• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Untitled - Procedural world game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
41 replies to this topic

#21 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2176

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:39 AM

Looks very cool man. Do you guys have a site up yet? I'm interested in following, not joining. I like it!

No, sorry not yet.. But there might be a site up after summer, which would be in time for simple multiplayer.

More screens:
old screenshot
old screenshot
new screenshot

We need a generator guy to make a new world generator from scratch! Read the first post for more information.
Please note that your mastery of math and how a cpu executes code must be top notch.
Otherwise you must fill that gap during development :)
If you are interested in joining, please show some previous work, or something relevant to generating a world.

Sponsor:

#22 MERKB   Members   -  Reputation: 120

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:47 AM

To Kaptein, and any moderators who I hope will see this: It seems as if many of your posts on this thread are being seriously negatively rated. I understand that not everyone would agree with your project (or your style of communication) but it seems like maybe someone is out to sabotage your rep or negatively affect the project. Might be something to keep an eye on, I don't know if the mods have any ability to track someone who negatively rates vindictively....

#23 lmlPezlml   Members   -  Reputation: 101

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

Hey Kaptein I'm a "generator guy" and I'm still interested in helping out! If you want to exchange email addresses with a PM or something then I'll show you a few screenshots of my experiments in the field over the years. I've actually recently been working on a maze generator and a fractal terrain generator which uses various types of fractal noise and compositing to achieve some interesting effects. Over the years I've written various random map generators (one of the most fun what a little game where the maze would continuously change behind your back) and even a planet generator which created fractal spherical meshes at various levels of detail depending on distance. I'm sure I've told you this already as well but outside of the game context I've spent a lot of time messing around with the applications of fractals in music and art, all using programatically generated material of course!
Please drop me an email man I'd love to get in on this!

#24 thecheeselover   Members   -  Reputation: 330

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

It really looks nicer than minecraft. There are more effects like fog from lava. But I hope the game concept will be different (I just checked the screenshots, I didn't read) because I saw almost the same items and textures...
Hide yo cheese! Hide yo wife!

#25 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2176

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:21 AM

Still looking for a world-generator guy :)
Longterm!

Read first post! Make sure you support ext_gpu_shader4

#26 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2176

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

Need a good programmer interested in procedural generation to look me up =)
some changes made in development has changed the nature of the generator from realtime to "server-side"
which means that it doesnt have to be so super optimized anymore, while on the other hand it needs to be more creative :)

#27 PhyerBoss   Members   -  Reputation: 656

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

I think alot of these down votes might be sparking from the fact that the op is kind of in his own way "ignoring questions". Maybe not intentionally. Or meaning to be rude. But the way he's posting "updates" and not addressing what does seem like perfectly genuine queries. May be rubbing alot of people the wrong way. Plus a bit of the wording used in the main post.

Other than that, this looks highly promising! I hope to see more on it as well. And to the Op. It doesn't matter how long you been on the scene. In the industry and how annoying most people may come off as. You owe it more to yourself. Your team and your work. To try and tone it back just a little. As you never really know who might be viewing these things. And 1st impressions can usually be really hard to reverse.

Other than that. Good luck on this. It looks very good.

Edit:
Ok, correction to my post. It looks like Op is actually answering the questions now. Good show!

But still theres that hint of "attitude" there^^;

Edited by PhyerBoss, 28 July 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#28 greentiger   Members   -  Reputation: 142

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

The screenshots look very nice and the eye candy is very good-- but I think Minecraft is a fad and does not seem "deep" to me.
More engaging activities are going to be needed to make it a "game" vs. a virtualized LEGO box.
By "better" do you mean there are going to be new game play modes? You could make it like a TRIBES game (CTF over vast terrains--and one class a builder class).
However, it seems to me engines like this would probably garner more attention as SDKs for RPGs of all kinds: adventure games, MMO engines, and TBS.
Destiny of the Sword -- multi-player turn based war game and TRPG: Recruitment Thread - Group Homepage

#29 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2176

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

The screenshots look very nice and the eye candy is very good-- but I think Minecraft is a fad and does not seem "deep" to me.
More engaging activities are going to be needed to make it a "game" vs. a virtualized LEGO box.
By "better" do you mean there are going to be new game play modes? You could make it like a TRIBES game (CTF over vast terrains--and one class a builder class).
However, it seems to me engines like this would probably garner more attention as SDKs for RPGs of all kinds: adventure games, MMO engines, and TBS.

truth be told, it will be nothing like minecraft... the main post is most likely outdated since i made it quite a while ago
but id like it to be vague still, and try to avoid answering questions that will reveal what we are in truth making here
lets just say we are aiming big (scope-wise), and it won't really be minecraft as you know it

im a huge fan of how you can make what you want in minecraft, but when im done with my project, that creativity is still there, its just not easily obtained
given the nature of computers today, and this project, its just a fact that players will have to fight for the right to settle anywhere
i hope that helps

edit: if you hadnt written TRIBES, i probably never would have said this...
but god i miss tribes... tribes 2 just showed me what can truly be done on an epic scale
jetpacks, laser guns, exo-skeletons that signify classes (with their inherent abilities).. its all going to be there, eventually
this has been the plan for a while now, and it looks like its going to be possible to do, but actions speak louder than words.. i wish i could be more certain
its above all else, going to take a load of time... :)
there are just so many things that need to be worked out and in-place before all the fun stuff

#30 Phenoca   Members   -  Reputation: 114

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

ANY

Good luck.

>The world is generated as the player moves around,

Agreed.

The first step is to make a better game than what is currently minecraft, in every possible way. Which has been very hard, because this is new territory, and there is a physical limit to what can be managed by a single computer. Even if modern.

Peer-to-peer...

You will be paid duly, if you work tirelessly just like everyone else on this project. The people already working on the project are people I know from way back, and I asked them because they have a never-say-die attitude, and tirelessly man up and get things done (eventually!).

Exciting - not because I want to get involved but becaue this is the only way to make an MMO :)
Intriguing job experience/backgrounds.

#31 Nick Soole   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

Should you require a sound designer / music composer please view my website which has examples of my musical work.
www.nicksoole.com
Trained in composition and sound engineering

email: nicksoole@gmail.com

#32 Konidias   Members   -  Reputation: 214

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

Maybe it's just me... but I'm not digging the look of the game. Minecraft works because it keeps everything simple and blocky. But it seems you want the blocky levels but you're adding this realistic lighting and effects... which looks totally out of place. I think the mountains being covered in darkness doesn't look aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Stuff is getting totally lost in shadows, in broad daylight, and that shouldn't be the case.

If you could pixelate your shadows and give them more of a dark purple/blue color and also lighten them up a bit, I think they might look great. But right now it just looks like blocks being lit by photo-real lighting and it is just inconsistent to me.

Same thing goes for the sky.. Clouds are all anti-aliased but the world is blocky... Just doesn't fit. But again, this is just my opinion...

Good luck with your game. :)
Thrones Online - Tactical Turnbased RPG
Visit my website to check out the latest updates on my online game

#33 greentiger   Members   -  Reputation: 142

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

truth be told, it will be nothing like minecraft... the main post is most likely outdated since i made it quite a while ago
but id like it to be vague still, and try to avoid answering questions that will reveal what we are in truth making here
lets just say we are aiming big (scope-wise), and it won't really be minecraft as you know it

im a huge fan of how you can make what you want in minecraft, but when im done with my project, that creativity is still there, its just not easily obtained
given the nature of computers today, and this project, its just a fact that players will have to fight for the right to settle anywhere
i hope that helps

edit: if you hadnt written TRIBES, i probably never would have said this...
but god i miss tribes... tribes 2 just showed me what can truly be done on an epic scale
jetpacks, laser guns, exo-skeletons that signify classes (with their inherent abilities).. its all going to be there, eventually
this has been the plan for a while now, and it looks like its going to be possible to do, but actions speak louder than words.. i wish i could be more certain
its above all else, going to take a load of time... :)
there are just so many things that need to be worked out and in-place before all the fun stuff

I would still love to see this kind of thing for an MMO (especially a build-your-own-MMO kit).
You'd have players with game-defined classes and abilities and "DMs" to build stuff.
I think it'd be cool as a player to see DMs build new scenarios.
Destiny of the Sword -- multi-player turn based war game and TRPG: Recruitment Thread - Group Homepage

#34 ZenDavis   Members   -  Reputation: 133

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

You're clearing ripping off Minecraft and it's coming off as pathetic. There is literally nothing unique, inspired, or original about what you've showcased so far, and what's worse is the fact that in light of this complete lack of creativity, you've simply stated that you won't respond to your critics.

Seriously. I hope this project falls into a pit of creepers and never sees the light of day. I can already see your design team chats: "Minecraft made a lot of money. Lets rip it off wholesale."

Anyone who joins this project is a hack. At least the people who made Terraria attempted to do something different.

And that is my feedback.
Work hard. Become something.

#35 B O N E S   Members   -  Reputation: 93

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

Meh, you can't really say it's a ripoff of minecraft as the OP didn't really go in to specific gameplay aspects. The only things the OP has in the game's description that minecraft brought to the block building "genre" that the OP has in his game is crafting and unique terrain generation. There were games before that like infiniminer with blockbuilding, mining, and exploring to some degree.

#36 mikeman   Members   -  Reputation: 2254

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:34 AM

You're clearing ripping off Minecraft and it's coming off as pathetic. There is literally nothing unique, inspired, or original about what you've showcased so far, and what's worse is the fact that in light of this complete lack of creativity, you've simply stated that you won't respond to your critics.

Seriously. I hope this project falls into a pit of creepers and never sees the light of day. I can already see your design team chats: "Minecraft made a lot of money. Lets rip it off wholesale."

Anyone who joins this project is a hack. At least the people who made Terraria attempted to do something different.

And that is my feedback.

Yeah, because as we all know Minecraft didn't shamelessly rip off any game at all...*cough* infiniminer *cough*

Get over it, people. If due to Minecraft's success we have a new subgenre-building game- it's allright. Geez.

#37 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2176

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

drivel

i have no idea how to respond to this, other than, why did you even press post?

i suppose i could use this moment so say, the project is still very much alive =)
thanks for all the interest so far

there's been a whole lot of fixing, and i foresee alot of rewriting as well... streamlining stuff, i guess
right now we are implementing multiplayer =)
cheers

#38 JimC1664   Members   -  Reputation: 179

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

I like the sound of this project, every thing about it really.

Is the programming posting still available? I'm not sure if I fit criteria, I am not expert on noise but I am familiar with all the terms you mentioned.
I do not have an extensive collection of projects to demonstrate my ability, however luckily the last thing I demoed was a procedural galaxy, see;
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/610242-procedural-galaxy/page__p__4859058#entry4859058
Cloudy bit is perlin.

if you care more detail on myself is on this very category; http://www.gamedev.net/topic/610949-programmer-looking-for-project/

On a side note, have you considered the marching cubes algorythm? which if you are unaware would make your world smooth instead of voxely. I don't know maybe you like the whole voxel thing, just you seem to be going a more realistc look than say minecraft.

#39 Agamemnus   Members   -  Reputation: 97

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

Actually, besides the backend difference, there is an enormous difference between Minecraft and FBcraft. The name, and a quick search, should give it away. Kaptein doesn't want to say it, so I won't...

#40 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2176

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:41 PM

I like the sound of this project, every thing about it really.

Is the programming posting still available? I'm not sure if I fit criteria, I am not expert on noise but I am familiar with all the terms you mentioned.
I do not have an extensive collection of projects to demonstrate my ability, however luckily the last thing I demoed was a procedural galaxy, see;
http://www.gamedev.n...58#entry4859058
Cloudy bit is perlin.

if you care more detail on myself is on this very category; http://www.gamedev.n...ng-for-project/

On a side note, have you considered the marching cubes algorythm? which if you are unaware would make your world smooth instead of voxely. I don't know maybe you like the whole voxel thing, just you seem to be going a more realistc look than say minecraft.

sadly i havent really come across "marching cubes" but i have indeed heard of it
maybe ill check it out

its never too late to change how cubes are stored, i guess, even if it means some major rewriting

btw. this project has had ALOT of people wanting to join, only to realize the scope and length, and then proceed the "fade out"
i guess its the nature of such an endeavour, but its also getting old and its also very disrespectful to us who work so hard to make this happen.
and yes, i guess a generator-guy post is still open, though since not everything can be generated, and since the world just simply has to be static (but also very large)
the world is going to have to be modeled, if only to reduce traffic between nodes, clients etc.

but, generators also create some pretty unbelievable stuff with the right layering, so if you are willing to put a respectable amount of effort into that aspect, then yes you will be very welcome
the initial outline of the world should be shaped by a generator, and then tweaked on by editors
considering this, the generator doesnt have to be optimized and watered down as it used to be, which makes room for some very interesting stuff :)
right now, it still is being depended on 100%, which means one could start right off the bat generating new and interesting enviroments

i'd also like to add:
the world is going to be divided into nodes ala EVE online, and that system is already in prototype stage. wether or not 1 continent per node is never going to be set in stone
the multiplayer is just begun upon by me, but im struggling with some bugs, which after that is fixed ill have to go over every line of code (30k lines!) in the engine itself
just to make sure it's not stupid code, streamline it, rewrite stuff, sort stuff into files (i have stupidly long code files!) and after all that ill implement the multiplayer part more seriously
another aspect that seriously lacking is models, animation and all that.. but the renderer is very hard on my laptop as it is, so hopefully i can figure out something to make it faster

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS