• Create Account

My [indie MMO] so far

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 JoeVanSickle   Members   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:56 PM

Hey guys I've made some more progress...

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYsbQ18-2mM

[clicky] If you want to see more...

~Model Sharing/Viewing right in your Browser

Sponsor:

#2 j-locke   Members   -  Reputation: 815

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:50 AM

That is looking very good! Keep up the good work!

#3 farcodev   Members   -  Reputation: 160

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:14 PM

just a bump, good luck in your project it seems tio be well :)
---------------------------------
FAR Colony http://farcolony.blogspot.com/

#4 JoeVanSickle   Members   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:00 PM

Update posted.

#5 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7117

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:05 AM

This is really great :o, awesome feature list already completed !!
You should consider to write a developer journal here at GDnet (it's free) and post some screens at the IOTD thread.

Some questions:
- How long is your project in development ?
- Is all art done by yourself ?
- What video tool do you use to create your video ?

#6 JoeVanSickle   Members   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

@Ashaman73: Thanks for the feedback I will consider doing what you mentioned. Development Started June 2ed 2010 Ssooo.. 413 days ago (1.13 years). I first started to try to create a game like this one about 6 years ago (starting over a lot and redesigning things better since then). Iv never gotten this far. Based on current projections I'm predicting it will take another year more to get to beta. I did all the art-work for the game (meshes/textures/gui etc etc), which surprisingly I'm starting to dread doing Posted Image. I'm also starting to notice that I get that question a lot Posted Image... I am torn as to whether I should try to start up a team, I have tried before and it didn't go so hot. I used windows live movie maker 2011 for the progress video but I do not recommend it as it butchers the video's quality and you can only output one format; it's fairly easy to use though.

#7 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7117

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

Ashaman73: Thanks for the feedback I will consider doing what you mentioned. Development Started June 2ed 2010 Ssooo.. 413 days ago (1.13 years). I first started to try to create a game like this one about 6 years ago (starting over a lot and redesigning things better since then). Iv never gotten this far. Based on current projections I'm predicting it will take another year more to get to beta. I did all the art-work for the game (meshes/textures/gui etc etc), which surprisingly I'm starting to dread doing Posted Image. I'm also starting to notice that I get that question a lot Posted Image... I am torn as to whether I should try to start up a team, I have tried before and it didn't go so hot. I used windows live movie maker 2011 for the progress video but I do not recommend it as it butchers the video's quality and you can only output one format; it's fairly easy to use though.

You have made great progress in short time. I started my engine 1998 :o, my game together with a friend 2,5 years ago. I'm doing most of the work, including most of the art work, thought my friend helps a lot and is a more creative artist than me :wink:
The one tip I can give you is, that you should choose a simple art style when doing all the art yourself, take a look at runescape or minecraft, simple art still succesful.

Keep up the great work !

#8 JoeVanSickle   Members   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:10 AM

Update posted.

#9 fruki   Members   -  Reputation: 269

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:24 PM

Holy

Cow

#10 Nikke   Members   -  Reputation: 298

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:51 AM

Very awesome stuff! I hope your project gets off the ground because it looks very promising! Why do you have to use shader model 4.0? Isn't that overkill? Also, only vista/windows 7? You're putting off a lot of people in my opinion, might want to make it work for older computers as well. It doesn't look like the graphics can only be handled with newer PC's.
Ironbane MMO.
It's so cool I don't even need to give you a link for it.

#11 JoeVanSickle   Members   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

@Nikke: Thanks, I chose to use DirectX 11 (same goes for shader model 4.0) to make things easier for myself. I understand that that choice may have narrowed the potential audience I can reach. [clicky]
(DX11 makes viv win7/vista only)

Misc reasons for choosing DX11:
-I wanted to use the most up to date APIs for this project.
-I programmed all this by myself so I thought I'd make things easier and simpler by choosing just one DirectX version.
-I've got more experience with DirectX11 than with DX9.
-I have a DirectX11 graphics card
-DirectX11 is going to be supported further in the future than DX9.

-Win7's popularity is growing
-I wont be done with the project for about another year...

#12 JustChris   Members   -  Reputation: 149

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:30 PM

Hey this is CC Ricers from the ES boards. Just gotta repeat what I said there, so good job! Quite an accomplishment for the time you spent on it.

By the way now that I finally know what specs it needs to run on, will it use some DX11-specific features? My video card only supports up to DX10.
Electronic Meteor - My experiences with XNA and game development

#13 JoeVanSickle   Members   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:32 PM

@JustChris: Nahh, If you have Vista or Win7 you will be fine!

#14 landagen   Members   -  Reputation: 376

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

Man, your MMO looks awesome so far. Have you started building the server along with it? If so, what database and language are you using? I can understand your reluctance to start a team. I started one and found that I wanted to program more than I wanted to lead the team. Leading and organizing the team took up all my time to where I had no time to program so the team ended up failing. I would only start another team if someone else was willing to keep everything organized.

#15 JoeVanSickle   Members   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:08 PM

@landagen: Thank you! I've been working on the server/client side by side since very early on, I find it's best to get them both of the ground as early and as close to the same time as possible. All of my friends suck so sadly I can't really show off all the multi-player functionalities in the videos. The server/client are written in C++, I'm not using a database though. I haven't really found the need for one; I just need to save one file for each character and one for each account. The server reads and writes everything to different folders, I find the fore mentioned method to be lot more simple and strait forward than using a database. I get that question a lot though, perhaps I've always just missed something? I encountered frighteningly similar circumstances when I started up a team as well (previous project); this time around I'm going to be a lot more selective, and try to stick to 3 people max joining the team. I'm hoping that will solve the problems that I encountered before.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS