• Create Account

How can I arrange my repository/version control on a hobby project for the best ease of use?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 The Communist Duck   Members   -  Reputation: 154

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

Hi. I've started a hobby project somewhat more seriously: documented, using github for hosting, etc.

I haven't really touched on version control before. I don't think git was a good idea to start with, but it feels nice to use. :)
I was wondering about how to organise branches and the repository in general. (This is a hobby engine, which I will develop along with/for the game I have planned out. It may be released as an engine/library later.)
Whilst generally talking to people about how to use git, I learnt that I should have a master branch, where code always compiles/runs; and then a development branch for more nightly usage; storage, pretty much. They also started talking about feature branches, milestone branches, and the like. These confused me.

Would two branches, one for finalised code, and one for development, work simply enough? Or could I make do with just the one?

Sponsor:

#2 Bregma   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5133

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:40 PM

I suggest you have a "master" branch (call it anything you want, it's git, nothing is hardcoded) that should always compile/run, and from which you do (early and often) releases. Host it offsite like at github.

Then, on your development machine(s), clone that branch, then branch for each bit of work you do, merging back to your local master when you;re done.

From time to time, synch your local master to the "master" master.

Never work directly on the "master" master. Never work directly on your local master, only ever work on feature/fix branches and merge them back when you're done.

That's as simple as you can get. Anything simpler gets complicated after a while.
Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS