• Create Account

You Are Old ...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
55 replies to this topic

#1 phresnel   Members   -  Reputation: 945

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:30 AM

... if the answer to the following question is obvious to you: http://superuser.com...drives-used-for .

Have you taken your medicine already?

Sponsor:

#2 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

heh
I like the Walrus best.

#3 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1626

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

heh in my teaching manual for a class it mentions floppy drives as a storage medium. This material is from 2008 which makes it hilarious. It's like they append a new date without paying attention to if the material is horribly out of date. I feel like keeping a floppy drive just to shock people. "Sorry I'm late for the presentation! Yeah I brought the powerpoint. It was large so I chained 6 floppies together. Problem?"

Also I don't know about your guys but I didn't hear about a zip drive until like the beginning of university when I got a job and found a zip drive reader in the back of a utility closet. "What is this piece of archaic technology?" My boss: "You see this was a form of data storage like the floppy disk. The university never really supported them. It could store a few 100 MB..." Apparently they never caught on in my high school since I never saw them.

#4 Antheus   Members   -  Reputation: 2389

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

Floppys are bound to make a comeback.

Put 5 of them in RAID and they can stream a single mp3 file in real time.

#5 Kayzaks   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hehe, nice one Posted Image

#6 irreversible   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1179

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

I'm feeling this topic. I'm also feeling its gravity as a self-sustaining flash of nostalgia.

#7 The Communist Duck   Members   -  Reputation: 154

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

I should be scared. I'm literally just 16 and knew this instantly and have done since I was about 5. D:

#8 Nathan Handley   Members   -  Reputation: 792

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

Posted Image

#9 InvalidPointer   Members   -  Reputation: 1352

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

In the immortal words of wez in the linked StackOverflow topic, who is general failure, and why is he reading my disk?!
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

#10 Evil Steve   Members   -  Reputation: 1955

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

I feel old because I had an A: and a B: drive. And I approve of every post in this thread.

Steve Macpherson
Senior programmer, Firebrand Games

#11 Pete Michaud   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, I had a couple computers before there was such a thing as a hard drive in a home computer. You had whatever floppy, and the working memory, that's all. Oh, and the floppies were definitely NOT 3.5".

#12 mind in a box   Members   -  Reputation: 545

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

I am 17 and I know that. We had a computer which such drives when I remember it right. A:\ is for 3.5" Floppys and the B: was for somewhat bigger ones ;)

#13 Antheus   Members   -  Reputation: 2389

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

I feel old because I had an A: and a B: drive. And I approve of every post in this thread.

Luxury. We could only dream of having letters for our drives. Or colons. We did a LOAD "",8 and we were grateful for it.

#14 phresnel   Members   -  Reputation: 945

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

I had only an A: drive, therefore I am just half as old. Otoh, I know this:

Posted Image

Oh yeah.

Us talking about floppy disks must be like when the bearded ones talk about punchcards et al, zomg.

#15 farcodev   Members   -  Reputation: 160

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

cassettes hmmm, it remember me my Amstrad era :lol:
---------------------------------
FAR Colony http://farcolony.blogspot.com/

#16 Quasimojo   Members   -  Reputation: 220

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

I can't believe we are quite that far along yet. The poster *must* have been asking rhetorically....surely......please?..... :o

@phresnel: Gotcha beat. I (still) have the cassette *and* the floppy drive (which cost more than the computer) for my C-64. I loved that machine.

#17 Mihulik   Members   -  Reputation: 124

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

Haha - I'm only 19 years old but I used to use floppy drivers quite a bit.

I can remember the noise my 5.25" driver made while the PC was booting.

I hated that noise especially early mornings when I didn't want to wake my parents up since they would force me to turn the PC off and go to bed again.:-D

#18 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1626

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

I hated that noise especially early mornings when I didn't want to wake my parents up since they would force me to turn the PC off and go to bed again.:-D

Reminds me of the 56k modem. Whoever thought that not putting a volume control on those things was a good idea should die. I ended up ripping the speaker off. Still worked.

#19 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1209

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, well ... I'm old .... but YOU'RE FAT! *runs off to have a cry in the corner*

#20 Starnick   Members   -  Reputation: 1132

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

When I built my current computer about 3 years ago now, I bought a new floppy drive (~5 bucks) for aesthetics. I'm so used it I couldn't let go :/

Consequently, I have yet to use it for anything heh.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS