Should I just quit now? I'm 3 years in....

Started by
21 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years ago
Here is my situation, I'm at my third year second semester, (two more semesters to go) my GPA 3.64 and I'm in computer science major. I'm currently taking OpenGL and Java.... and I can't program anything. I tried working in my spare time here with a group.... and bam I failed, I haven't been able to make a program for a long while. I always get the most strangest errors. I follow the rules books and everythign else and it just crashes and burns. Won't compile give me the strangest compile errors and overall nothing I do has been good for the past year. I'm currently trying to do some shitty java homework and I've been at it for 6 hours.... and I've done nothing..... Working for 6 hours and I got nothing to show for it. What a joke of a programmer. I've been really down on myself and I just don't see how I can even compete with some of you people. I just think I should cut my losses and just go work at best buy and focus on my photography.... honestly seems to be the easiest way out. I just need some advice, encouragement anything whatsoever. I just feel like a huge failure right now and no matter how long I study or do work the java api is a joke in regards to how I should implement thign and overall... nothing I do ever works.... I'm probably the most pathethic programmer on the face of this net.... Try my hardest and nothing works.... six freaking ours later.
Advertisement
The best advice I ever received:

"Do what you have fun doing, doing anything else and your cheating yourself out of happiness"

edit: I was not trying to convince you stop programming, to clarify maybe you need to find a way of programming that fits you better. Or program something that interests you more.
But why would you quit on something you really want to do? You're a Computer Science major, obviously you have a vested interest in programming, and considering you're posting this on this site, game design. You're a junior learning to do what you want to do with a strong GPA. The only thing you can do is practice practice practice practice and then when you're sick of practicing keep practicing. A lot of people here are professionals or near professional; you're still just a student. Keep working and you'll get it.

See if you can trace what's causing your errors. Take everything a step at a time. Straight studying isn't necessarily going to help you be a better programmer, in fact it could make you worse. But practicing will do wonders. Computer Science is really all about application and problem solving. You find the challenge and you find a way to complete it, almost like playing a game. And the more you code random applications the better you'll get at it. Don't lose sight of your goals and don't lose hope, I'm sure you're doing much better than you're giving yourself credit for!
I always seem to be in the exact same spot every time I try out something new. For my current project I've set out to use Java instead of C++ like I did on the previous 3. I don't complain. In fact, I'm quite happy I've done so: it eliminated a whole lot of problems I faced with C++ and overall cut the bloating of my code almost in half. When I was implementing a file parser I damn near ripped half of my hair out and almost sliced my wrist before it was any how functional. Any how functional, because it's functionality is very, very limited. Then pathfinding, which I'm working on at the moment is in the process of ripping the other half of my hair out.

All in all, don't worry. I find that every time I program it's like a puzzle, where the solution is almost never clear and you'll probably change you mind about how you want to go about it multiple times. It seems like it happens to everyone. In fact, I would refuse to program if it was any different because then programming would just be boring. If anything, always try to enjoy your challenges. I wouldn't sweat it if you're not a good programmer. Everything comes with time, and the more errors you see, the more errors you know.

EDIT: Obviously, it's also important to realize that if you just don't like programming then there is not much you can do for it.

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

First, why did you choose Computer Science? Do you like programming computers? Can you see yourself programming computers for a living and enjoying it? Many people enjoy creating software for a living, but I doubt a majority of the population could handle it.

If you don't like the field then be happy that you learned the lesson early. Figure out a topic you enjoy and change majors. There is no shame in changing majors. Google says about 80% of all college students have changed majors at least once. If the field is not for you then you only harm yourself by sticking with it.

If you do like programming computers and are passionate about it and can see it for your career, then use your debugging skills on yourself to figure out why you can't program right now. Have you picked an actual solution to the problem? Do you have enough information about your problem that you can explain it to a human? Have you broken it down into small pieces that you can implement? If you need help discuss it with a teacher you trust.
What they both said....

Only you can decide if you want to continue - it's your life after all.

Programming is easy and it's also very hard. With more experience it get's easier with lots of "doh ! that's why it doesn't work moments". Seriously, one minute something looks like it's never going to work....and then you realise that it's just a stupid typo or something. You learn from these and get better one step at a time.

I'm self taught and have been programming for 25+ years in the Games Industry....I love it/hate it for different reasons.

I so agree with this though as previously posted....

"Do what you have fun doing, doing anything else and your cheating yourself out of happiness"

We all have only one life....

All the best and I hope you make the decision YOU are happy with.
Thanks for the advice... thing is I've wanted to Make video games since I was 3. That's been my dream. I tried learning on my own how to use C++ but never got far. Started in Computer Engineering in college since I like computers and already had a repair degree from my vocational high school. So far I've loved programming, I love finding out why things don't work. Or making something awesome. Overall I've been the top of my class almost always but lately.... I've been in a funk. I can't seem to program like I said before. I know that I love programming but... I don't know how long till I can keep going with this.... This stress... I don't understand thigns no matter how hard I try it's like calculus all over again and not the good part of it.... I really do want to continue and make my own indy game company... but I just don't see how I can do it... I don't have the skill to do it. It's so damn far away..... I have so much to learn and I feel like I don't have the capacity to do it... I feel like I won't find a job or support my family with this, I feel like I'm nothing special in the programming world.
How long has it been since you have fully completed a project?
I was having some similar feelings awhile back, I sat back 100% completed some fairly simple projects it made me feel alot better.

The frustration from the constant learning / applying.... sometimes it really nice to just sit back and complete something.

Even if its just a pong clone =p

How long has it been since you have fully completed a project?
I was having some similar feelings awhile back, I sat back 100% completed some fairly simple projects it made me feel alot better.

The frustration from the constant learning / applying.... sometimes it really nice to just sit back and complete something.

Even if its just a pong clone =p

Define "project".... last thing I did was some stupid text reader in assembler language about 6 months back.

Define "project".... last thing I did was some stupid text reader in assembler language about 6 months back.

When was the last time you worked on something game related?, You might have more fun programming a simple game than doing real world applications for your class =p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement