• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

XNA Workshop Member Introductions!

• You cannot reply to this topic
83 replies to this topic

#61 Retronator   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

Hey guys!

I am a teaching assistant from Slovenia, 26 years old.

I've been teaching XNA myself so I'm really interested in seeing how others do it, but while I'm checking it out I'll also try to help out with any questions. I used to teach an extracurricular 6-week XNA workshop 2 years ago, but have lately got a job to teach a full 15-week semester of game development on the iOS. iOS as in iPhone/iPad and objective-c. So, with my heavy preference for XNA, I've said to myself, if I have to teach students to code games with that smalltalk syntax, I better give them a hell-of-a-great framework to do it with. So I basically took XNA 4.0 and ported it to objective-c (well, still doing this actively, it's a big library to recode all by myself) and the side effect of this process is I know the underlying workings of XNA better then ever before (have been a user since day 0).

I have just shipped my first iPhone/iPad game to the app store and one day I would love to do an Xbox game, but currently this is very hard from the country I live in (we are not on the map for XBLIG). :| That's also the reason why my current professional interest lies on apple's platform, but I stay up to date with XNA (love the clean OO architecture the guys are putting together) and hope to do at least a free windows game in 2011 with it.

See you in the trenches! :)

Cheers,
Matej Jan (Retro)

Sponsor:

#62 Bill Fountaine   Members   -  Reputation: 193

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hi everyone, my name is Bill Fountaine, I am 19 (20 in 4 days), and I live in upstate NY.

i've been an avid gamer my whole life, and games like MGS, the original Crash Bandicoot, the original Spyro, Twisted Metal, etc, have made me want to create the very games I loved to play as a kid.

#63 Lord of 13   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

Well, I'm Lord of 13 (AKA "Lord", "13", or "the" [on one forum...]), and I'm one of the younger students here. I've been coding C# since the September of '08 (about two and a half years), the year before I started High School, and 2D XNA since the summer of '09 (about a year and a half). I live near Seattle and am taking courses to learn more about game programming along with the standard smorgasbord of required classes. I enjoy coding game engines and designed games, but dislike having to work with physics and graphics. I've recently forayed into HLSL (which is really a lot easier than it sounds) and AI, as well as component-based programming. I'm taking this class for two reasons - one, for the 3D part of XNA; and two, for a more formal approach to XNA to cover everything I missed when "winging it".
Proud creator of gCode SL and the XNA Platformer,Zwiel.

#64 Dace   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:44 AM

Hi all,

I'm Lee, 28 years old, and have been playing round with all kinds of programming over the last many years in my spare time. I used to do web application development with .NET, and have been trying to learn XNA over the last year or so on and off. I joined this workshop in the hopes that the more structured and social environment will help me stay motivated and just be an all round better learning tool than fumbling my way through it with no direction or goal.

PEACE

#65 ChrisPo   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:30 AM

Hello all,

My name is Chris, I'm from Canada. I have a BSc in Comp. Sci. and have been doing PHP and C# web programming for the past 7 years and have a web development consulting company with 2 friends. I have always wanted to learn more about game programming, but I haven't done any CG or games since university. I came across XNA a few weeks ago and I've been playing with some tutorials when I came across this course, so I thought I'd give it a go and learn XNA intensively.

#66 ming_tea   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

Nice to meet you all!

My name is Kevin, and I'm a 31-year old self-taught programmer living in Philadelphia.

I've dabbled in C++, Java, x86 assembly, Ruby, and C#. I've messed around here and there with XNA, and I am really excited to learn in a supportive, disciplined environment. Love of games is what inspired me to take up programming as a hobby, and two years ago I decided to return to college to pursue a degree in Computer Science. I currently work for an ISP/Telecom company, and am extremely lucky to be married to someone so supportive of this hobby. I think I'm here for the same reason as most people - to actually finish a project in 2011.

Good Luck! :)

#67 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22293

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

I'm Bryan, age 34. I work in the industry, with published titles on 9 platforms. I've also worked outside the industry doing business software, meeting presentation software, embedded systems, and broadcasting.

I am comfortable with C#, but not "expert" at it yet. I've worked with tools that have used XNA, but am not truly comfortable with it yet. I'm hoping that participation will increase my comfort with XNA.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#68 markadrake   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

My name is Mark Drake. I'm 24 years old, spent the past 3 years as an I.T. in the Navy. For the past 8 years I've been a web developer. Funny tidbit - I have no artistic creativity. I don't know what it is, I just can't draw or use the 'ol imagination. I know html, css, javascript, php, mysql, and a lot of other various things.

I'm part of a group of students over at the community college who are getting together to try and create a game in our free-time.

I run a blog, Mark Drake Blog and I'm designing the site, OnSlaught GD.

I'm also always looking for new web projects so hit me up anytime.

V/R,
Mark Drake

#69 Chris Park   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris, I'm 27 years old, and I guess I have a bit of "Jack of all trades" syndrome. I have at least passive knowledge or higher in several different subjects including: Music. (Theory, Composition, and Performance) Woodworking and Electronics. (I group these together as they pertain to building arcade cabinets and custom controllers) Programming experience over the years pertaining to Basic and C++. Drawing both on paper and via tablet on the compy here, as well as many other things to a lesser degree. I've dabbled with programming and game development off and on since the age of 12, but have never really committed to it seriously, but no more!

I did not actually sign up for the workshop from the sign-up sheet as I had questioned whether or not I required the necessary knowledge to make headway with what is being learned, but I went ahead and bought the book anyway and intend to follow along to the best of my ability. I'm not sure if I'll miss out on certain things or not because I didn't actually sign up but I will do the best I can and will put forth any input I can that may (or may not) help others.

As a bit of side note, I have been gaming excessively for the past 23 years, have a weakness for coffee, and love most things spawned from an intellectual nature or curiosity.

Looking forward to everything in the weeks to come,

Chris

#70 Stryter   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

Hey everyone

My name is Josh. I'm an undergrad at Tennessee Tech University majoring in computer science, although I am taking a semester off to work and make some much needed money.

Through school I've learned C/C++, Java, and have gotten my feet wet in scripting under linux. On my own though, I have taught myself C#, mainly through working with XNA. I've spent about 6 months or so piecing together my own 3D game engine, trying to learn as I go. I am hoping this will give me a much greater understanding of the game design process, especially graphics. I am really excited to take part in this! Can't wait to see how things unfold over the coming weeks.

#71 b_ill   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:17 PM

Hello, I'm Bill. I'm just short of 25 years old, and have been coding in C++ for about 10 years. My programmerly interests lie mainly in AI, gameplay systems engineering, simulations, and financial engineering. My thesis was on using neural networks to predict movements in the stock market. I've done a bit with C# and XNA before, and primarily am doing this because I miss structured learning :) Glad to see there are people representing so many countries here.

#72 JediExile   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

Hi everyone!

My name is Kat and like most of you, I'm an aspiring game developer. I went to college for programming; I have experience with C++, VB.NET and Java. I've played around with XNA a little, but there is much to be learned. :)

#73 Vione   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:27 AM

Hey everyone! The name's Yuna, I'm 19 (turning 20), living in Singapore. I'm an undergrad student majoring in IT in Interactive Tech and Game Design. I've learned C++ and Java through school, and have been self-teaching myself on C#. I've always loved playing games and have always wondered what goes behind the screen, which is why I'm trying to learn more about game programming. I've played around with XNA a bit here and there, but structured learning like this workshop would help me a lot in learning, since I often have troubles with focusing on where I should start first.

Looking forward to the lessons to come!

#74 JuDelCo   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hi! I'm Juan. I'm studying an Superior Module of Software development. I love games and i want always make own one. I'm learning in my free time C/C++ and i know also programming in C#. I'm 20 years old and i live in Spain. Past years ago, i do little games or game engines attempts, but i never do something big or for serious bussiness.

Sorry if my english speaking it's not very good, i speak native spanish, not english, but i can read and understand it very well.

Good luck to everyone.

#75 Kyle Brechin   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

Hey everyone, how's it going?

Im Kyle, 22 years old from Glendale, CA. Im stationed in Colorado Springs though, and currency finishing my second deployment as an infantryman in Iraq.

I've been playing around with C++ since I was 16, though never developed anything exciting except a few simple, boring text games filled with slow code.

I've messed around with OpenGL and directX but not having a classroom to show me the how or why it works doesn't help. Ive also played with the source SDK and some Quake 2-4 mods. I'm a proud owner of the Torque engine, as well as several of their other engines and dev. tools, and have made some interesting progress with them.

I attended UAT for game programming for a year before joining the army, and I'm about to finish my degree with DeVRy once I get back to the states.

I'm a huge gamer! Hell yea! Been playing ever since I got my genesis when I was a kid and haven't stopped since. I'm happy to say in the past few years ive opened up my gaming and development to game genres I used to hate, which has made my programming and playing much more enjoyable.

I toyed with XNA for a little bit, though I only managed to make it to displaying sprites and backgrounds. Pretty much recreating tutorials and tweaking them slightly till they broke. I demand an understanding of what I do when it comes to programming or else I won't learn from it.

I'm not here to make some friends, throw a team together, and make an awesome game, though it'd be good to make some new connections. Im just here to learn XNA 4.0 in a great community setting I've been usig for years and see what I can do to add some new work to my portfolio.

Take care!

#76 NullSoldier   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:48 AM

Hello, my name is Jason and I'm a 20 year old aspiring game developer that lives in the Florida, US area. I'm a professional C# developer and I like to focus on high level architecture, UI design, and tool development. I've written a functional MMO engine for XNA and have experience in team leadership, project management, and public relations.

The pride of my work is my XNA and Winforms tile editor Griffin which is supported by my tile engine Valkyrie. http://entitygames.net/index.php?v=griffin

#77 schiapu   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

Hello everyone, just joined gamedev.

I'm Guillermo, from Venezuela. I am 24 years old and have programmed since 18, mainly making web applications, but my love for videogames is neverending. I'm new to actually developing videogames and want to learn as much as I can from every source available!

#78 a_insomniac   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 612

0Likes

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hey everyone B)

I'm definitely party crashing this workshop a little late but I'm sure to get caught up.
I just purchased the book on my Kindle and downloaded it for PC...didnt realize I need to purchase the source sepeartely :huh: no biggie though...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning from the group

----------
Coder and 3D Artist

Electrical Engineering Student
http://ibendwires.com

#79 Sear   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

Hi. I'm Sear, and I'm a little frustrated that not a single of the eight or so tutorials I'm juggling give a clear indication to someone who happens to know some C#.

They all seem to expect me to know about XNA's integrated classes and methods.

Anyways, about myself. I'm an artist, in certain ways. I'm obsessed with self-growth and my own goals. One of those goals is game programming. It's a really long story.

#80 Nikke   Members   -  Reputation: 367

0Likes

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hi all!

I'm Nick, a 22 guy from belgium who is particularly interested in the XNA framework for it's amazing capabilities and low production time.
While I'm still acquiring the book I'm eager to learn as much as possible from this workshop :)

Cheers,
Nick
Ironbane MMO.
It's so cool I don't even need to give you a link for it.

PARTNERS