• Create Account

Looking to beta testers for android game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 Enders   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

Hi!

I am looking for a few beta testers for a game I have been working on for android devices. It is just a basic game. But I want to know how well it works on different devices and such. It is using opengl to draw the 2d images.

Things I would like to know are:

Do the graphics render on your device?
Are you able to use the controls?
Are the controls too small or too big?
Any way to improve the game play?

At the moment, the game is in beta. I have a bunch of ideas for additional content. Here are some screen shots of the game.

The demo game is available on the Android Market now. Here is a linky. Orbital Launch Demo on Android Market

UPDATE (2.24.2011):
Activity lifecycle was not ending correctly when application was closed. Users had to force close the app to be able to play again. Fixed.

UPDATE (2.25.2011): SriLumpa tested game and images failed to render except a few. Determined that many of my images where not using powers of twos for width and height. Adjusted game images to correct size. Also, through test plays, determined that the velocity controls are useless. Users would just only use the highest velocity. Removed.

UPDATE (2.26.2011): Shattered9 from anddev.org tested the game and images failed to render except the star field and side controls. I determined that a scaling issue was the reason for the other missing images. They were still being drawn, just at a scale of zero. Added code to scale the images correctly for high resolution screens.

UPDATE (2.28.2011): Users with large screens mentioned that the controls were too small. Added code to scale the controls for larger screens. The game should now appear the same on any resolution. Included an indicator for your reload.

UPDATE (3.1.2011): Frame animations are now possible and used in this game for explosions. Also created big explosions for the planets when they reach zero life. Pretty nice.

Posted Image Posted Image

Sponsor:

#2 SriLumpa   Members   -  Reputation: 198

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

I don't guarantee I will dedicate much time to it, and my device is not the most exotic (Samsung Galaxy S), but I can give it a try.

#3 Enders   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

I found an error while testing it again on my phone. It seems after closing the app, and trying to run it again yields a black screen. I uploaded a revision to fix that.

#4 Enders   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

Thanks to SriLumpa, which the program failed to load on his device. I determined that android devices with hardware acceleration for opengl fails. That is because of the way I was making my images. I was not using power of twos. 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512

I have changed all of my images to be powers of twos. So it should run now. I am also now opening the game to be download without asking for downloads. But if you do download, please let me know and tell me what you think and also report any errors you find. You can download the game from the first post.

#5 Enders   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:05 PM

Okay, thanks to shattered9's from anddev.org testing efforts (failed several times on his device) Posted Image
I think i may have determined why some of the images were not drawing on the screen.

When I originally coded my game, I wanted to make it look the same on all screen sizes. So I would scale the field determining a 480 pixel width. My phone's width is 240. So when I divide 240 by 480. I get a half scaled down game on my phone. But, I didn't code for what should happen when somebody does have a resolution of 480 or higher. So with high resolution devices, it would assume a scale of zero. it should have been a one.

I have uploaded a revised version for testing. Posted Image Please let me know.

#6 LoneWolfe007   Members   -  Reputation: 130

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:57 AM

Mind you I never tested any game and wrote about it before so bear with me :)

I used an Droid Incredible to test the game.

Orbital Launch is a extremely addictive game for me, the fact you used orbit and gravity to affect the missiles trajectory and speed is amazing. I started the game not really knowing what to do until I saw the buttons on the side, I would suggest a quick page or something that says hey this is how you play press anywhere to continue or something like that. Onto the buttons, for me much to small but sense this is just the beginning im sure they will be changed if not then I would suggest making them alittle bigger if possible.

Just as a side note when this game is fully done, im sure this will kill some good hours of my life because I cant put this thing down lol.

Thank you very much for making a game like this.

~Michael

#7 Enders   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:12 AM

Yay! Finally something that works. Yeah, this has been a really fun project for me. My next revision will be scaling the controls for different screen sizes, just like how I scale the game objects for different screen sizes.

And thank you for your kind and inspiring words. :)

#8 LoneWolfe007   Members   -  Reputation: 130

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:45 AM

Yay! Finally something that works. Yeah, this has been a really fun project for me. My next revision will be scaling the controls for different screen sizes, just like how I scale the game objects for different screen sizes.

And thank you for your kind and inspiring words. :)

Sweet I cant wait maybe I will be able to beat that dang moon........*drops to knees MOOOOOOOOOOON*

#9 Enders   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

Alright, updated another revision. Updates include: newer nicer looking starfield. Cooldown indicator, scaled buttons for larger screens. Also did some other bug fixing. Check it out :)

#10 Enders   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

Another day, another update.

This time, I added some code for sprite animation. My custom sprite class is coming along well. Going to be using that a lot in my next game B)
It was seriously difficult to do in opengl. Had to create an arraylist of integer arrays to handle the number of images. It will take a source file, with the height and width you specify, then will chop it up and make new textures out of it.

Animations are for explosions. I feel the game Level 1 is almost complete. I need to add a menu/end game screen and sound.

Feel free to download the game at the top and let me know :)

-Brian

#11 rr2011   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:58 AM

hi, am new here, got two devices, samsung pop and the olive pad could you send me the instruction to play the game,

Samsung Pop - Android 2.2.1, Display 240 x 320 pixels, 3.1 inches
Olive Pad Android 2.2, Display 800 x 400 WVGA, 7.0 inches

#12 LoneWolfe007   Members   -  Reputation: 130

0Likes

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

Another day, another update.

This time, I added some code for sprite animation. My custom sprite class is coming along well. Going to be using that a lot in my next game B)
It was seriously difficult to do in opengl. Had to create an arraylist of integer arrays to handle the number of images. It will take a source file, with the height and width you specify, then will chop it up and make new textures out of it.

Animations are for explosions. I feel the game Level 1 is almost complete. I need to add a menu/end game screen and sound.

Feel free to download the game at the top and let me know :)

-Brian

Amazing, its a bazillion times better *thumbs up*

I love the beginning how to play and play button as well as the end victory you won screen. I FINALLY BEAT THE MOON!! lol

Do you think it would be better to have the left and right arrows maybe bigger and in the bottom left instead of left center? aswell as the fire button maybe in the bottom right instead of right center? or do you not think that would be better?

#13 Enders   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

ahh i see what you are saying. I actually have uploaded the game to the android market now. You can download it by searching Orbital Launch Demo. You may need to uninstall the test package. The controls are on the bottom already in that version, and a bit bigger. Glad you like it. I am working on a new game for android right now. I think i learned as much as I can from Orbital Launch, so it is going on the shelf for now.

#14 LoneWolfe007   Members   -  Reputation: 130

0Likes

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

ahh i see what you are saying. I actually have uploaded the game to the android market now. You can download it by searching Orbital Launch Demo. You may need to uninstall the test package. The controls are on the bottom already in that version, and a bit bigger. Glad you like it. I am working on a new game for android right now. I think i learned as much as I can from Orbital Launch, so it is going on the shelf for now.

Oh hell yes that is exactly what I mean. I Love it great work :)

Whats the new game you are working on, I wouldn't mind helping with the beta or whatever if you need anything.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS