• Create Account

Multipass rendering without re-transforming scene

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 TerranFury   Members   -  Reputation: 142

Posted 02 September 2001 - 03:42 AM

The title should explain essentially what I mean to ask: Is it possible to render a polygon using multiple blended textures in multiple passes without re-transforming the polygon? In theory, multipass rendering should only hit your fillrate, and not your CPU. How can I do that in practice?

Sponsor:

#2 Prosper/LOADED   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 02 September 2001 - 04:25 AM

Just do all your transformations and store the results in arrays. After that, render you arrays several times with different textures.

But note that almost all nowadays cards can use multitexturing which does not hit your fillrate as much as rendering the scene several times.

However it''s not included in the standard OpenGL implementation. Check ARBMultiTexture.

#3 TerranFury   Members   -  Reputation: 142

Posted 02 September 2001 - 05:43 AM

That will take care of translation and rotation. But how can I perspective transform the geometry from world space to 2d space only once?

#4 wolfman8k   Members   -  Reputation: 140

Posted 02 September 2001 - 07:05 AM

I never tried this, so it may even be slower, but you can try sticking each glBegin/End block in a NON-compiled display list on the fly. Compiling can''t be done real time. That way the data stays in the card.

#5 zedzeek   Members   -  Reputation: 528

Posted 02 September 2001 - 10:31 AM

that is sort of the idea of CVA''s (compiled vertex arrays)

#6 Prosper/LOADED   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 03 September 2001 - 12:16 AM

quote:
Original post by TerranFury
That will take care of translation and rotation. But how can I perspective transform the geometry from world space to 2d space only once?

With multi texturing projections are computed only one time.

#7 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 03 September 2001 - 06:12 AM

Use CVAs.
Or locked Vertex arrays.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS