply" links (where N is some number), link to "http://www.gamedev.net/#".

#47 JSoftware   Members   -  Reputation: 318

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

Looks good. It seems a lot more complex than the old one

#48 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1678

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

the height of most items need to be trimmed down.

Yeah this definitely. I'd prefer if I could see more forum posts. Right now the amount of whitespace caused by the left menu is a bit much.

#49 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

I do kind of wish there was a dark/blue theme like we used to have (if that is coming, then great :)). Visually, the site seems very... big. All this padding and spacing makes everything look far apart. Will definitely take some getting used to.

gasp! We can attach files! Ok, thats new!

probe

I still don't understand multiquote. It seems to function 100% the same as regular quote - at least for me on Internet Explorer 9.

you click it on all the things you want to reply to then hit reply on the bottom and it will add all of the quotes to your reply field. You have to hit post a reply at the top or bottom though. For some reason if you do it then hit the reply link attached to every post it seems not to work as expected.

#50 nullsquared   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

When I went to gamedev.net, my immediate reaction was that I must've mistyped the address and went to some spam site.

I suppose the new look is slick; but is it necessary? If there are technical reasons for the change, then great. But if it was merely for the interface, then gamedev.net just lost all of its great simplicity and ease of use. All of the AJAX and Javascript just isn't necessary, and feels sloppy.

#51 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5164

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

aww we can't choose an avatar picture other than the stock ones. I chose a kitty.

Anyway the site feels clean. Like a clean room. :blink: I like the smilies.I don't like the placement of the name. I feel like it should be over the avatar picture.

GDNet+ has the ability to upload avatars still.. though I think Gravatar works for all.

#52 eedok   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 971

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

I kind of miss the info bar than the posts having the full width of the page over having info on a side bar pushing posts over and requiring horizontal scrolling for code posts.

Never have been a fan of post counts being beside every post, it's insignificant information that too many people attach value to wrongly, which can lead to spammy users and without being able to rate them down, there's no user recourse, and we have to wait for mods, and who wants to do that :P.

I'm gonna miss rating down though, it's gonna be like digg after they removed bury, but fortunately for gamedev there's no reddit that has a proper downvote to take over the traffic

#53 stupid_programmer   Members   -  Reputation: 1054

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

I third a return of the classic black theme. All this white is like running sandpaper across my eyes. I like that you finally got rid of HTML tags. Overall I really dig the new site.

#54 Dave   Members   -  Reputation: 1495

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

I like it alot.

Can someone give us a breakdown of the ratings categories? I have 756 that is 'Excellent' and stupid_programmer has 75 and is also 'Excellent', for example. Maybe it's a bug?

#55 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17976

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

1) Is Image of The Day gone? That was my favorite feature of the old GD net. Particularly I liked how it was on the front page; made it easy to get to.

No, not gone, just not on the front page. :( Already used the "Complaint Friendly Feedback" button to send my groans, moans, and death threats.
Click "Community->Gallery" and you'll find it right fine. (http://www.gamedev.net/gallery)

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                            [Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#56 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

Also, I added a description to my new thread. Is this the "tags" that v5 was supposed to have? Is there going to be some common/standard tags that people can use?
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#57 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17976

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

I can't set an avatar, although i made a gallery. I can only set the pre-whatever avatars :(

Upload an image to the gallery, click on the image viewing it in the gallery, then click (on the right hand panel)
"Set as Avatar" or "Set as profile photo"

http://img35.imagesh...66/avatargn.png

GDNet+ has the ability to upload avatars still.. though I think Gravatar works for all.

Even non-GDNet+ users can upload avatars (though it might just be a mistake).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know why I don't have a "PM this user" button under my avatar? Is it because benryves is so much handsomer than me? ([Edit:] Oh, duh, I can't PM myself, so it's not visible. Everyone else's is visible, since I can PM them. The same thing happens with the 'Mark as Friend' button. Would prefer the buttons are still there, just greyed out)

[Edit:] Wierd - when I post, the time of my post is when I first started typing my post, and not when I hit submit (even though I got distracted, and there is a 20 minute different between me starting to reply and me submitting the reply). This means, the second I hit reply, there are already 2 posts after mine. This also means, that since the two people who posted after me already read the thread, they may not realize that I posted, since my post appeared in the area they have already read (i.e. the posts before their posts), and not after their post.

Hmm, this brings Ninja-ing to a whole knew battlefront.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                            [Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#58 benryves   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1992

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

Will the forum favourites feature return? (Or have I just not found it?)

GameDev.net has a very large number of subforums, so I found it very useful to be able to select the ones I was interested in and collapse all of the others. I see that you can "watch" a forum but this doesn't provide much useful information and puts the links in a small box way down the page rather than up at the top.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

#59 farcodev   Members   -  Reputation: 160

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

Is it also possible to check to groups assignations, because i'm GDNet+ but it's not displayed besides the post (Group: Members).
---------------------------------
FAR Colony http://farcolony.blogspot.com/

#60 mutex   Members   -  Reputation: 1109

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

The new layout feels rather busy to me. Maybe remove some of the lines and tighten up spacing?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS