• Create Account

Console Development

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Moogle   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 September 2001 - 05:15 AM

How do you learn to program a say PS2 or XBox? I mean, you have to get backed up by a strong publisher in order to buy a development kit, right? And a strong publisher wouldnt support you if you didn''t eaven know how to program it! And does it use regular C++ and just another lib/api? If thats the case I could probably learn it in a month - if I got a kit....sob

Sponsor:

#2 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 07 September 2001 - 05:32 AM

Either work for a company that already does xbox/PS2 development and learn it there before striking out on your own, or establish a track record of publishing/delivering PC games and then get a publisher interested in porting one to console.

#3 mlambert   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 562

Posted 07 September 2001 - 07:32 AM

Even if you were a mega-smart person, it would take more than a month to learn to program for consoles, although I hear what you are saying.

It''s much more than just C++ and Libs, you need to learn about everything, from the specific memory/cache configurations to the processor itself.

Knowing C/C++ is a definate start, you really need to either get a job with a game company, or go to a few hacker sites to learn.

Marc Lambert

marc@darkhex.com

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS