• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

What happened to the Four Elements contests?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

#1 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 921

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

Good afternoon, I wasn't too sure where to put this so I finally decided here.

I was just curious what happened to the Four Elements contest that Gamedev.net was running every year? I see the previous ones and unfortunately was not involved in game programming at the time so I was unable to enter these competitions. I have been thinking for the past year that I would like to give it a try but to no avail can I find any information on the next one other than that the competition seems to abruptly end after 2006 with no mention as to it was the last one(which leads me to believe they were going to be....are continued?) What was the reasoning behind this if it did indeed stop running? If the location has just moved (no longer on GameDev.net) can someone point me to the new location?

Thanks.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

www.gwnp.ca

Sponsor:

#2 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8532

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:39 PM

The original organisers participated less and less as the years went on. Two years ago there was a fairly major problem with the judging process taking a long time. I believe this was 4e6. In the absence of any official competition, last year a member, "Lesan", took it upon himself to organise a "Unofficial 4 Elements Competition", AKA UFEC. It was a relatively small affair compared with previous years.

I don't know if anyone plans on organising something similar this year. Viewing the archived forum will give you more information about what happened (set the "show topics from X days" to "all").

#3 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5250

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

Simple lack of effort. No one on staff wanted to run them after a time. Not to say they weren't great, however. We'd certainly like to do an official one again some time. Hopefully once we get things running a bit smoother around here the new site will provide us a better platform to launch another 4E4 contest.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#4 Khawk   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 1362

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

I'd like to get it going again. It was my baby for the first few years of the 4 Elements contest, but it became more difficult for me to organize the contest after a while. Others took it on after I stopped, but obviously it must be more difficult to organize a contest than it looks or else it might still be going. :)

So, if the demand is there (hint, hint) then perhaps we'll bring it back this year. It's always been a good summertime contest (for those in the northern hemisphere, anyway).

#5 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2079

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

I'd like to get it going again. It was my baby for the first few years of the 4 Elements contest, but it became more difficult for me to organize the contest after a while. Others took it on after I stopped, but obviously it must be more difficult to organize a contest than it looks or else it might still be going. :)

So, if the demand is there (hint, hint) then perhaps we'll bring it back this year. It's always been a good summertime contest (for those in the northern hemisphere, anyway).

I would love for it to be brought back, or even something similar.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

#6 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2307

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:18 PM

I would love for it to be brought back, or even something similar.

Bring the official count up to three staff members that would like to see it, and contests in general, return.

#7 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:52 AM

Not had a chance over the previous years to compete in the 4E contests, but would definitely be interested in joining in this year.

#8 mikeman   Members   -  Reputation: 2254

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:06 AM

Yeah, it would be really cool to have one this year...And I'd hope for the good-old 4 elements(fire,earth,water,air) contest since some of the most recent contests were kind of restrictive.

I'd like to see the 1W1B contest again too...it was the only one I actually finished a game for :)

#9 liquidAir   Members   -  Reputation: 313

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:48 AM

A bit off topic, but since we're talking about contests, it's quite related. In addition to 4 Elements, I'd also like to see the GDNet Arena contest brought back. Only one edition was held but it was fun.

#10 XXChester   Members   -  Reputation: 921

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies and information. I am glad I am not the only one that misses these contests and wishes they come back.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

www.gwnp.ca

#11 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

How were the four elements previously chosen? By staff members I'm guessing.

I think it would be interesting if someone made a small program to randomly generate the four elements from some sort of list just to make it a little more random.

#12 GameCreator   Members   -  Reputation: 772

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

Ha, as if the elements before weren't "random" enough. Ponies? Accountants? Economics? These elements would turn me away from participating. Yeah, they encourage creativity but it's hard to relate to some of them. I enjoyed the fire/water/etc. and pirate/zombie/etc. ones. Maybe it's that they had unity and variety at the same time. Picking 4 random, unrelated topics is a bit harder to work with.

#13 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

Ha, as if the elements before weren't "random" enough. Ponies? Accountants? Economics? These elements would turn me away from participating. Yeah, they encourage creativity but it's hard to relate to some of them. I enjoyed the fire/water/etc. and pirate/zombie/etc. ones. Maybe it's that they had unity and variety at the same time. Picking 4 random, unrelated topics is a bit harder to work with.

I think more interesting things would come out of the unexpected. I'd love to see a great game that was somehow about ponies and accountants. Plants vs. zombies would just be another game if it was Guns vs zombies. Half of what makes the game good is the ridiculousness of it.

#14 Trapper Zoid   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1370

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

I think more interesting things would come out of the unexpected. I'd love to see a great game that was somehow about ponies and accountants. Plants vs. zombies would just be another game if it was Guns vs zombies. Half of what makes the game good is the ridiculousness of it.

The problem I had was as the elements got more ridiculous it was hard to think of anything that properly incorporated three or more of the elements. All the game ideas felt more like "Here is a game about Ponies (with some accountants etc. in the backstory)" rather than have them all at equal billing. But the random elements could still work if the rules were that only two of the four had to be major components; it was incorporating all of them into something that also felt fun and implementable in a few months that became too overbearing.

Elements that are conceptually easier to implement would be nice too. I think "ponies" was the one that broke me down last time. On the one hand you've got to include ponies, but on the other they're a right devil to draw!

#15 Khawk   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 1362

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:24 AM

A bit off topic, but since we're talking about contests, it's quite related. In addition to 4 Elements, I'd also like to see the GDNet Arena contest brought back. Only one edition was held but it was fun.

We could always give that one another try. We'll need a better framework for the AI bots though.

#16 Khawk   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 1362

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:28 AM

How were the four elements previously chosen? By staff members I'm guessing.

I think it would be interesting if someone made a small program to randomly generate the four elements from some sort of list just to make it a little more random.

Yeah, staff. The original 4E with air, water, fire, earth was of course the traditional elements. I think it was changed to the other elements when there were some complaints about people getting a head start every year before the contest would be announced.

I agree with other posts - if we're going to have non-traditional elements then the elements need to at least have some sort of relation to each other. It's okay if it makes the contest "easier" if it means that the games and their story lines actually make sense. You never know - with the right mix of elements some entries could be marketable games.

#17 Khawk   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 1362

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

The problem I had was as the elements got more ridiculous it was hard to think of anything that properly incorporated three or more of the elements. All the game ideas felt more like "Here is a game about Ponies (with some accountants etc. in the backstory)" rather than have them all at equal billing. But the random elements could still work if the rules were that only two of the four had to be major components; it was incorporating all of them into something that also felt fun and implementable in a few months that became too overbearing.

Elements that are conceptually easier to implement would be nice too. I think "ponies" was the one that broke me down last time. On the one hand you've got to include ponies, but on the other they're a right devil to draw!

This is good feedback. We'll keep this in mind for future 4E contests.

#18 Tha_HoodRat   Members   -  Reputation: 143

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

I will come out of retirement if another 4 elements competition came out. Those were fun.
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS