• Create Account

Gdnet Black (Alpha)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
61 replies to this topic

#41 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3119

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

The light skin text was recently condensed in line spacing... doesn't seem to affect the dark theme yet/currently

Relevant Post

Sorry, I didn't mean to compare against previous rel of this style but rather the previous gamedev. The concept I'm trying to point out is related to x-dimensions of characters.
For example, OpenOffice writer has a property in a "Character" tab allowing to scale the glyphs in the x dimension... something like that. Is the new font more compact? I'm not even sure. I guess it's just me.

Much appreciated, a lot easier on the eyes... but maybe it's a bit to dark?

Nah... it's ok in my opinion. Even darker would be ok for me but in case bg isn't made darker, I would appreciate some extra brightness on text it still seems to be a bit low on contrast for me.

As for the light themes, although I cannot see the individual sub-pixels, I often perceive high-luminance areas to be "not smooth" (I can see the pixel grid relatively easy)... LCD kinda sucks and I suppose I'm pretty high in sensitivity so +1 for black!
Anyway, is the text color light blue? It appears to be. I think it is. Maybe I'll annoy someone but I think it needs more contrast.
blueText.png

By the way, can we have justified text?

A few other observations on color, garnered from slaving away for years in front of a machine doing color correction:

• Caffeine will dull your sense of color.

No this is not true, I don't believe this for a minute. It cannot be real. It is not real. (Joke intended)

Sponsor:

#42 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

When using the Black (Alpha) theme, the number of views in the View column has gray text on gray background that makes it hard to see.

Note: I initally logged this using the Feedback tool. It was marked as "Resolved", but the problem still remains.
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#43 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

Note: I initally logged this using the Feedback tool. It was marked as "Resolved", but the problem still remains.

That's probably because I'm working on the Dark theme as kind of a sideline to everybody else, so it's been requested that bugs/issues with it be kept out of the official feedback channels. Keeping the bugs and reports in this thread is the appropriate thing to do for now.

I've dropped off the radar for the past couple of days due to other projects - I should have a bit of time this evening / tomorrow to go through and correct some of the issues people have mentioned here, as well as try to cover a bit more of the site. I think I agree with the suggestions that the contrast between text and background should be increased a bit; my present thought is to make the text brighter.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

#44 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

Just wanted to point out that for some reason the Black theme doesn't seem to work on the XNA 4.0 Workshop forum: http://www.gamedev.n...p-introduction/ .. or at least for me I get dark grey on darker grey... I would have thought the post would have the same classes that the CSS could already handle... Looking at the source it seems to have thrown in a "<span style='color: #1C2837'>" at the beginning of the post, could be related to copy-pasting into the Post box (as formatting seems to be preserved).

For things like this I can only assume that posting in such a way may break visibility in other themes (unless we can ban the span, which I thought was already banned from posting)

Yeah, unfortunately I think this is just the way the WYSIWG editor encodes colours (the paintbrush button after the size dropdown). People will just need to be aware, when authoring their posts, that the colours will break on alternate themes.

Perhaps at some point we can look into adding proper CSS-stylable 'heading' and 'subheading' styles to the 'Other Styles' dropdown.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

#45 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

OK, I've gone through and collapsed all the black theme's changes into one place, so that the other changes that have been made to the regular skin will now propagate through. Let me know if anything's broken as a result.

#46 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 754

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

Wow thank god my eyes can finally rest :)

#47 CableGuy   Members   -  Reputation: 897

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:59 AM

OK, I've gone through and collapsed all the black theme's changes into one place, so that the other changes that have been made to the regular skin will now propagate through. Let me know if anything's broken as a result.

Don't know if it is a result but the RSS menu is not readable.

#48 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

Quite possibly. You mean the light-grey-on-orange popup you get when you click the RSS icon?

#49 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:37 AM

Can we please go back to the white background for source code?! The color scheme is ridiculous and having to squint and/or highlight text so I can read is extremely annoying. Also quotes colors are just an eye strain. Quote that black and white

An example of source code madness: Crazy Code Colors

Oh and can we remove the violet/purple text against the black and gray backgrounds? Text is hard to read. And also, can we make links blue instead of gray?

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#50 CableGuy   Members   -  Reputation: 897

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:20 AM

Quite possibly. You mean the light-grey-on-orange popup you get when you click the RSS icon?

Yep.

#51 PlaidHat   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:30 AM

SO much better :), minor thing : the reply box is light , no big deal though.

#52 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3119

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:38 AM

Can we please go back to the white background for source code?! The color scheme is ridiculous and having to squint and/or highlight text so I can read is extremely annoying. Also quotes colors are just an eye strain. Quote that black and white

Perhaps the borders should be full-white or very light color (as it is now) while the quoted text remains in black background? I almost like the way it is now.

An example of source code madness: Crazy Code Colors

Agreed, I'd like less colors and more contrast. the blue used for {}+(): is terrible. If colors have to be here, I'd say this should be the same color used for keywords.

As a note on my previous message, the text does not look "light blue" on my desktop panel (TN).

#53 medevilenemy   Members   -  Reputation: 315

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

Could the white background behind the site content be made dark as well? I tend to think it kind of clashes
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.

#54 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1801

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

I seem to have white backgrounds everywhere, except when actually viewing a thread. On a large window this gives two bright white bars.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#55 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Couldn't just make some of these available?

pictars
I like the Walrus best.

#56 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

The iTunes and "Write Me Back" themes were cool.

Spoiler

#57 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

I'm looking at Zahlman's signature which is just a list of quotes (in the Black Theme if that makes a difference). And his last quote is barely visible. You can't scroll that part of the screen. Seems like a bit of a bug.

Referring Link: http://www.gamedev.n...e__pid__4765747

Spoiler

#58 Lode   Members   -  Reputation: 982

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:42 AM

I'm a GDNet black user as always. It looks mostly OK now, but there are many issues with hard-to-distinguish colors.

There are lightgray on slightly different lightgrey things: the Views, and the Stats column and "By" and "In" words when going here for example http://www.gamedev.net/forum/122-community-interaction/.

Then there are darkblue on dark background things, such as "Share this topic" near the twitter icons and also sort of the Previous Topic and Next Topic links appearing somewhere.

It would be nice if those hard to distinguish colors were fixed to make things easier to read :)

#59 Lode   Members   -  Reputation: 982

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

Another thingie, some smiley images have visible white border pixels.

Use translucent PNGs, IE6 is dead in the meantime, almost everyone and their cat's webbrowser supports translucent PNGs!

#60 Extrarius   Members   -  Reputation: 1412

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:12 PM

I'm disappointed to see the black theme is still significantly broken. I'd like to be able to occasionally browse GDNet without serious eye strain, but the new website still doesn't offer me that option.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS