• Create Account

Fantasy turn based strategy game needs programmers!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 greentiger   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:25 PM

WHO WE ARE:
We are a small group of friends looking to create a game and perhaps even a small LLC.

TEAM NAME:
We call ourselves the Hack & Slash group.

PROJECT NAME:
Destiny of the Sword (aka "DotS").

BRIEF DESCRIPTION:
We are a small group of friends (3 of us currently working on the project) trying to find the people and resources to produce a fantasy, tactical, turn based game like Final Fantasy Tactics. This first game (hopefully) in a series of games. Once we get a talented person or persons we would like to finish the project in 12-18 months. The game will have single player and multi-player components. Currently we plan to use 2D sprites from Battle of Wesnoth as stand-in graphics until we can get 3D models. We will use freely available assets at first. We will replace the borrowed assets with original assests over time. We already have a clear goal on things like units, powers, skills, and design -- we just need someone (or someones) to help us realize the goal! We have been working on the design for quite a long time and the design documents are more or less finalized but have had poor luck trying to find someone to help us create the code.

TARGET AIM:
The first game (this game) will be freeware.
Sequels may possibly be retail.

COMPENSATION:
This is a free project from an indie designer.
No compensation will be available unless we secure grant money.
Future projects (if this one is successful) may be retail.

TECHNOLOGY:
Undecided, and depends on who we get to help us.
Possibilities we've considered:
+ OGRE3D, Java Monkey Engine, Unity, python (such as GalaxyMage)
+ We need the game engine, map editor, army builder applications

TALENT NEEDED:
A game programmer and back up
A 2D artist for game assets
A sound engineer for sound effects and music

TEAM STRUCTURE:
Project lead and lead designer: Floyd (myself), Anchorage AK
Project server host: Aaron, Portland OR
We interact through email, skype, and instant messenger.

http://anet.dnsalias.org/hns/

Email me at greentiger@gci.net
This address is heavily spam filtered so please put GAMEDEV in the subject somewhere

PREVIOUS WORK:
This is our first project (none).

Encouraging only.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (EDIT):
As far as what separates the game from others: the focus of the game is primarily multi-player--the game is not meant for quickie games. It will have a single player mode but the focus is on multi-player (with armies being built using a point-buy system similar to table top war games). I would like the game to taken into the area of serious competition and so we will be working hard on making the battle system interesting. The system has a rock-paper-scissors system where certain classes are able to more effectively damage other classes. Another goal is we want to include the map editor for the game so that players can create battle maps. The game has a thorough design document.
Destiny of the Sword -- multi-player turn based war game and TRPG: Recruitment Thread - Group Homepage

Sponsor:

#2 ambinate   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:26 PM

are you still looking for a composer? can't say i can offer much help with sound effects, but if you still need music...

#3 greentiger   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:16 AM

Sure we'll take any assistance we can get -- our project is going much slower than any of us would like but any assets would be welcome including music, sound effects, 2D sprites, tiles and tilesets, and 3D models even. We would need various music pieces--based mostly on terrain types. Music compositions for: woodland battlegrounds, plains, castles, towns, "evil"/haunted lands, and "threatening" music that plays during an enemy's turn, and possibly another set of music that plays during an ally's turn.

One of my favorite TBS games in terms of its musical score is Vandal Hearts 1. Final Fantasy Tactics was OK but most of the TBS games have muted music (at least it seems like it to me, VH1's music stands out distinctly). You can probably find music samples all over the net.
Destiny of the Sword -- multi-player turn based war game and TRPG: Recruitment Thread - Group Homepage

#4 greentiger   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

Our team still needs help! Right now we are looking for help with creation of sprite sheets for our fantasy game.

Each sprite sheet has the following poses: at-ease, ready, attack 1, attack 2, attack 3, power use (special ability), status, block, power1 (spell cast1), power2 (spell cast2), extra (general use like arrows for archers).

Each frame is 128px by 128px with the characters at a 3/4 view approximately taking up 75% of the frame (about 96px).

We'd need one sheet per class and there are 24 classes (though some are just variants of weaker classes) and four monsters required: skeletons, zombies, drakes (a small dragon type creature), and death (a grim reaper-like demon).

If you are interested in this, or know someone who is, please reply to me by email: greentiger@gci.net. My email address is heavily spam filtered so please be sure to add something like [GAMEDEV] in the title.

Thanks!

EDIT: It's possible we can make arrangements for an exchange of some kind.

#5 PhyerBoss   Members   -  Reputation: 563

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hmm, this seems to be a pretty solid project. No idea why you are not hearing back from coders.

Well, there are quite a few I seen posting on here. So, its but a matter of time.

Edit:
As for sound effects & music. I can recommend this guy:
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/607113-offering-looking-for-music-and-sounds-look-no-further/

Edited by PhyerBoss, 28 July 2011 - 01:28 PM.

#6 greentiger   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

Hmm, this seems to be a pretty solid project. No idea why you are not hearing back from coders.

Well, there are quite a few I seen posting on here. So, its but a matter of time.

Thanks for the feedback, and I definitely believe in the idea.
It's just so difficult finding talented people willing to devote their time--SRPGs are just not the "in" thing.

#7 Tiblanc   Members   -  Reputation: 552

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

It might help if you provided more info about your game. You're essentially asking someone else to invest 500~1000+ hours of their time for free into a project that looks as generic as the next one. Try adding some details about core concepts and the design work you have done so far. Generally, programmers also have their game design and look around for art assets like you currently are, so you need to have something solid for them to drop theirs in favor of yours.
Developer for Novus Dawn : a Flash Unity Isometric Tactical RPG - Forums - Facebook - DevLog

#8 greentiger   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

It might help if you provided more info about your game. You're essentially asking someone else to invest 500~1000+ hours of their time for free into a project that looks as generic as the next one. Try adding some details about core concepts and the design work you have done so far. Generally, programmers also have their game design and look around for art assets like you currently are, so you need to have something solid for them to drop theirs in favor of yours.

Fair point.

Here is a prototype of our game engine before the developer left: Gallery

As far as what separates the game from others: the focus of the game is primarily multi-player--the game is not meant for quickie games. It will have a single player mode but the focus is on multi-player (with armies being built using a point-buy system similar to table top war games). I would like the game to taken into the area of serious competition and so we will be working hard on making the battle system interesting. The system has a rock-paper-scissors system where certain classes are able to more effectively damage other classes. Another goal is we want to include the map editor for the game so that players can create battle maps. Besides, I love tactical games and have played MANY (finishing the ones I like and giving up on the others that seem bland to me).

The game has quite a thorough design document for the project--it has solid direction and (I believe) realistic and achievable goals. Beyond designing the combat system, classes, skills, and progression mechanics I have also been adding to the artwork where I can. Collecting royalty free art as well as little bits and pieces that I can contribute with my skill set (recently I created the unit indicators that will show direction and team affiliation). I will probably do menuing graphics next.

BTW: I looked at your game and it looks beautiful--very impressive. If you need anyone to build maps for you I'll do so.

#9 FounderSim   Members   -  Reputation: 105

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:45 PM

Is this an actual RPG or just a TBS battle thing? YOu keep mentioning RPG.

#10 greentiger   Members   -  Reputation: 137

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

Is this an actual RPG or just a TBS battle thing? YOu keep mentioning RPG.

The project started as a SRPG but it is changing focus to a TBS game.
The SP, when made, will have RPG elements to it but right now the focus is MP.
Is your PHP engine made already or have you started on it?

#11 FounderSim   Members   -  Reputation: 105

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

It is not finished, but it is started. I wish to talk to you further about this project. Contact me via msn; sim@po2.net Thanks for the reply.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

#12 Nexeh   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

I'm interested. Go ahead and email me. I'll send an email to you as well.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS