• Create Account

- - - - -

Effectively Utitlize Online Social Tools

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Enigmati   Members   -  Reputation: 149

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

Startup for any company in any industries requires an ocean of knowledge. It's a requirement to be constantly on google or in a library. It also requires one to be extremely agile competing in this age of information super highway. Several online services are extremely convenient to utilize and archive notes for research.

• Dropbox: Sync your files online and across computers with @Dropbox. 2GB account is free! This is extremely helpful if you move to places to places. I have my project folder synced in Dropbox and I can work at home or when I am outside anytime anywhere without the need to carry a portable drive or constantly copying files, though it requires an internet connection to sync.
  • Delicious: Its tagging system makes bookmarking easier than ever. It allows you to access your library of bookmark anywhere anytime with ease. One thing to note is not to be too crazy with naming new tags. You want to keep them at a controllable amount, and it does require you to get back and organize the tags from time to time.
  • Google Doc: Take notes, doodle, paste images, record legal documents, draft game designs, create tables all now with ease and its all online now. Take advantage of the cloud system offered by Google. If you have a gmail account already, there's no reason not to activate this tool within your account to take its maximum advantage.
  • Gmail Labels: Labels and Filters are one of the strongest features Gmail has to offer. Learn and play around with them, and your whole gmail experience will be much more organized and advanced.
  • Amazon: Amazon is good for 3 things: buy/sell cheap books, download Kindle ebooks, download audio books. Buy and sell books are not ideal due to the fact that you have to handle and ship the item after you read it improving your educational budget. More efficiently comes the Kindle ebooks, which will not require you to actually buy a Kindle but instead you can read it on your laptop, phone apps, and desktops. The program is extremely easy to use for you to highlight, bookmark and take notes. If you drive everyday to work/school, an audio book is a must. You can burn it on CD or your portable music device/phone with you and you can learn whenever, wherever. Books are cheap schools, free mentors, and top of the world friends.
  • Twitter: More and more gaming organizations are pushing to use Twitter both to network and publish in the industry. I didn't really get the app first, but after using it, it really is a convenient tool for both personal and business purposes. It has also been integrated into Linkedin and Gamedev.net proving its usability. It's a really convenient light weight mini blog. Use this to record your ideas, rants, links, job hunts, search for topics, or anything related to your goals/project. You won't regret it.
  • Vi.sualize.us is much like Delicious but is mainly for image. It's more about blogging now than it is to store image found online; I wouldn't recommend the tool if you want to store your image reference on here as a link can sometime disappear and that way you lose your reference. You may find it more useful than I do, and if you do, share how you manage to utilize it effectively
I've been developing a video game project over this one year span preparing a prototype demo to pitch to the publishers. The variety and amount of research and readings are extremely overwhelming and enjoyable at the same time. Over the time period, I have gathered some really resourceful materials that really helped me along the way, and I hope this research blog can help all those they wish to pursue the same path. I'm still a noob, so please comment, criticize and share ideas, and I will constantly update posted article if they are relevant to the topic.
http://gamedevarchive.blogspot.com

Chao Hui Lin | Game Developerlinchaoh@gmail.com
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS