• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

What should I be looking for if there's a resource leak in PIX while debugging DirectX programs?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 577

0Likes

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:23 AM

Whoever had used PIX for detecting DirectX resource leakage, what are the signs I need to look for in my program if leaking occurs? I've set up my PIX settings to go log all DirectX API calls, and view the log after running my program for 9 seconds. Should I look at how many times "Release()" was called in PIX and compare it to the total numbers of resources I have in my program?

If there are hints regarding PIX and searching for memory leaks, I'll be grateful. Thanks in advance. If you wanted me to post additional info, please let me know by posting a post, that way I can read what you guys wanted.

Currently, after I enabled D3D10_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG flag in D3DCreateDeviceAndSwapChain(), I can see in the Output window a lot of these messages being shown:

D3D10: WARNING: ID3D10Buffer::SetPrivateData: Existing private data of same name with different size found! [ STATE_SETTING WARNING #55: SETPRIVATEDATA_CHANGINGPARAMS ]
D3D10: INFO: ID3D10Device::PSSetShaderResources: A currently bound PixelShader ShaderResourceView is being deleted; so naturally, will no longer be bound. [ STATE_SETTING INFO #43: PSSETSHADERRESOURCES_UNBINDDELETINGOBJECT ]

Sponsor:

#2 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 577

0Likes

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

Doesn't people use PIX at all? Am I asking in the wrong subforum?

#3 Shuun   Members   -  Reputation: 123

2Likes

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

Look at destruction time, if it says "Never" then you did not release object.

#4 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 577

0Likes

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

Look at destruction time, if it says "Never" then you did not release object.

YEEAASS!!! Finally, a reply!

After your reply, and did a search, I found more answers!!

Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee418737(v=vs.85).aspx

I really want to thank you for giving me a hint in the PIX debugging. Love MSDN for more info on PIX, but hated Bing! for not searching correctly in MSDN Library. Google is probably in the same boat, since I was guessing what terms I should use to search for PIX stuffs, and nothing pops up. Until now! :rolleyes:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS