• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Gdnet Black (Alpha)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
61 replies to this topic

#1 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

If you look at the bottom of the page, you'll see that there is now a little drop-down box that lets you change your skin (if you're logged in).

I've put together the very beginnings of a dark-based theme, for those of you who HATE THE LIGHT, SSSSSSSSS. It's more of a proto-skin at the moment, but it should allow you to read threads in a lot more comfort. I'll work through the other major pages and fix them as well in time, but I figured that some of you might like to start using it now. Be aware that it is under construction, so don't be surprised if you're browsing the site, and suddenly: POW, RIGHT IN THE KISSER. Er, I mean, the stylesheet.

So yeah. Enjoy. Let me know if you've got better palette suggestions, I'm not an artist and have really just picked shades at random most of the time.

One thing that would help me would be if anyone else is happy to contribute CSS rules to the skin. That way I can just copy and paste them in, and it'll all be done a lot faster.

(edit by Gaiiden)
Please everyone if you notice issues with the black theme, do not use the Feedback tab, but report them here so everyone can see them, offer corrections and superpig can also have all issues in one place for making edits to the theme.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Sponsor:

#2 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:04 PM

Approve so far. Can you apply similar to the reply box? Not a huge deal because you use it less frequently, but if it's trivial to implement it might be nice.

#3 Oberon_Command   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1974

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

Ah, much better. Though I'd prefer that the grey be a little darker, I'd say that this is much easier on my eyes.

#4 Washu   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 5531

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:15 PM

This should make quotes and code blocks nicer:
changes.png

.pln {
    color: lightGrey;
}
.pun {
    color: blue;
}
.kwd {
    color: #1CF;
}
div.blockquote{
    background: #1C1C1C;
    border-color: #6FA987;
    border-style: solid;
    border-width: 1px 1px 1px 3px;
    font-size: 0.9em;
    margin: 0px;
    margin-top: 0px;
}

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.
ScapeCode - Blog | SlimDX

#5 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1889

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

Thank you. This is so much easier on the eyes.

Only issue I see so far is you have a dark blue font for the "Share this topic" near the bottom of the page, right above the fast reply, which is really hard to read now. But other than that minor issue, everything seems fine.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#6 InvalidPointer   Members   -  Reputation: 1443

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:26 PM

YAAAY! Now I no longer have to suffer. Upvotes abound!
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

#7 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1217

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

Definitely prefer this theme to the other one. I still think something needs to be done about the vertical space usage for the profile and awards though.

#8 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1217

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

Definitely prefer this theme to the other one. I still think something needs to be done about the vertical space usage for the profile and awards though.

Appears to be better now with smaller award icons. I did like how the old forums had the avatar in the top left of the box with the vertical bar with the user name coming out of it... Still, it's nice to see you guys improving things on the fly. Fantastic work!

#9 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

The post text is too low-contrast to the post background color in this theme; make the post background a little darker, and we'll be in business.

~BenDilts( void );

Lucidchart: Online Flow Chart Software; Lucidpress: Digital Publishing Software

#10 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

I've dropped the background colour by a little bit, it should come through in a few minutes once the caches pick it up. We'll see how it looks.

I've also dropped post count display from the user info panels. I think it's a detrimental thing to display in a forum, because it causes people to post stupid off-topic stuff like 'OH HEY LOOK MY POST COUNT IS 1337 LOOOOOOOL' etc. It also has the benefit of reducing the space usage a little bit. Thoughts, anyone?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

#11 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1217

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

Yeah, it is what lead to the post wars back in 2000/2001 IIRC

#12 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

Axed the 'Group: Members' line for people who are just normal members.

#13 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

Limited signatures to 100px. If they're taller than that, they should just get cut off.

#14 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22783

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

This should make quotes and code blocks everything nicer:

border-width: 1px 1px 1px 3px;
    font-size: 0.9em;
    margin: 0px;
    padding: 0px;

Fixed.

I'm actually building my own custom .css to replace my old one in stylish for the site. The padding, margin, and font-size elements are by far my biggest complaints on the new site.

When I first started, I noticed lots of <div ... padding: 5px ... > <div ... margin-top=4px ... > < div ... height="way too much">content</div></div></div>. A few items had 20+ pixels of useless padding around blocks. The lines of text ads are one such offender.

Just pruning those down gives me a much more readable site. The white space bothered my eyes much more than the color scheme.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#15 karwosts   Members   -  Reputation: 840

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:41 PM

Code blocks are pretty difficult to read in black mode, just my opinion.

Dark purple and dark green on black doesn't really stand out very much, looks kind of weird.
My Projects:
Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game

#16 Washu   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 5531

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:44 PM

To fix news posts on front page...
.post, ul.activity li {

background: #373737 repeat-x 0% 100%;

border-bottom: 1px solid #CFE3EF;

margin: 0px -10px;

padding: 1em 10px;}

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

#17 Washu   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 5531

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:47 PM

Code blocks are pretty difficult to read in black mode, just my opinion.

Dark purple and dark green on black doesn't really stand out very much, looks kind of weird.

It was a quick hack to get them looking better.

If you have better suggestions, then contribute the CSS for them :)

#18 leiavoia   Members   -  Reputation: 960

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:00 AM

A few observations on colors and readable web text:

[Qualifications: i do this for a living. ]

[Caveat: Contains personal views; subject to opinion]

Black text on white background: This is the highest contrast you can get and the easiest to read... or so some people claim. This works good for print but not web. Obviously, the bright white is not popular around here and that's because were talking about positive (emissive) color. Translation: it burns your eyes.

White text on black background:
You would think this would solve all the problems of the opposite, but it doesn't. It creates bad eyestrain for me.

Anything on midtoned background: congratulations, you've just cut the contrast down, which makes your eyes strain even more!

Best compromise IMNSHO:
Black text (#000) on off-white or light grey (#DDD) works well for me. This is also the format of the old GDnet on my account settings. (Surprise!)

The current Black Alpha uses a midtone/dark grey for the posting area with white text. This is actually really hard for me to read. My eyes hurt less than staring at white, but strain more to see.

I would recommend a dark page background, but use a black-on-off-white scheme for the actual post content area.

#19 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

The whole point of this theme is to provide an option for those people who don't like black-on-white, though. Basing it around black-on-white text would somewhat defeat the purpose.

#20 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:02 AM

I like the deep black that shows in Washu's post. This gray-black is .... better than the bright default but not as good as the original black.

To add, original black background with gray-offset text would be great!
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS