• Create Account

I got mouse

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Mouse Trap (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Is he gonna bite?

1. Yes (13 votes [43.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.33%

2. No (7 votes [23.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

3. He's not a mouse (10 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 speciesUnknown   Members   -  Reputation: 527

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:39 AM

The pitfall trap with water at the bottom seems like a good idea. The mouse isn't going to drown if you check the trap in the morning after you wake up.I'm not dead set against killing the mouse. I've had to euthenase injured animals before (e.g. fish that got cancer and started swimming on their side, birds which were mauled by family cats). But you aren't really fixing anything by killing one single mouse. It's not like all the disease is going to go away just because you kill one mouse.

Anyway, there are articles on the internets with various opinions on how to humanely kill a mouse. Spring traps and molten lava are not among them.

You'd think so, but due to small lung capacity and not being designed for swimming, after a couple hours they'll be dead. If you want to be more humane I hear putting bleach in the water will kill them faster. It still sucks for the mouse but at least they die fast instead of slow.

If you're going to get them it usually happens shortly after you go to bed/turn the lights off, so unless you get a mouse that can tread water for 6 hours, it's pretty boned.

Hmm, good thinking, I guess its unlikely to be able to tread water for long. Best bet would be to use a large bucket so it cant jump out. I would still want to avoid causing it any unnecessary suffering. Adding bleach to the water isn't going to make this any better; i would rather drown for 6 hours than go blind and choke on my own blood for 2 hours. Chances are, whoever has used bleach in this way didnt notice the water being full of blood because of the bleach.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!

Sponsor:

#22 EricRRichards   Members   -  Reputation: 105

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

Just use a couple big-ass spring traps. Not the cheapo grocery-store mouse-sized ones, but a genuine rattrap, the kind that will break fingers if you accidentally trip it, and thus will cause instant death for the little mousie. Sometimes the little cheap traps don't break their necks, so they're just pinned under, scrabbling away until you check in the morning.

Use peanut butter on the trigger, they love that stuff, and its much harder for them to steal than cheese.

#23 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

Hmm, good thinking, I guess its unlikely to be able to tread water for long. Best bet would be to use a large bucket so it cant jump out. I would still want to avoid causing it any unnecessary suffering. Adding bleach to the water isn't going to make this any better; i would rather drown for 6 hours than go blind and choke on my own blood for 2 hours. Chances are, whoever has used bleach in this way didnt notice the water being full of blood because of the bleach.

Maybe it wasn't bleach. I just used water when I did it, but my roommate told me about his dad doing it (this is why I ended up doing it) and he used some sort of chemical that made the death faster. I remember it being some sort of household cleaning agent I think.

edit:
http://issmousetraps.blogspot.com/2007/09/iss-mouse-traps-are-humane.html

there's an interesting article. Looks like they drown pretty quickly anyway or you can use the trap humanely by not having any water in it as long as the bucket is deep enough.

#24 speciesUnknown   Members   -  Reputation: 527

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

Maybe it wasn't bleach. I just used water when I did it, but my roommate told me about his dad doing it (this is why I ended up doing it) and he used some sort of chemical that made the death faster. I remember it being some sort of household cleaning agent I think.

edit:
http://issmousetraps...are-humane.html

there's an interesting article. Looks like they drown pretty quickly anyway or you can use the trap humanely by not having any water in it as long as the bucket is deep enough.

No household cleaning agent is designed to kill a multicellular organism. If you try to use chemicals you're going to be looking at something out of a SAW movie. My idea of a humane kill is one which takes effect within a few seconds.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!

#25 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:58 PM

No household cleaning agent is designed to kill a multicellular organism. If you try to use chemicals you're going to be looking at something out of a SAW movie. My idea of a humane kill is one which takes effect within a few seconds.

It wasn't to kill them on its own, it was to get them to drown faster. Not sure if it was to make it harder to swim, get them excited so they breathed more (greater chance of breathing in water), or disorienting them so they couldn't swim as well.

#26 Moe   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1248

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

Just use a couple big-ass spring traps. Not the cheapo grocery-store mouse-sized ones, but a genuine rattrap, the kind that will break fingers if you accidentally trip it, and thus will cause instant death for the little mousie. Sometimes the little cheap traps don't break their necks, so they're just pinned under, scrabbling away until you check in the morning.

Use peanut butter on the trigger, they love that stuff, and its much harder for them to steal than cheese.

Amen to that. Peanut butter totally does the trick.

#27 Rixter   Members   -  Reputation: 785

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

Nah. Meese can climb. Unless the surface of the container is smooth. Put some lava on the bottom of it.

I agree with the lava, I've never seen a mouse swim in it for long.

#28 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

So I've only trapped a couple of ghosts :)
I like the Walrus best.

#29 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19658

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

Mice are sly and I have great respect for them. Bought 3 mousetraps. All sprung. All cheese was taken. No mouse. Dad had to stay up all night and use a similar system to yours to trap the rodent.

Why slide a sheet post capture? Put the trap on a sheet in the first place >.> And why kill it? It's not it's fault you were sloppy and let a mouse get into your house :P

Same thing happened to my dad. Two or three mousetraps, all sprung. Didn't work. Had to get a slightly more advanced mouse trap (like this but cheap and non-electric - a door closes behind them, trapping them (I think it killed it to, but I don't remember how - probably a spring)). We also use chunky peanut butter instead of cheese, since they love it + have to stay around to link the switch (as mentioned by other posters).

Don't use rat poison if you have little kids in the house who might be enticed to eat the bright blue candy-looking stuff.
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#30 froop   Members   -  Reputation: 636

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

i had good success with one of these when i had a little visitor

Posted Image

it doesnt harm the mouse and its not expensive at all

#31 EqualityAssignment   Members   -  Reputation: 169

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

+1 for froop's image. I've got 3 of those, one mouse sized (used frequently, cats bring mice in all the time), one medium sized (not used much), and one raccoon sized (used frequently in the past, raccoons come in to eat the cat food). They work wonders.

The raccoons go out to a park, and the mice just get tossed in some dense bushes somewhere outside. Same with the birds, lizards, and bugs too. Damn cats. >.<

And yeah, don't stick your fingers near the mouse, it will chomp you. If you see it in the open, toss something, like your sweater, over it, and scoop it up. Then your set!

#32 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4341

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

I've had 100% kill rate with electronic mouse traps and peanut butter. The mice don't even get a chance to touch the peanut butter, so you can take out an entire family just by dumping the mouse and turning the switch back on a few times.

This trap has got 9 mice so far in 2 years. KILLING SPREE.

Victor Electronic Mouse Trap

Oh man, I just noticed they also make 3x and 10x multi-kill traps. That's awesome.

#33 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3555

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

This thread is ridiculous. Just capture him and put him back outside.

Put some peanut butter on a blanket on a tall box or container, per Wan's diagram. Then bring the box outside, and gently let him run out into the grass. Then you both resume your lives.

#34 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

This thread is ridiculous. Just capture him and put him back outside.

Put some peanut butter on a blanket on a tall box or container, per Wan's diagram. Then bring the box outside, and gently let him run out into the grass sewers. Then you both resume your lives.

I live in the geographical center of a goddamn HUGE city man. If I let it go outside there is 99.99% chances that it will get right back inside my house or some else's.
I like the Walrus best.

#35 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:52 AM

I just made eye contact with the motherfucker. It reminded me of this bartender-girl who used to serve me the beer...

...I think I'm gonna kill it XD
I like the Walrus best.

#36 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1756

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:55 AM

You know for an owl you suck at catching mice. :rolleyes:

#37 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:16 AM

so true Posted Image
I like the Walrus best.

#38 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 21430

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

I just made eye contact with the motherfucker. It reminded me of this bartender-girl who used to serve me the beer...

Finally.

Stick a few blocks of mouse poison around the house, including near where his favorite bread is located. Wait a few days after you see he has nibbled the blocks. Problem solved.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#39 Moe   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1248

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

Finally.

Stick a few blocks of mouse poison around the house, including near where his favorite bread is located. Wait a few days after you see he has nibbled the blocks. Problem solved.

Except you then have to deal with a dead, rotting mouse somewhere in your house.

#40 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

Mouse poison dries them out like mummies. They don't get decomposed.
I like the Walrus best.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS