• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
487 replies to this topic

#61 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2173

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

Thanks Servant of the Lord!

Sponsor:

#62 stupid_programmer   Members   -  Reputation: 1179

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

I'm not sure if your name should be required in your profile options. I put a bogus name in for mine, but this isn't a professional site and the option for anonymity should still be there.

Is the left navbar going to come back? I'm lazy and the extra click of having to go through the top menu to get to the forums is one click to many for my tastes.

#63 ChurchSkiz   Members   -  Reputation: 455

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

Uh... is there any way to undo a upvote on a post? Because I can't really find a method to do that.

Yes, and also, I think it would be a good idea to be able to downvote posts as well. Not as pertinent in the lounge but on technical posts would be nice to see that someone's post has been marked as officially unhelpful.

#64 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

Love it!
I like the Walrus best.

#65 Scott Markwell   Members   -  Reputation: 402

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

The site is not terribly useful from a netbook device.

Suggested changes,
Get rid of the floating feedback button on the left
There is a giant white space below the Gamedev.net logo that i just taking up space (maybe it's ad inventory)
Consider redesigning the header area a little bit to consume a little less vertical space so you don't have to scroll to even see the first bit of content at all.
-Scott

#66 Kayzaks   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Get rid of the floating feedback button on the left

I think that's only there till the new Layout has "settled in"

#67 Captain P   Members   -  Reputation: 1092

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

Wooh, quite a lot has changed over the weekend! The readable urls for threads are a nice detail. Still kinda feels like a new site (as in, an entirely different community) to me though.

A couple of things about posting; how about putting the 'preview post' button above the editor? That's where the preview is shown (I frequently preview my posts - though it seems preview is now doing a little more behind the scenes than it used to?). Good to see that + signs now show up correctly bytheway. Oh, and perhaps give the code tag a button of it's own, so hopefully more new users will see it?

All in all, looks neat. Let's see where this goes. :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.

#68 DreamCycle   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

Epic. I login today and......... wooohooo new design.

Like it a lot btw. Nice change.

#69 AndrewBC   Members   -  Reputation: 280

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

Lol, I can't use anything but Arial as a font. Silly select field hops back to it post-haste.

I am confused and angry and am going to go hide under the bed for a couple of days until I realize that it's not going back to the way it was, whereupon I will begrudgingly accept it.

#70 Antheus   Members   -  Reputation: 2397

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

Default fonts seem to be rather large. Changing zoom down one notch (in FF) makes things much clearer.

Also +1 for forum favorites. And some subforums don't appear to be properly sorted. General Programming is between Math and Physics and OpenGL.

Everything seems to be loading quite fast, so all the shiny doesn't seem to affect much.

#71 Eleventy   Members   -  Reputation: 287

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

Overall I like the new layout. However, I think the forum posts would look much better without the dark lines between them. Please see the following image to see what I mean:

Posted Image

ChronoWall - ChronoWall is an all-in-one desktop wallpaper changer. View images by the time of day/season, overlay photo collages, and apply effects based on time.

#72 Aardvajk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6057

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

Posted Image

Site all very good and stuff, but blimey, that's gone up a bit. Posted Image

#73 Eleventy   Members   -  Reputation: 287

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

Also, the retired topics feature no longer works:

Link

ChronoWall - ChronoWall is an all-in-one desktop wallpaper changer. View images by the time of day/season, overlay photo collages, and apply effects based on time.

#74 __sprite   Members   -  Reputation: 461

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

Is the bottom of the G logo in the top left meant to be cut off like that?

logo.png

It would look so much nicer if the circle carried on below that line (and fill up some of the blank space).

#75 nullsquared   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:56 PM

After lurking around for a bit more, I have to say that there seems to be a lot of padding and extra lining where it doesn't play any useful role. It almost looks as if the threads and posts are contained in iframes because of the layout. For example, the side lining should be removed. And why is the width fixed? The way the old site scaled to any width was extremely nice.

#76 NumberXaero   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1489

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

"Recent Threads" on the main page needs to go back to the top right.

#77 Palidine   Members   -  Reputation: 1279

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:23 PM

The only thing that's bothering me at the moment is that the "Recent Threads"-box is so far down the frontpage. For me, it is one of the most important elements of the site. I really liked being able to see the latest discussions at a glance.

This. I spent about 100% of my time reloading gamedev while at work to see what's popping up in the recent threads window. If it's buried at the bottom of the page I can't do that. Or does it auto-update now?

-me

#78 Mike.Popoloski   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2919

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

I have to say that I'm unhappy with the new site. I liked the old one, and while it definitely needed improvement, I wouldn't call what we have now anything more than a step in the right direction.

1. De-emphasis of the forums - For some reason the forums feel even more hidden away than they were before. It takes an extra click to go through the drop-down menu now, and the recent topics menu has been moved all the way down the main page. So much emphasis is being placed on the Careers and Articles sections, even though GDNet does not excel in those areas. Looking at the Careers page is pretty pathetic, and the articles section hardly ever has real technical content. I thought the new site would focus more on the forums, which are GDNet's strongest feature.

2. Web 2.0 - I think it's easy to see that they went way overboard in this area. Every page feels cluttered with tons of junk that isn't even that useful. Why are there sharing buttons all over the place? Why is so much space wasted? What is the point of friend lists? Why are there status updates next to the forum listing? It's like all this stuff was added just because they could. GDNet is not Facebook, and it is not Twitter. I don't see why it should be trying to emulate them either.

3. Death of GDNet+ - I think you guys are really shooting yourselves in the foot here with this one. You've cheapened GDNet+ significantly by giving everyone journals and avatars, when instead you should have been trying to add as many new things to GDNet+ as possible to make it more attractive and a more viable source of revenue. I mean, this is now listed as a primary feature of GDNet+:
"Up to 500 personal messages (10x more!)"

Seriously? You're touting an increased MAILBOX SIZE as a selling point? I've been subscribing to GDNet+ for years now, but I think when the renewal comes around again I'll be dropping it.

4. Widescreen Users - Why have we squished everything together, when everyone and their mom is moving towards widescreen monitors these days? It just makes no sense at all. So much horizontal space is lost, which in turn increases the vertical space required to read anything. Very frustrating.

5. Losing the Rating System - I know the rating system has always been controversial, but what you have now is completely pointless and should not even exist. No more down voting removes any incentive to keep your posts to community standards. As long as you don't do anything explicitly bannable, you can get away with whatever you like. Additionally, voting on posts and not users leads to run-away inflation for users who post a lot. Want more reputation? Just post more! It emphasizes quantity over quality, which is never a great idea. Finally, the rating is so hidden now that it might as well not even exist. The way I see it, you should either do it properly, or just remove the feature entirely if you feel GDNet users shouldn't be worrying about ratings at all. One or the other; not this middle ground.

6. Sane Defaults - I like that notifications are now very customizable, but someone wasn't thinking when the defaults were set. I started receiving emails for all sorts of useless events here, such as a user adding me as a friend. So much so, in fact, that GMail started putting everything coming from GDNet into the spam folder. Another questionable default is that of allowing people to be friends with you; apparently the default is to let them add you as a friend without you having any say in the matter. Now that they're friends, I have no way of getting rid of them, so they're not really friends as much as they are fans at this point :rolleyes:

Some of these problems are expected from a new software product, and I'm sure some will be fixed in the months to come. Unfortunately, I think a lot of them are explicit design decisions that have already been made. Hopefully not everything is set in stone at this point.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

#79 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1837

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

Apparently I need to search through the settings. This default white and blue is blinding.

(No, really, it is blinding for me. My eyes are far too light sensitive.)

I do find it odd that the forums don't take up the whole width of the screen, and I miss being able to 'bump' select forums up to the top of the list. The "Watched Content" isn't quite the same, and buries itself far down the side of the page every time I view the forums.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#80 Josh Petrie   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3178

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

I have to say that I'm unhappy with the new site. I liked the old one, and while it definitely needed improvement, I wouldn't call what we have now anything more than a step in the right direction.

1. De-emphasis of the forums - For some reason the forums feel even more hidden away than they were before. It takes an extra click to go through the drop-down menu now, and the recent topics menu has been moved all the way down the main page. So much emphasis is being placed on the Careers and Articles sections, even though GDNet does not excel in those areas. Looking at the Careers page is pretty pathetic, and the articles section hardly ever has real technical content. I thought the new site would focus more on the forums, which are GDNet's strongest feature.

2. Web 2.0 - I think it's easy to see that they went way overboard in this area. Every page feels cluttered with tons of junk that isn't even that useful. Why are there sharing buttons all over the place? Why is so much space wasted? What is the point of friend lists? Why are there status updates next to the forum listing? It's like all this stuff was added just because they could. GDNet is not Facebook, and it is not Twitter. I don't see why it should be trying to emulate them either.

3. Death of GDNet+ - I think you guys are really shooting yourselves in the foot here with this one. You've cheapened GDNet+ significantly by giving everyone journals and avatars, when instead you should have been trying to add as many new things to GDNet+ as possible to make it more attractive and a more viable source of revenue. I mean, this is now listed as a primary feature of GDNet+:
"Up to 500 personal messages (10x more!)"

Seriously? You're touting an increased MAILBOX SIZE as a selling point? I've been subscribing to GDNet+ for years now, but I think when the renewal comes around again I'll be dropping it.

4. Widescreen Users - Why have we squished everything together, when everyone and their mom is moving towards widescreen monitors these days? It just makes no sense at all. So much horizontal space is lost, which in turn increases the vertical space required to read anything. Very frustrating.

5. Losing the Rating System - I know the rating system has always been controversial, but what you have now is completely pointless and should not even exist. No more down voting removes any incentive to keep your posts to community standards. As long as you don't do anything explicitly bannable, you can get away with whatever you like. Additionally, voting on posts and not users leads to run-away inflation for users who post a lot. Want more reputation? Just post more! It emphasizes quantity over quality, which is never a great idea. Finally, the rating is so hidden now that it might as well not even exist. The way I see it, you should either do it properly, or just remove the feature entirely if you feel GDNet users shouldn't be worrying about ratings at all. One or the other; not this middle ground.

6. Sane Defaults - I like that notifications are now very customizable, but someone wasn't thinking when the defaults were set. I started receiving emails for all sorts of useless events here, such as a user adding me as a friend. So much so, in fact, that GMail started putting everything coming from GDNet into the spam folder. Another questionable default is that of allowing people to be friends with you; apparently the default is to let them add you as a friend without you having any say in the matter. Now that they're friends, I have no way of getting rid of them, so they're not really friends as much as they are fans at this point :rolleyes:

Some of these problems are expected from a new software product, and I'm sure some will be fixed in the months to come. Unfortunately, I think a lot of them are explicit design decisions that have already been made. Hopefully not everything is set in stone at this point.

If I could vote this up more than once, I damn well would.

I think a "dark" theme should be added to GDNet+. That's far more monetizable than extra mailbox storage, I'm sure.

Josh Petrie | Game Developer, Undead Labs

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS