• Create Account

making a game that i can put on steam

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 rockofrocks   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

So im going to make a game and I would like to put it on steam but Im not sure of the things im going to need to know

What programming language do i need to know? the steamworks API is writtin in c++ so will i need to learn that language or can i learn another language that will work with c++?

and what will i need to learn to make the graphics? i do know some openGL but the tutorials im reading use outdated methods that no longer work, so if anyone knows any recently made OpenGL tutorials (besides nehe and videotutorialsrock) then feel free to say them.

and if i use openGL would i be able to sell the game or is there something i need to purchase to sell it?

thanks

Sponsor:

#2 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6109

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

So im going to make a game and I would like to put it on steam but Im not sure of the things im going to need to know

What programming language do i need to know? the steamworks API is writtin in c++ so will i need to learn that language or can i learn another language that will work with c++?

and what will i need to learn to make the graphics? i do know some openGL but the tutorials im reading use outdated methods that no longer work, so if anyone knows any recently made OpenGL tutorials (besides nehe and videotutorialsrock) then feel free to say them.

and if i use openGL would i be able to sell the game or is there something i need to purchase to sell it?

thanks

You don't have to purchase anything to use OpenGL commercially, you can use any language you want for steam games, flash games are allowed as long as they are wrapped up in an executable for example, if you want to use the steamworks API from another language you have to either write your own wrapper library or choose a language that can interface with C++ libraries.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#3 Slavik81   Members   -  Reputation: 360

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

I don't think there are many technical requirements for putting a game on Steam. There are games on there running with XNA, Flash and DosBox runtime environments, all kinds of secondary DRM programs, and a mess of different file configurations. Steam seems to be able to handle just about any game thrown at it, regardless of how crazy its configuration is.

As far as I know, the things you need to do to make a game that will go on Steam are exactly the same things you'd do for any other game. They have a few criteria that covers (at least) pricing, uniqueness, and quality. Your first step is to make a game. Then worry about distribution when you actually have something to show.

Read the licenses of any third-party code that you use, to ensure it allows you to sell works that use it. OpenGL will allow you to sell your game, as will countless other APIs and frameworks. You don't need Steamworks to put a game on Steam, either.

#4 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30384

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

The only challenge with getting a game on steam is the same challenge you face with any publisher -- your company needs to negotiate a publishing/distribution deal with them, which involves convincing them that you're product is worth their time/money and won't be harmful to their brand.

#5 Postie   Members   -  Reputation: 964

0Likes

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:03 AM

Not sure if you've seen this, but on the steam site there's a FAQ that deals with some of the questions you've posed:

http://www.steampowe...amworks/FAQ.php
Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog: ByteWrangler

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS